Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Thank You Players, Player Parents, Coaches, Administration, Buckeye Nation and 11W

+21 HS
PhillyNut's picture
January 12, 2021 at 10:37am
14 Comments

Five months ago we were lamenting that this year's season was lost due to decisions made with regards to the pandemic.  But others had the foresight, the determination, and influence to change those decisions and to bring football back for this past fall. And despite what happened last night it truly was a glorious season with so much to be proud of, so much joy, and so much to look forward to. And mostly, so much and so many to be thankful for.

Thank you Ohio State players. You never gave up, you fought through challenges that many of us will never fully be aware of.  You gave us the joy of watching you on the field on Saturdays when we thought it was lost. You played with courage, honor, and integrity. All Buckeye fans are proud that you are at Ohio State and represent the school so well.

Thank you Ohio State player parents. How you survive as a parent and remain so positive in the face of what gets said on social media about your sons (and it extends to the other sports so daughters as well), keeping your children well grounded, keeping them positive, always being there for them and then having the added challenge this year of not being able to be physically close to them, to refrain from just simple hugs, to not having them for holidays and other gatherings, I do not know how you managed but I sincerely appreciate the sacrifices you made and I believe each of you would not hesitate to do it again. Your children are fantastic ambassadors of Ohio State and so are you.

Thank you Ohio State coaches. First you joined others to fight for the players to have the opportunity to play this year and did it with class. Then, when it became a reality, you rose to the occasion to make this season truly a bright spot in all of our lives and to help the young men that you guide to live out their dreams and prepare for their futures. You somehow managed through all the twists and turns and challenges and not once blamed the current situation for anything and taught the players that adversity can be handled and their is a right way to do it.

To Buckeye Nation.  I am so proud to be a part of this great fan base. You support the team and school through thick and thin. You make sure the world knows we are as one. 

To Gene Smith and President Johnson. Just so much "Thank you!". You fought when it looked like there was no hope for a season and you never gave up. It is hard for those of us not "in the room" to understand what was being done but it was clear that you chose the route of working behind the scenes to make things happen, to not embarrass others by doing it in the the press and on social media. You are fantastic leaders of Ohio State and we are fortunate to have you.

To 11W. I cannot thank all of the writers enough for the work they put in to provide all of us with so much information about the program, writings that entertain us, and providing us all with a place where we can share all of our common interests. For me personally being able to come on here each day to read stories, to exchange thoughts, to banter even with fans and trolls of other programs has meant so much this year. Cannot begin to tell you how much it has helped getting through these months. 11W is so much more than a website.  It is close knit community of the best kind.

Now for some individual thank yous.

Thank you Justin Fields. You showed your leadership when working to bring football back and then throughout the entire year. When things did not go the way you and others had hoped you never once complained, never once made excuses.  You are class personified and I have no doubt that you will continue to be a leader for the rest of your life no matter what you choose to do.

Thank you Shaun Wade. You are also a great leader. You had the opportunity to move on and make more money than most of us will ever make but you delayed that (and maybe even again?) because you felt in your your heart that you had unfinished business and that you wanted to be here for your brothers. I do not think many of us can comprehend the sacrifices that took. Add to that moving to a position that you had not played before that led to taking more lumps on the field and off from fans and all you did was continue to show class. Wishing you nothing but the best.

To Randy Wade and the other parents who fought to bring football back. Just so proud that you allowed your children to come to Ohio State and how much you have taught them about doing things right and fighting for what you believe.  It may take some time but at some point they will look back at what you did for them and just be so in awe of you. Our greatest joy as parents is to see our children grow and become good people no matter what profession they choose or direction they head in. I have no doubt that each one of these players will continue to make each of you and Buckeye Nation proud.

Thank you for all who opted in when you could have opted out. That is not to disparage in any way a player that chose to not play this year.  Such tough decisions to make. But for those who opted in I know that your teammates are grateful and certainly Buckeye Nation is. 

Thank you players for playing each game that you could.

Thank you players and coaches for the season, for winning the Big Ten Championship, for vanquishing Clemson and for doing your best against Alabama.

I know I have missed others but just "thank you" all around. It was a season for the ages and one none of us will forget.  Please stay safe and we will get through this.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments