Ohio State football fan talk.

Coaching Carousel 2015

0 HS
RBloodworth's picture
November 29, 2015 at 2:06am
24 Comments

And so it begins...

Just today, 3 open coaching vacancies were filled:

1.  Bill Cubit to Illinois:  My initial reaction to this was fairly harsh, as it seemed to be the dictionary definition​ of "settling".  The more I think about it, though, the more I understand why the Illini decided to make this move.  Like with Minnesota, their athletic department is an absolute dumpster fire at the moment.  Keeping Cubit as coach allows them to retain some semblance of stability, at the very least until a new athletic director can be hired.  Just like with Tracy Claeys, I don't see Cubit lasting very long as a B1G head coach, but Illinois could have done worse as far as placeholder coaches go.

2.  Justin Fuente to Virginia Tech:  Wow.  Is it just me, or could this guy have done a lot better for himself?  Don't get me wrong;  VaTech is a good program with great fan support and a large pool of nearby talent from which to draw, but is this really an elite, destination job for a coach like Fuente?  I always felt that he would have stayed at Memphis until either the job he really wants (read:  Oklahoma) or another elite job in that area (read:  Texas, LSU) opened up.  This is a great hire for the Hokies, particularly considering that they're going to have Bud Foster stay on as DC, but I don't see Fuente staying there for 20+ years like Frank Beamer did.

3.  Matt Campbell to Iowa State:  Take what I just said about Fuente and multiply it by 100.  Did this guy learn NOTHING from Tim Beckman?  It is practically impossible to win consistently in Ames:  the in-state talent pool is non-existent, there's no winning tradition at all, and the location doesn't exactly scream excitement for recruits.  Iowa State is quite possibly the least-desirable Power 5 coaching job in America, and Campbell jumps there at the first opportunity?  Did he not know that Missouri was open?  Even Maryland is a better job than this.  I don't get this one at all.  There's just as much a chance of him falling flat on his face, getting fired and ruining his promising coaching career (again, see:  Beckman, Tim) as there is him making himself a desirable candidate to take over at an even bigger job down the line.  I wish the guy luck;  he's going to need it.

More to come, obviously...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments