Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

So let me get this straight....

Grayskullsession's picture
September 3, 2014 at 11:00am
65 Comments

Ohio State covers spread vs. solid Navy team = "Ohio State sux lulz", Drop in polls

Alabama doesn't cover spread vs terrible WVU = "First game jitters, SEC" stay the same in polls

The Rill Dill's picture

You got it. Welcome to Ohio State.

+21 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

The amount of bias is just astonishing sometimes.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+3 HS
CincyOSU's picture

How many of these threads do we need? And how many times must it be said...we did not drop because of our "close" win over Navy. We dropped because our best player got hurt 2 weeks before the season started and we are seeing a correction in the polls based on this info. 

+21 HS
AndyVance's picture

How many of these threads do we need?

Seven. The answer is clearly seven.

+31 HS
CincyOSU's picture

It's only wednesday, double digits are a definite possibility. 

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

If we hit double digits, I'll eat my sh-

Er, on second thought...

+3 HS
PortlandBuckeye45's picture

Wait.......Let me go make another one.

OSUmuFAN's picture

7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 dwarves. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

+6 HS
Buckforlife's picture

^great movie! 

No relation to OSUFORLIFE...

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Seven. The answer is clearly seven.

That's what the Count counted as well...

Seven! Ha Ha Ha Ha

+3 HS
buckeyebfd's picture

The obvious answer is 42

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Still seems like a better response than what you'd get from the Wisdom Cube...

MordenoftheSith's picture

The obvious answer is 42

42 is the answer to the question "What is the meaning of life?" not "How many threads do we need on ______ topic?"

Unless the the question is "How many threads do we need on the 'What is the meaning of life' answer?"...

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

osu07asu10's picture

Cincy, all I can say is bless your heart for fighting the good fight!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

You keep saying we dropped because we lost out best player which is true. But the point of the poll is to evaluate the team and then rank according to their play. So as true as Miller was out, their play was every bit of inconssistent as Bama's and FSU's during week 1. This team had Miller last year and still dropped and If OSU rolls VT 45-17 are still going to say that they shouldn't move up because he is gone? I really wonder if they would have moved OSU up had the initial rankings reflected the injury before the Navy game.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+2 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Look, I haven't always agreed with Cincy, but how can you continue to argue this.

If OSU didn't have Braxton before the first poll came out, then you would have seen the team right around their current ranking. I agree that FSU and Bama should have gone down as well, but at the same time there is a legitimate reason for the drop. Now if OSU rolls VT by 28 and they continue to drop, then I, with Jeremy, will eat my shoes.

If they had been ranked more accordingly earlier, then depending on who was ranked above, i.e. USCe, then they would have moved up. Again, if OSU wins every game then making it to the playoff will be no problem.

+1 HS

My point is to use the argument that the team dropped because of the loss of the player is irrelevant after games have been played since we have seen how they played and can now compare them to other top 10 teams now (in which many did not look good). Bryce Petty is a Heisman hopeful and just cracked two vertebrea he most definately will not be the same player but Baylor stayed the same and moved up in two polls, why are they not dropping due to injury? It happened before the poll came out... Are you going to legitimately drop FSU if Winston goes down and they keep winning? The injury excuse can only go so far, I am fine saying we should drop based on performance but shouldn't other teams be held to the same standard which is what I believe the OP and many others have been saying. Are we evaluating the performance on the field or who is not on it? I too believe polls are pointless this early because we really don't know. But if we are saying FSU and Bama  are 1 & 2 right now shouldn't they have played like it to keep that spot as well?

-1 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

How many of these threads do we need? 

But if these threads disappear, we'd get to see much less of you around here, and I'm not sure that that's a worthwhile bargain.

+5 HS
Clinger76's picture

IMO I dont care if half the team is hurt. WHEN we win a game, we shouldnt be penalized for that win, and move down in the polls, no matter who got hurt!

"If you take no risks, you will suffer no defeats, But if you take no risks, you will earn no victories."

chicagobuckeye's picture

So by your argument if OSU lost the entire 2 deep, then even though the win happened, but the entire two deep is out and the third string is taken over, then you would assume them to still be the 5th team in the country?

Clinger76's picture

Yes. The poll SHOULD go by record not who is playing in the game. Just my 2 cents

"If you take no risks, you will suffer no defeats, But if you take no risks, you will earn no victories."

+1 HS

Exactly, right now people are arguing that OSU should drop because of an injury and we assume we are not as good anymore. Yet teams like FSU and Bama stay put because everyone assumes they will be juggarnauts again. So basically we have a lot of assumptions rather than looking at the game just played.

+1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

So osu should be tied with roughly 50 other teams for the top spot?

