Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

What Are the Random Things You Remember from Growing Up an OSU Football Fan That No Longer Exist?

+29 HS
BeatMeechigun's picture
July 9, 2021 at 11:41pm
161 Comments

1. The track on the field and the old South stands. I watched my first game from those bleachers with my dad.

2. Lane Avenue being closed to traffic and packed with a crowd of people pregame. Such an amazing scene.

3. The beautiful silver lettering in the endzones. The font hasn't changed, but the color has since the move to turf in 2007.

4. John Cooper's show every Sunday showing replay highlights of the game.

5. Hineygate and the Danger Brothers. No tailgate party will ever compare.

6. "Slobberknockers" (what the OSU DC at the time called big hits). Today these would be referred to as "targeting calls" because the opposing player usually needed time to recover and get back up.

7. The Horseshoe's grass turf making tackles. There always seemed to be chunks of sod flying and though not related to slips, I do remember the PSU white jerseys turning brown in the mud of the 1993 snow/rain game.

8. Keith Jackson. Gus and Klatt provide a nice broadcast, but nothing will ever compare to Keith painting the pregame scene of "The old Horseshoe, nestled along the banks of the Olentangy"

9. Neutron Man. The man simply danced in B-Deck and was mostly loved by all fans. Unfortunately, his legacy seems to be a herd of attention-craving super fans that have raced in to take his place.

10. The portable stadium lights that would come in for night games and late-season 3pm contests.

11. Fullbacks.

12a. Losing 5 straight and 6 of 7 to Illinois. Sure, upsets happen and Purdue has been the thorn in our side of late, but the idea of losing 5 in a row to the Illini program is now completely unfathomable.

12b. The ominous feeling of late November in the Cooper era. Thank you Tress, Urban, and Ryan for taking the rivalry so seriously. I can cautiously admit that I now gleefully look forward to that game every year.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 161 Comments