Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

"Coached Up" Mid-season............

-1 HS
stxbuck's picture
November 4, 2018 at 2:59pm
53 Comments

An honest question for the "It has to be the assistant coaches!! Fire them and get the players fixed now!" crowd. When have you seen this work? What examples-NFL,HS, football or hoops- can you give of an assistant being fired in the middle of the year for on-field reasons, and the unit in question instantly becomes world beaters, or "coached up" due to a great replacement coming aboard? 

I ask this question b/c I can't honestly think of a time I have ever seen this work! Screaming for players to improve through "coaching" in the middle of the season is generally a fool's errand-they can't get bigger/stronger/in better shape, and their playbook strengths/weaknesses are pretty well established. Try out new starters-absolutely. Rationally expect change 2/3 of the way through the season-that doesn't happen unless a player admits he checked out for whatever reason and changes his tune-Jerome Baker last season. But he was coached by Bill Davis, so obviously he decided to ignore what Coach Davis was telling him and drew his inspiration from other sources.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 53 Comments