Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

College Football is Starting to Bum Me out

+34 HS
dbill27's picture
July 17, 2021 at 5:40pm
188 Comments

With the recent NIL changes it is nice that these guys can make money, but I see the downsides are starting to be obvious and inevitable. Texas A&M fan site now offering to pay ten Grand an interview to players. And again, good for the players, but college football the way I’ve always loved it will never be the same. There’s going to be an arms race between fan bases as to who can pay kids the most. Kids decision on going to what school are going to be driven a lot more by who is paying the most. This is really going destroy the already small chances of non traditional powerhouses of ever breaking thru. Is Greg schiano able to sign all these 4 star players to go to Rutgers in a few years like he is right new? I don’t imagine Rutgers has any kind of fan base that drives traffic to a web site that can pay kids ten grand for an interview. 

The other thing I hate is the insistence on playoff expansion. As many as 12 teams is insane. What I’ve always loved about college ball is that unlike the pros, every game you better show up. Every game really matters. People tired of seeing the same 3 teams compete for the title are delusional that more playoff teams changes this. Ohio state has been ranked in the top 12 every year of the playoff. Now the best three teams have the luxury of resting starters towards the end, if Bama loses the iron bowl are the ever falling that far back in the rankings? I see rivalry games and the few really big powerhouse matchups that happen during the regular season as losing a lot of the excitement. I love the four teams because there’s 5 power conferences so right away, there’s a knife fight. All the arguing and controversy about who and what conference is the best is really what makes college football so great. I really think people don’t understand the difference between the sport of basketball where a couple talented guys can make the difference, vs a team sport where you need 30 plus super talented players to win it all. I don’t think These Cinderella runs by underdogs are going to happen the way people think it will. 

I always loved college ball because it wasn’t the nfl and everything I hated about the NFL and almost overnight I feel like college football became the NFL. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 188 Comments