Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

History Repeats Itself.. (Why the Bucks Will Win Monday Night)

+3 HS
TGBuckeye's picture
January 9, 2021 at 12:56pm
20 Comments

As a current Buckeye fan in college, I can say this century has been pretty good to Buckeye fans. This morning, I was looking back at past seasons..relishing in some of the awesome wins we've had. One thing in particular surprised me...how well our coaches have fared early in their tenures at Ohio State.

Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer, and now Ryan Day all reached the national championship in only their second year of coaching the Buckeyes. (Yes, Urban coached in 2012. But I don't count that as a "legit" season, because we were bowl-ineligible)

The fact that all three of these coaches reached the national championship game in their second year of coaching a team eligible for post-season play is a strange coincidence. But what became even stranger was when I looked back at the season before the championship run 

Ryan Day

Reached 2020-2021 National Championship: Game Outcome - (TBD)

Lost the previous year in the 2019-2020 season to Clemson in a bowl game: 29-23

Urban Meyer

Reached the 2014-2015 National Championship: Game Outcome - W

Lost the previous year in the 2013-2014 season to Clemson in a bowl game: 40-34 

Here's where it gets even weirder..

Jim Tressel

Reached the 2002-2003 National Championship: Game Outcome - W

Loss the previous year in the 2001-2002 season in a bowl game 31-24. Not to Clemson this time, but another team within the same state....South Carolina

I thought these similarities were very interesting. Something about losing a bowl game to a team from South Carolina the year prior. To winning the national championship game the next year. I think you know what this means for Monday. 

Go Bucks!! 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments