Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Alternate Uniforms for VaTech Game?

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture
August 31, 2014 at 4:34pm
56 Comments

Anybody hear anything about OSU wearing their alternate home jerseys that we wore in the Orange Bowl?  I would think we would because of it being a prime time game and alot of top recruits will be in attendance. 

DWright's picture

Most likely... it was the "Night Game" option for last year.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Id put money on it. Hope the crowd is amped like USC in 2009…bring the heat buckeye fans.

+12 HS
TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

That game was AMAZING...until it wasn't 

+7 HS
MichaelJ721984's picture

Kinda glad I dont remember being there... 

+2 HS
tOSUperiour's picture

Joe McKnight-mare. And that Sunshine kid quarterback from Remember the Titans.

We don't give a Da*n for the whole state of *ichigan cause we're from OHIO!

-1 HS
BuckeyeChris's picture

Here's what I remember about that game... near the end, we still had a chance and Duron Carter was left ALL alone. No one was covering him. No one.  And......no one caught it (except ABC's cameras/crew/Herbie/Musburger, etc.)

So, DAVE was called. DAVE was run.  Game was over.  

-1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Still pissed off at Tressel for that game. 

Edit:  How dare I say a negative word against Tressel?

CC's picture

There's just no way an unranked VT team will bring excitement like USC did.  I've been to almost every OSU night game at the shoe since UCLA (wasn't at 1 vs. 2 in 2006) and I can say USC was without a doubt the best atmosphere.  It will be very hard to match.

+2 HS
BuckeyeRealist13's picture

Don't worry, Ohio Stadium will be rocking Saturday. May not be on par with USC (Texas in 2005 was the best atmosphere I've ever been to) but a primetime night game against a OOC opponent like Va Tech, the crowd will bring the juice. Not to mention first home game of the year, and the unvieliing of the "new" Shoe. The stadium will be ROCKING!

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

+4 HS
InTressITrust's picture

The 1 vs. 2 game was a 3:30 game so you can still say you have been to everyone.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

tOSUperiour's picture

You think USC  in the Shoe was better than Texas?  I was there for Texas and to say it was electric is the under-estimation of the day. I wasn't there for USC though, so I can't compare.  I'm even looking forward to Cincinatti at 6 PM.  It's different. I'm excited for all the night games this year. I plan on being in East Lansing on November 8th though!

BigDrill's picture

Texas was a bigger game to me.

george the buckeye's picture

I was at both games.  The TX game was the best atmosphere for me (surpassing versus #1 Iowa in '85) until the '09 USC game.  Perhaps it was my seats (lower A for USC versus upper C for TX) but the atmosphere for USC '09 was better than anything I had experienced in the 'Shoe previously.  Still can't believe we lost to a freshman QB at home that night.

tOSUperiour's picture

Gotcha. I'll take your word for it, especially since us losing at So. Cal in 2008 helped motivate the 'Shoe's crowd in 09. THough going back to Austin in 2006 was so delicious, I was full after the second week of that season.   USC was a different story.  I was one of the masses clamouring for Tress to start Terrelle Pryor at USC  instead of Todd Boeckman.  Nothing against Todd, when he had protection he could do his thing, outside of those random Russian Roulette interceptions. Anyway, that's beside the point. I'll always love Tress for scheduling home and home series with top teams from the power 5. Great for the sport and the fans.

-1 HS
BHT's picture

As much as I like the home alternates, I hope we do not use them. Let's stick to the normal uni's and save the alternates for big(ger) games like rivalry games (or lets just wear them once a year).

+4 HS
TheAFBuckeye's picture

I like keeping them once a year.  If we had multiple alternates then I would entertain the idea of multiple games but until then... 

Let's Go BUCKEYES!!!!!

-1 HS
Jabba the Hoke's picture

From a recruiting standpoint (the main reason for alternate unis), there is no bigger game than this.

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I want the focus to be on blocking, tackling,passing,receiving,kicking,play-calling,adjustments......I guess I'm old-school.

+12 HS
AirForceNUT's picture

I'm sure the coaches are focusing on the things that you listed. It will not hurt anything if we, as fans, focus on things such as uniforms.

+6 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

I agree, but fwiw, when they wore the alternate unis last year against Wisconsin, they had one of the best old school performances (well, until the 4Q, at least), blocking, tackling, passing, receiving, kicking, play-calling, adjustments (note, I did not mention anything about covering Abbrederris).   

-1 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

LOL. Second game of the year? A non-league game? An unranked team?

-5 HS

Other than the michigan game, this is the most high profile game we have in the shoe.

Buckeye fan from PA

+2 HS
OH1O State's picture

An unranked team that is better than half the teams on our schedule, and in a prime-time recruiting environment.

I could understand not wearing them for Illinois or Cincinnati.

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

HeuermanTheFireman's picture

Lots of big recruits will be there. They will pull out the alt uni's.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture
-2 HS
Sin City Buckeye's picture

I'm old school, but this is reportedly the biggest recruiting weekend of the year, I'd say do whatever is necessary to sway recruits.

Is there a difference between Viper and Leo? "No, we just thought Viper sounded cooler."---Former Buckeye Coach Mike Vrabel

+10 HS
Rob Reese's picture

I'd say do whatever is necessary to sway recruits.

