Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Expanded CFP Scenario 2021

0 HS
swyfte's picture
January 8, 2021 at 7:19am
49 Comments

I'm reading every single CFB website right now for any scrap on info on the championship game and came across a discussion on ESPN about expanding the CFP (link at bottom). I know a lot on here have said the top 4 is good enough and no one below 4th in any of the polls probably had a chance at winning and I generally agree. 

However one of the main points the article discusses is keeping the entire nation engaged in the CFP rather than concentrating on the usual suspects even if they don't have a chance. As has been talked about before a handful of traditional powers like Alabama and OSU have always been at the top but it seems like the CFP is reinforcing the feedback loop of conference titles => playoff appearance => better recruiting for the big boys.

Regardless of the feelings about the above the link discusses a nice format of P5 conference champions (with ranking safeguards so multi-loss teams don't get auto bids), highest ranked G5, and two at-large. One of the bonuses of this is takes most of the CFP committee's guess work out of the picture beyond the two at-large (I'd guess highest ranked non-champions) and seedings (both of which would still be controversial).

Anyway, here would be your 2021 CFP this year:

• Clemson ACC
  • OSU B1G
  • Oklahoma Big 12
  • Oregon Pac 12
  • Alabama SEC
  • Cincy P5
  • Notre Dame
  • Texas A&M

At 25th, Oregon would probably trigger the conference champ not ranked high enough provision which would allow Florida to sneak in (yuck). I'd watch those games for sure; it's not perfect but it would be fun.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 49 Comments