Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Query for Buckeye Fans Who Remember the 1976 Rose Bowl

+2 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
July 21, 2020 at 10:42am
37 Comments

This is an offshoot of Jason’s post re your worst assumption/prediction.

My question: putting aside games against TTUN, was this the most disappointing outcome in your years as a Buckeyes fan where the result pulled the rug out from under earning a consensus national title?

Just a reminder of the circumstances going into the game: Ohio State was #1 at 11-0 with two-time Heisman winner Archie Griffin and the TD machine, Pete Johnson, in the backfield.  UCLA wasn’t even ranked in the Top Ten at 8-2-1 and was the co-champion of the PAC 8 (having been selected for the Rose Bowl in a head-to-head victory over Cal).

Most significantly, Ohio State had throttled UCLA earlier in the season, 41-20, in Los Angeles at the Coliseum.

So, is there any wonder my dad and I were getting ready for a very enjoyable New Year’s Day?

I just can’t recall ever being so disappointed when there were such high expectations and the team was this-close to a consensus natty.  (And, again, I’m asking here about games other than The Game.)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 37 Comments