+3 HS

OSU should be judged amongst the other teams that also played Quality opponents in which only 8 of the top 25 played last weekend. Of that only 4 teams played another team with a winning record  from the previous season. Based on that, the comparison sample shrinks considerably.

+2 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

But what is a Quality opponent? Every team that won has played a team with no wins and a losing record.

Basically you want the ambiguity that goes into a preseason rankings, but once the season starts those ambiguous rankings should then be thrown out and it should only go on win-loss? If OSU was ranked 20 and moved up to 8, would you be upset? They would be at the same rank.

EDIT

+2 HS
Buckeye Chuck's picture

But that's an argument for never moving a team down unless they lose, or never moving them up unless a team in front of them loses -- I'm thinking here about all those still-unbeaten teams that were (rightfully) jumped by Texas A&M after last week's most impressive win. 

I don't think re-aligning your preseason rankings based on the evidence you see on the field is "penalizing" a team, especially since it's obvious the drop in the polls came because of the Miller injury. I don't think we would have been in the Top 10 had the injury happened before the first poll, just one man's opinion.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

+4 HS
Clinger76's picture

I'm just asking or saying, what would cause the coaches and voters to move us down for playing and covering the spread on a unranked team but NOT down voting another team that had just as much trouble beating, (if not more trouble) another unranked team? So, to me the ONLY reason would be Brax getting hurt. In that case they are saying theres not one other person on this team that could step in and take over for Braxton. If thats the case, God help us!! We are doomed!! Dont push us down for nothing. Thats my opinion. Glad yall gave yours! 

chicagobuckeye's picture

You're saying you know of a Heisman contending QB on the roster? J.T. is good, but not that good, so I'd love to hear who could fill that. There are plenty of people to step up, but that doesn't mean you are getting the exact same that you lose.

+1 HS
FitzBuck's picture

Well it made sense to everyone outside of the OSU fan base.  Clearly we are just biased.

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+3 HS
Stellar's picture

We didn't drop because of the navy game. We dropped because Braxton Miller is out for the season. If that that had been known before the first poll we probably would have started out somehwere around 12

+6 HS
fontanabuck's picture

I get what you're saying but we really didn't drop much in any of the polls, and I'm going to guess any drop was mostly because of the loss of Miller.

+1 HS
chitown buckeye's picture

Don't forget WV moved up in their rankings.

"I'm having a heart attack!"

+2 HS
mh277907's picture

I just want everyone to like us!!!!

buckeyebobcat

+5 HS
bleedscarletpissmaize's picture

E-L-E. EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY.

+1 HS
nikolajz1's picture

If the preseason polls came out after Braxton was injured we'd be 8-10. It's just accounting for that. Plus we gave up 400 yds of rushing to Navy. We definitely didnt look good against them. 

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I think that's the point, though. We came out with our best player gone on the road and still covered the spread against a team who could very well end up ranked by season's end. Meanwhile, teams like Alabama and Florida State, who aren't without their best player, struggle mightily and don't budge.

+1 HS
MordenoftheSith's picture

Plus we gave up 400 yds of rushing to Navy.

EVERYBODY gives up nearly 400 yards rushing to Navy.

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Preseason polls are dumb, and complaining about teams moving more than others is a flawed argument to begin with. It's called poll inertia.

The preseason polls are really just prediction and speculation. The week 1 polls are more of an educated guess.

We were ranked 5th when we had a presumed Heisman frontrunner leading our offense. We don't have that anymore. And even though we beat a good Navy team (and beat the spread), I can't honestly say that we're the 5th best team in the nation. Hell, I don't even think we're the 7th best team right now. I'd put us around 10-12. 

And sure, we're ranked 7th now instead of 5th. No teams ahead of us lost, and then you have teams like Georgia, TAMU and MSU that were super impressive. MSU and Georgia jumped us. They're better teams right now, at least in the eyes of the voters.

So it's not necessarily that the voters weren't impressed with us, they were just much more impressed with teams that we were barely ahead of anyways.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
OSUpawn's picture

Since it's your first year following the Buckeyes in the polls let me tell you about them......

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

allinosu's picture

I was expecting to put the lime in the coconut.

+3 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

JT is not thought as highly of as Braxton. YET!

zeeman60657's picture

Lot of "analysts" were picking an upset last week vs. Navy.  Now the same ones are doing the same vs. VaTech and talking how Bud Foster's defense is the second coming of Christ.  Too bad it didn't translate to stopping teams from scoring last year, losses to Maryland, BC, Duke, and blown out by Bama and UCLA.  Buckeyes might start slow again but by second half we will run (as in a bunch of rushing yards) all over them.

