Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Strategy Question Re Tonight

+5 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
January 11, 2021 at 11:06am
58 Comments

As I have acknowledged more than once previously, I have never played organized football on any level—so I have never had a football coach of any kind.  So please keep that in mind if you think the following question is ignorant.

I completely understand why, in normal circumstances, the team that wins the coin toss typically defers and wants to start the second half with the ball.

Bur, since some are predicting a shootout or track meet—or however you want to describe it—wouldn’t the prudent choice be to opt to start out on O tonight if Ohio State wins the toss?  Wouldn’t this give the Buckeyes a chance to play from in front and, equally important, in theory have a chance at having one more offensive series in the game?

Again, please bear with me as I am just fan—not a former player.

One aside here: as a former soccer player I am hopeful of big things tonight from Jake Seibert, who I suppose could be considered the kicking unit equivalent of Cardale Jones.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 58 Comments