Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Ryan Day is Poised to Take a Big Leap Forward with a Lesson from 2017 Bama (Hurts-Tua)

+1 HS
IfNotBucksSparty's picture
January 28, 2021 at 7:59pm
42 Comments

I know what you're thinking, hes 23-2 how much "forward" could he leap?  He's been killing it on the recruiting trail and dare I say it... might be better than Urban as a playcaller, recruiter, and culture builder

Ryan Day has been the better coach on the sidelines in all his games except the one against Saban.  If I can pinpoint a single flaw present in Day and Urban but not Saban, its loyalty.  I know, loyalty is usually a valuable human trait, but it is contrary to a meritocracy.  Loyalty to the wrong coach, player, or scheme can cost you a game, and thus an entire sesson.

The 2017-18 National Championship was the single greatest example of how Saban did not let loyalty cost him the win. Entering that game, Nick's QBJalen Hurts was the starter heading into his second national championship as a sophomore.  Since starting as a true freshman, Jalen had gone 26-2 and won two playoff semifinal games, while the Natty he lost the year before by less than a TD.  Jalen had already done more behind center for Nick and Alabama than Ryan Day has done for us so far at Ohio State on the sidelines.  Just let that sink in for a second.

Still, Alabama went into the half that game down 13-0.  Jalen Hurts had attempted only 8 passes.  That did not stop Nick Saban from benching the kid that got him there.   The end result of course being Tua coming off the bench and winning the game for them.

For many reasons, That situation wasn't going to happen for Ryan Day in 2020. It could happen for him this season, however.  I think if push comes to shove, Day will prove to us this season how good of a coach he really is.

A lot of this can be recycled and applied to assistant coaches and coordinators, too.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 42 Comments