Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

'Trust Urban' - A potential dissertation of the phrase.

0 HS
huntinwabbits's picture
September 24, 2015 at 10:48am
7 Comments

For a long time, Buckeye Nation has lived by the phrase 'Trust Urban.' It's not only catchy, it is soundly rooted in results. The guy is a winner. He has been everywhere he goes. Heck, even the Cavs turned their season around by having Meyer give them the pregame speech. (And we all thought it was just King James returning..pff). His record here is something like 41-3 including an undefeated season and a championship. To think about it, between the postseason ban and the Michigan State B1G Championship game of 2013, Meyer is literally 1 loss away from would could have been 3 straight National Championship appearances. The guys credentials are astonishing.

But even with some of, if not the best, coaching credentials you can find, folks here are not truly listening to Urban and taking what he says seriously. The phrase 'trust Urban' is doubted and many people just say he is flat out wrong. I said it before and Urban confirmed my suspicion yesterday (at least the article was published yesterday here): Urban from day one has always said the QB is a product of the people around him. We went into the 2014 season with a healthy Braxton and times were good. Then Braxton went down. Buckeye Nation went into meltdown mode and we agreed to just hold our breath until next season. Though Urban said numerous times that he thought we were a year away, the QB position was not why he said that. He said his phrase before JT started. JT as we know went out and did exceedingly well proving Meyer right. The people around JT stepped up and JT flourished. Then JT went down and our hearts sank again. Our hopes relied on the kid who all we knew of his true ability was what we saw against Illinois when we rested JT after the PSU injury. Meyer still, was just as consistent. When everyone freaked out and started mailing in the season and playoff hopes, Meyer again continued to say that he was not worried because the QB is a product of those people around him. Cardale went out and performed to the tune of 59-0 and went on to win the Civil War Part 2 and then the National Championship. While the whole world was asking how Meyer did it with a 3rd string quarterback, Meyer's answer remained consistent: The quarterback is a product of the people around him.

Meyer still hasn't changed. His credentials remain the same. His philosophy that is a proven winner, still remains the same. He continues to say the QB is a product of those around him. When the offense is stagnant and the team under performs against Hawaii and NIU, he still comes back with the same adage. I said it the other day and Meyer came our directly told us in the article yesterday that the product of the people around the QB is not good. We have good playmakers yes. But in particular, we lost some of the best outside blocking that I have ever seen. Guys like Heuerman, Smith and Spencer were all top notch blockers. So good, that all 3 of them are getting NFL paychecks be it on a practice squad or team. The blocking talent they had has not been replaced...yet. See, no matter what happened last year, we are still only 3 games in this year. We lost Noah Brown too. Our WR blocking last year wasn't stellar at this time either. 

The bottom line is that this whole idea of picking sides on who should start is fruitless and stupid. I am quite shocked to see the way this is being handled. We have two upstanding men who are both great QBs and it seems like Cardale is being thrown to the wolves. There is no need to pick sides when we have two capable guys of running Urban's system. What's the point? What is the point of getting upset? Who cares? The whole college football world is sitting there begging for whichever quarterback lands on the flipped side of the coin. I am 1005 confident in either pick and if Urban wants to go with CJ, then awesome. Let's do this. To pick any side shows a lack of substance in that phrase 'trust Urban.' Meyer recruits and plays guys that fit his system regardless of their recruiting rankings. Why? Because he lives by his philosophy. His system allows for plug and play. Though Cardale wasn't his recruit he still possesses all of what Urban requires for his system. In Urban's world, it doesn't matter who plays QB because when the WR and TEs are blocking, and play makers are playing, and the line is getting push, his system wins. And his record shows it doesn't matter whether you're a Bowling Green recruit, Utah or Florida recruit. At Ohio State, it worked twice last year just with the QBs. He has been 100% consistent with his phrase - the QB is a product of the people around him. And to get upset either way and start calling out Urban, or let's overreact and fire Beck and everybody else not only shows a lack of 'trust Urban' but it does a disservice to those players last year who blocked so well. If Urban wants Cardale, then I want Cardale. He gets paid based on making the right decision. His record gives me no reason to believe that the time he has spent with both players in meetings, practices, etc that he is making the wrong choice. In fact, what is sad is that 3 weeks ago Buckeye Nation could be quoted saying there is no wrong choice. You wouldn't know that from this website the last 24 hours. I don't if we have reached the threshold of beating a dead horse yet, but regardless, this community needs to at least acknowledge Meyer's consistency in how he handles business. It's Cardale's team now. And it is #CardaleAgainstTheWorld even if that world includes 11W members.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 7 Comments