Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Jordan Rogers Provides the Only Bit of Intelligent Analysis I've Heard Thus Far About Our Pass Defense

+14 HS
Earthoid.'s picture
January 9, 2021 at 6:03am
80 Comments

Don't even waste your time with the first 28 minutes of this video. It's basically another Bama propaganda piece.  Most of the previews I've seen unfold like a bad ESPN beat writer's column in a podcast form, but however suffering through another one, I came upon one of these talking heads that actually made an intelligent point about our pass defense.

The leading question by a gentlemen with a southern accent comes at 28 minutes (should start there below).  He asks, "Their defense is ranked, I think 117 in the pass defense.  Really kind of emphasize Ohio State's defense, and what you guys see and how they'll match up against Alabama's offense."

This Jordan guy brings up a point that I've been trying to get across to Bama fans who think our pass defense is total garbage, specifically as it relate to the stats.  He explains:

I think we have to be careful just looking at stats and saying that is the truth.  Because when you win every game, and you score a lot of points on offense, teams have to throw the football.  So are they one of the best pass defenses in the country, no - but are that 116th/117th - no I don't think so either and I think Tim makes a great point, they do a great job of keeping things in front of them.  One of the most underrated aspects of this Ohio State secondary is that ability.

Here's a stat for you.  Only three teams all year completed a ball that was thrown more than 25 yards down the field. And only one team completed more than one, and that was Indiana.  Indiana did have some success and it was to Roman's point, Ohio State's eyes got lazy on the backend.  That's one team that had success.  Now Alabama's is the best in the country at doing that so that will be a point of emphasis, but they're better on the backend than the stats say.  So I would say don't let that fool you, but that will be something to watch.

Can I just say brav-fucking-o.  I'm so tired of seeing all these surface level analysis from guys who clearly haven't even watch Ohio State play this year.  I've heard people actually say that Ohio State is susceptible to giving up the deep ball.  But these guys have gotten better with each passing week.  Clemson had to push off to get their one long ball of 29 yards.  The guys need to keep everything in front, which they are clearly capable of doing, and make plays in the red zone where the windows tighten.  I think a lot of these braindead talking heads are going to be surprised come Monday, but props to this guy, whoever he is.  

Video (starts at 28:00)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 80 Comments