Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Big Ten Presidents Tried to Keep Conversations About Season Secret

+5 HS
cledaybuck's picture
March 5, 2021 at 11:58am
75 Comments

Article below stating how Big Ten Presidents used a portal to try and keep their discussions concerning the football season and returning to campus from FOI requests.  Since WaPo is not free, here are a few quotes:

“I would be delighted to share information,” Wisconsin Chancellor Rebecca Blank responded in an email chain begun in August by Michigan President Mark Schlissel, “but perhaps we can do this through the Big 10 portal, which will assure confidentiality?”

After Schlissel asked his colleagues to share their experiences in dealing with the coronavirus on campus, Blank wrote: “Mark and others — please note that anything that arrives in or is sent from my email can be requested as a public record. I know I’m not the only one for whom this is true.”

Some of the university leaders responded to Schlissel’s request and shared their campuses’ experiences via email. Nebraska Chancellor Ronnie Green provided information about his school’s reopening efforts, while adding: “‘Ditto’ to Chancellor Blank’s request/comment. I share that same concern.” A Nebraska spokesperson declined to comment on the exchange.

Not long after Blank shared her concerns with her colleagues, Schlissel wrote in an individual message to Blank: “becky, if you simply delete emails after sending, does that relieve you of FOIA obligations? I share your concern of course.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/03/05/big-ten-presidents-port...

All of this information should be public at public universities.

(Mod Edit: Potential hot-button topic. Asking for everyone to be civil and adhere to the Commenting Policy.)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 75 Comments