Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Hypethetically thinking, If Brax were to come back to play in 2015

Little Dan's picture
August 23, 2014 at 12:28am
31 Comments

It's his job to lose unless he is not 100% and JTB has a great year. I know, boring!

gneptuneproductions's picture

Holy shit. Great insight! And here I thought this would have been another pointless thread!!

+10 HS
Sebastian's picture

We REALLy need to start playing football games

+3 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Since when did basic comments become forum topics?

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+6 HS
Little Dan's picture

I'm somewhat new here so I deserve a few breaks.

Little Dan

-10 HS
aboynamedtracy's picture

Deserves got nothing to do with it.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

lol, I said the same thing when I first got here. It's a tough crowd and you have to pick up quick.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Welcome, by the way!!

You can't spell chump without UM's picture

I thought of this a couple days ago. If Barrett comes in and lights the world on fire, and if Miller returns on 2015, what would happen? 2 QB system? Does Barrett become the new Guiton for a year? It would be the damnedest QB controversy a team had since Montana vs. Young.

Brady Hoke ate my comment

+1 HS
CC's picture

If he lights the world on fire to the point of an NC, he is our qb in 2015 period.  Realistically if we have a 11 or 12 win season there may be a question, but I think JT may still get the nod?  If he plays well but is less than 10 wins its back to Braxton.

GVerrilli92's picture

I don't think Miller gets back in at QB.. 

Just sayin.. If JT wins 10+ games, do we really want to replace him with a QB that hasn't played in an entire year? And what if it looks as if that by JT's Senior season he could break records? You don't bench him after a successful season. That's a 10 win season at this point. He does that, you can't bench him.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+3 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

Yes.. Because Braxton has had 2 undefeated regular seasons and some silver footballs in his back pocket.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+4 HS
Bolt's picture

Wait, what? If JT wins 10+ games? Braxton's won 10+ games twice already (with lesser teams). If it looks as if by JT's senior season he could break records? Braxton is well ahead of schedule to destroy about every QB record at Ohio State. So, if JT comes in and plays well enough to win just 10 games he should get the nod over a Heisman frontrunner and one of our all time best players? JT would have to finish in the top 5 for the Heisman and the team has enormous success before he doesn't have to take a backseat to Braxton. That's pretty unrealistic that he'll have that much success, unfortunately.

+1 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

I believe in continuity. Braxton looked phenomenal in the first half of last season passing the ball because he physically worked on his throwing for the entire offseason. He was injured for two weeks and never looked the same passing again that season. He posted decent passing numbers after his injury in a few games, PSU comes to mind. But his development was hindered by the injury and you could tell. 

This season people wanted him to return to his rightful throne after minimal first team snaps in the offseason and a right shoulder that got sore after 25 throws. All the while the offense has been developing its chemistry and timing with two other QBs. Braxton would not have looked great in the first 2-3 games IMO from lack of physical repetition. And his passing might not have gotten any better throughout the season if we resorted to using his legs to win games.

In the long run, I'm just very skeptical that Miller could return next year and be the same player. He's already missed 4 months of throwing, he's going to miss at least another 4 after this surgery. That's a lot of down time. Do you really want to force him into the QB situation in 15 knowing that a) there's a chance his passing has gotten worse from limited reps, b) there's a chance he re-injures his shoulder and can't lift his right arm for the rest of his life, and c) instead of building on the chemistry you already had with JT, you're testing all of these risks?

JT doesn't have to do all of those things that you said to prove that he is more deserving of the position in 15. Because the Braxton he'll be competing against will be one year removed from gameplay, having missed 8 months of throwing to boot. So in reply, yes, if JT wins 10 games he is your QB of 15. It's tough to swallow, but I honestly believe that the Braxton Miller era is over. Torn Labrum = SLAP lesion = shoulder instability = increased risk of subluxation. I thought RB was a possibility, but a hit on that shoulder and the ball is loose, and so is that humerus. 

However, I HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+2 HS
Bolt's picture

A year to sit with the coaches and soak everything in mentally could do him well, you never know. If we only win 10 games this year I'd have to assume JT didn't really have that great of a year. This team with this schedule should win at least 10 games regardless of who's the qb. It's not as if Brax is missing his prime and doesn't have a chance to be at least as good as he was after this setback. Barrett would have to be special this year to supplant Braxton because Braxton is special. He could wind up being a little bit better and could wind up being a little bit worse next year and he'd still be a special player.

kevdale86's picture

JT hasn't played for a year and a half, and none in college. Miller has been starting for 3 years. Miller will still have way more experience than JT when he comes back. I don't think you play someone just because they have a chance to break some records in 3 years when they're a Senior. You play whoever is better. It'll be a good problem to have if it plays out that way.

+2 HS
allinosu's picture

If Braxton does come back 100%, he will be our QB.

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

What a treat it would be to have a strong argument for both at that time. One game, one season at a time for now. 

+1 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

Deja vous

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.”

+4 HS
TheAFBuckeye's picture

I've said it before but I honestly think Urban will choose the best player at the time whether it be Braxton or JT.  Simple as that.

Let's Go BUCKEYES!!!!!

+2 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

I don't want to be a jerk, but I am getting annoyed with more than just duplicate threads. In the immediate aftermath of Braxton's injury and subsequent announcement that he would seek a medical redshirt and likely return for 2015, it made sense to ponder what might happen with the QBs next season.

But we're now past the initial post-Brax adjustment period and the start to another glorious Buckeye football season is only seven days away! Can we start worrying about the 2015 season around, I don't know, mid-January 2015? Also, sports media . . . do you think you've run enough repetitive stories yet along the lines of, "Now That Braxton Miller is gone . . ."? 

I repeat, Buckeye football - real Buckeye football - is almost here. We no longer have to satiate our deep thirst for it by fixating on 2016 recruits and abstract future scenarios. That stuff is for the offseason. So, please, enough already.   

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Next season is far away. We don't know how Brax's surgery will turn out, We don't now how J.T. will turn out. There are a lot of X-factors. While it may be fun to speculate, it's almost a mute point to try and figure out who will be QB next season.

+1 HS
RBuck's picture

J.T. gets the Heisman this season and Brax gets it next season.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

PittBuckeye's picture

Can't sit JT if he wins the Heisman. The numbers he'd have to put would bench Braxton.

+1 HS
The Clean North's picture

I've said this before. The solution is simple. Get them both on the field at the same time. 2 dual threat QBs on the field at the same time. Imagine the trick plays. It would keep all teams on their toes. 

+1 HS
lsjSnail's picture

Does anyone but me actually get a feel for a forum/community before registering and commenting? What goes through someone's head when making a thread like this? This is discussed in every post Miller injury thread.

Of course it will be Millers job, but their will still be a QB battle. I don't see Miller losing out to JT even with a great year.

+3 HS
allinosu's picture

They are both buckeyes. Let JT have a great year and the let the surgery be successful for Braxton. Gotta love Braxton's attitude with his education and wanting to come back. I'm excited to see how our new schemes work on both sides of the ball. I don't remember having so many different questions before a season before. The only things not in question is our d-line and our punter.

CTBuckeye's picture

Last thing Meyer would want is a QB controversy, especially considering how hard Braxton has worked to get ready for this season, only to have another setback.  I think he's earned enough with his skills and leadership to take back the reigns next year without question.

"Because we couldn't go for three"

Little Dan's picture

Ok, I guess that settles it then. This topic is offically off the table for discussion untill Jan, 2015. Unless of course someone else wants to talk about it some more!

Little Dan

-3 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

Gonna be a long week.....

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

Ahh Saturday's picture

Doesn't matter who the QB is, the Buckeyes are winning the 2015 National Championship. Bet it as soon as you can. You'll get better odds while there's plenty of room on the bandwagon.

Seattle Linga's picture

If we win the National Championship this year - It will be the best 1st and 2nd string QB's in the history of college football