You call?

If you need italics to understand or imply sarcasm, then you're doing it wrong.

+18 HS
Icouldnotgofor3's picture

I'd say a combination of both old and new. Those alternate whites in the Michigan game last year were awesome, but those UNI helmets are just plain awful. If they can blend the two, that would be perfect. If they had the REGULAR helmets at Michigan last year with the UNI white's, that would have been bad to the bone.

woodysyardmarker

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I think those alternate jerseys should become our jerseys permanently.  With the normal helmet and pants.  I don't mind them busting out those unis again though.

Class of 2010.

-2 HS
Northbrook's picture

A lot of us are way too fashion conscious. 

+4 HS
BuckeyeVet's picture

YES.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."          - Groucho Marx

+1 HS
mrspray's picture

I love those alternate uniforms - wasn't crazy at first about the away version they wore against michigan, but braxton wearing his golden pants on a necklace warmed me up to them. Maybe I was too stressed about the game to see how slick they looked...

BUCK-I-FAN's picture

i was hoping they would do a black out alternate uniform for a game to see how those look. I think those would be awesome. IMO of course.

-3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Talked to a friend on the team, the players actually voted on a blackout uniform (keeping the rivalry helmet) and they pretty much all wanted it, but the school wouldn't let them go through with it. 

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
tOSUperiour's picture

-1 HS
tOSUperiour's picture

Nike made these last year and sold them online. "Limited edition". I think they look sharp.  But not enough Scarlet or Gray to meet my standards. I'd still buy one though.

-1 HS
mtrotb's picture

All the qb's wear black practice jerseys.  The band is all black.  One time can't we have a black jersey instead of a variation of red??  Stick with the regular helmets as well.

mtrotb

-1 HS
goodlifesean's picture

I say rock the all blacks if its in the spirit the game. Embrace being the bad guys that people want to believe. The band blaring the imperial march, fireworks shaped like the dark mark from Harry potter after every score. Urban Meyer calling up 40 yard bombs up by 30 in the fourth. (Sarcasm)If aren't willing the be the villain then don't bother (sarcasm). Sorry typing on a phone and it wont do italics

-1 HS
tussey's picture

I'm guessing we will because Urban said last year that they were our night game uniforms 

-1 HS
TheVictoryBell45's picture

I'd love to see us come out in a throwback uniform from the Eddie George days. Thats the best Buckeye uniform. Grey stripes on the sleeves and the shiny pants. 

+5 HS
countrybuckeye's picture

^This.  

Tradition.  Our Honor Defend.  "I Wanna Go Back, I Gotta Go Back, to O-HI-O!"

"Momma told me there would be days like this."

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Hopefully this one will be one we can all look back on and say "WOW" - We played on the road a few years ago in Iowa and completely dismantled Kirk F. and company. That was one amazing game we played.

-1 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Chrome Helmets,shiny silver pants and Scarlet jerseys are the shiznittydit!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

-1 HS
BoFuquel's picture

Just win. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

-1 HS
DEF D's picture

I'm with dude on the murdered out uni's for all night games. It has to be coming one of these years. Running out of color combinations.

-4 HS
dwiz0918's picture

With 125 seasons of football, they'll never run out of combos.

-1 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture

Still love these 2009 throw backs to the 1950 National Champion buckeyes.  Would like to see some of these elements return. The grey color of the pants, sleeves, and those socks. The helmet style is cool, but I admittedly missed the silver and the leaves. I think a matte grey helmet, traditional stripe, and buckeye leaves would look sweet. 

You win with people. 

+5 HS
Rob Reese's picture

For me personally, those '09 Nike Combat uni's were my favorite.  No question.

If you need italics to understand or imply sarcasm, then you're doing it wrong.

+1 HS
byoung114's picture

Since its "Scarlet Out the Shoe", I'd Love to see these jerseys and helmets, although I wasnt a big fan of the pants.

-2 HS
kevdale86's picture

Can we just save the alternate jerseys for say, never. There is nothing wrong with our normal ones. I don't think kids come to Ohio State because of gimmicky uniforms. They come because it's one of the best programs in the history of college football. Leave the bedazzled uniforms to the teams that need them. If Dontre originally committed to Oregon because of the jerseys, why did he flip?

-4 HS
SilverState's picture

Because you can't have a tradition of winning and uniforms that recruits like.

+2 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture

The problem with this is that our uniforms have changed over time. In fact, JT was the one who had the grey removed from the Scarlett jerseys (and the field), and he was a guy who lived traditions.  

The jerseys we had before were "throwbacks" to old Ohio State jerseys and national championship teams.  You can this  make the argument that they are more "traditional" than our current jerseys.

There simply is no 100 plus year traditional jerseys. As the song goes "time and change..."

I like alternate jerseys that honor OSU colors appropriately. I don't want to be Oregon that has multiple colors and styles every week.  That's just hype. But having some nice jerseys that are a nod to the 100 plus years of OSU football? Count me in. 

You win with people. 

+1 HS
BigDrill's picture

Let the players vote it.  I think any recruiting edge is a good one.

well its official. LeBron to be in town as well. BIG for recruiting 

Buckeye fan from PA

-2 HS