Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Spring Game Observations: Rushmen Package Changes

+7 HS
Cottonswab's picture
July 5, 2021 at 3:11pm
5 Comments

I was rewatching the spring game and I noticed some potential changes to the "rushmen package" for obvious passing situations.

It appeared to me that the the main change to the defensive front was that that the NT or 1-Tech moved to the 3-Tech position, so that there were 2 linemen aligned between each OG and OT.  During an actual game, I suspect that the NT might be subbed out for a 3T or DE.  

Behind the 4 man DL front, there was just one linebacker aligned in the middle and presumably responsible for both A gaps, between the center and each guard.  The OLBs / Strong Safeties / Bullets were lined up much deeper than the MLB.  

I also noticed that during the second half Offense vs. Defense scrimmage, the DEs would occasionally be rushing from a 2-point stance (standing up).  I never noticed them dropping into coverage, but it was an interesting wrinkle that I hadn't seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpUY2D4JIqg

Previous Rushmen Alignments

During the past 3 years, the most used rushmen package was a 3-3 alignment, with both OLBs (Browning, Harrison -> Mitchell) lined up on the LOS, outside the OTs.  The DEs would slide inside.  When Zack Harrison was lined up at NT, he would just engage the center and then drop back into coverage, when the OLBs both blitzed.  

I was personally not a fan of the various iterations of the 3-3 rushmen package.  It was never as effective as the previous rushmen packages with 4 DL.  

The 2017 squad had the best rushmen package that I can recall. The rushman package was a 4 DL front (Bosa, Lews, Hubbard, and Holmes), usually with one or two linebackers walked up the LOS, who would usually just drop back into coverage after the ball was snapped.  Both interior DL were often lined up between the OG and OTs.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PSAl9LThUg 

If the spring game is indicative of a schematic change, I am happy to see OSU going back to the a 4-man DL front and keeping the OLBs/Safties off the line of scrimmage.  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 5 Comments