Zeeman60657

buckguyfan1's picture

I'm going to staple thick pieces of bologna to my forehead. 

+4 HS
BuckWylde's picture

Now that just might help to change our position in the AP polls, but ESPN's Merle Hoggard  is still not gonna budge on Johnny Manziel bein' a punk! . . . . so, THERE OHIO!!!

BuckWylde

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Fine.  Rank us #1 in the nation.  What does this accomplish?

We've created 7, maybe 8 by the time I'm done typing, threads about a ranking that will mean absolutely nothing once we play our games.  There's an entire season ahead of us and at the end of that season we will know where we stand.  If we take care of our business and win all of games, there will be no choice but to let us be one of four teams that play for a championship.  If we don't win all of our games, well then, we lost our chance to stake our claim.

Read my entire screen name....

+4 HS
Jack Fu's picture

"Hurr durr everybody hates us hurr."

[YAWN]

+7 HS
CincyBuckeye04's picture

That is the exact same response I had when I read this. Rabble rabble rabble, no respect, rabble rabble, ESPN, rabble rabble!

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

It ain't that far off.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
bucks4nuts's picture

Just win 

"To The House"

+1 HS
Jabba1977's picture

The polls are pro SEC!! Just like ESPN is pro SEC!!What do you expect!!

SECHATER77

-1 HS
Mortc15's picture

Just another reason why polls shouldn't come out until midway through the season.

Edit: THE reason.

Buck-I4Life

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Bama struggled mightily and their "new" QB did too. Supposedly Saban is using the first three games as a open QB contest. I get we lost Braxton and all that jazz but Bama,Georgia,LSU and a few other teams also lost QB's and arent getting the same treatment? Mark it down now,beating that Navy team by 17 points on the road was a huge accomplishment. As long as we can squeak by VT and Kent st. and very tough Cincy team and give our Oline and QB time to gel we will be just fine. There is really no way to tell if our defense has improved facing a team that threw 2 passes because our run D was actually pretty solid last year. I expect our D to put on a clinic Saturday night. I fully expect to see the silver bullets back in full force. The only way we can lose to VT isif our youngsters turn the ball over multiple times and we have a couple lapses on special teams. If we dont turn it over and play heads up it will be a 34-10 type of game. We still wont  get respect from certain media outlets though,the spin will be how horrible VT actually was.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Mortc15's picture

Give navy some credit. They actually threw FOUR passes..:) 

Buck-I4Life

el duderino's picture

To be fair, I think at least one of those was an unintentional forward lateral.

"This is a very complicated case: a lot of ins, lot of outs, lot of what-have-yous."

CC's picture

What the pollsters expect and what Vegas expects may not be the same thing.

+1 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

How does anyone know how good Navy, West Virginia or Oklahoma State are?
Seems a lot of posters are more concerned about dropping 3 spots in the post Week 1 poll, than they are about the defense giving up 370 yards rushing.
So you say the defense will show better when we play a different opponent ? Makes sense that the polls will as well.

+1 HS
fishleehooker's picture

Why are you worried about yards. They had two offensive TDS, one of which took multiple plays to be pulled out of their' ass.  We had one Defensive TD, with another turnover that could have been called early in the game.  We did not create turnovers last year. This year we already made a very veteran, experienced Navy team turn it over twice to us.  Good start there.  Your gonna give up yards to Navy unless your Defensive is made to stop the run.  It didn't worry me.  

But your point is still valid. Who would expect us to stay or go up, the week following our Heisman hopefull's injury as well as a non-blowout.  I think most of our reaction to this is based on the fact that the DO indeed hate us at ESPN and in the SEC.

+1 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

I am seriously so mad that there is this cabal of refs, commissioners, media tycoons, pollsters, writers and fans that have it out against Ohio State. They pick on OSU more than any other team. Clearly that is the only explanation; a wide spread, high reaching conspiracy aimed at making Ohio State look bad.

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

OSU fans are everywhere because of their huge number of graduates that literally span the globe. I have to think this is partly why people everywhere don't like Ohio state. It's a love-hate with a program and school like this. 

Buck-I4Life

logamaniac's picture

you forgot the italics brewster

fishleehooker's picture

Alabama won two championships in a row.  In sports, when you win the big one you get the benefit of doubt.  

-1 HS
camcop71's picture

We got jumped by MSU after they beat some school I can't remember (they are that good). Texas A&M jumped out of their shoes because they beat SC. Are they that good or is SC that bad? Who knows. As long as pollsters look at only the scores instead of opponents in most games, unless it is a marquee match-up, you will get this type of movement in the polls. Especially early in the season. Winning will cure all ills, and we are on the path to a healthy season.

BeatTTUN's picture

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan