Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Who is the Playoff Committee and Why It Matters

+14 HS
huntinwabbits's picture
December 5, 2017 at 10:39am
62 Comments

By now most, if not all of us, have head Joel Klatt's thoughts on the playoff committee and their selection this year. I thought he did a very good job of summing up my own person feelings towards it and I do not feel the need to re-hash what his spoke so eloquently. There was however, a point towards the end that I had not heard much before or focused much on. The assertion he presented was that the committee unfairly represented the college football landscape. In a year where mass debate over the electoral college exists, I find this notion a fascinating take. And if you are like me, you want to dive into this and find out just what he bases this claim off of.

Because of my curiosity, I have taken the liberty to go through the selection committee and look at potential factors, geographically, that could help persuade their vote. I thought I would share what I found in a concise manner with you fine folks of 11W. Consider the following table:

Committee Member Geographic Tie-in Conference Tie-in Explanation
Tyrone Willingham multiple multiple born in NC, but spent most football days all over the north and west
Gene Smith Midwest B1G Ohio State AD
Chris Howard Midwest - President of Robert Morris University
Herb Deromedi Midwest MAC former head coach of Central Michigan
Rob Mullens West Pac12 Oregon AD
Tom Jernstedt West Pac 12 University of Oregon graduate
Jeff Bower South C-USA former head coach of Southern Mississippi
Kirby Hocutt South Big12 Texas Tech AD
Frank Beamer South ACC former head coach of Virginia Tech
Dan Radakovich South ACC Clemson AD
Bobby Johnson South SEC Vanderbilt AD
Jeff Long South SEC Arkansas AD
Steve Wieberg South SEC Univeristy of Missouri graduate

Take a historical trip back to the Civil War era, recognizing which states were considered free and slave states. In general terms, this helps establish the ideas and mentality of what we consider "the south." This also explains how teams in Kentucky and Missouri can be considered south. 

As we ponder that map and its relevance to college football, it is important to note that 7 of the 13 selection members have a direct tie to the south. And as Joel pointed out (despite suggesting only 6 members), when discussing Ohio State, Gene Smith must recuse himself. Thus leaving 7 of the 12 remaining members deciding Ohio State's fate with direct ties to the south.

While this is not a proof of any conspiracy or malpractice, it certainly, in the least, highlights the importance of representation. I would rather see the playoffs expanded and subjective opinions removed from the process of determining champions, but in the meantime, I find it absurd that we have let this system take on its current form. Our very country was founded on the idea of no taxation without representation and the electoral college was implemented to give a voice to those living outside the most populated cities. If it was purposely decided to run a country that way, would it not make sense that our college football playoff follow suit? The closet the northeast gets to having an opinion is west of Pittsburgh. There are 1700 miles between Lubbock, TX and Eugene, OR and there are no voices to be heard for anyone on that path. We have to do better. College football deserves better.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 62 Comments