Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Urban/ Chip Kelly

teamrebelshark's picture
August 21, 2014 at 11:11pm
33 Comments

Hey guys, been a while since I posted, I had to emotionally disconnect after being at the Orange bowl and watching the Clemson disaster first hand.

Anyways, I read an article today (that I cant find right now) that interviewed Urban. All he kept saying was how he wanted the team to be like the Eagles or Ducks run by Chip Kelly. It kind of made me sick  bit, because I feel like the Bucks should have their own identity and not have to try to be like any other team or their product, especially somebody like Meyer. I know Oregon and similar teams have had a lot of success in recent years, but none of those kind of teams have ever really gotten over the hump to win a title or out-do an elite defense. 

How does everybody else feel or view that kind of philosophy?

Knarcisi's picture

Not to assume what he meant, but Urban likes to play fast. I think he'd like his offense to run at the pace of a Chip Kelly offense.  That's all. We have our own identity.  

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

This was how I perceived it as well. 

NashBuckeye's picture

I say steal what you can from other successful coaches/programs to add to your own. We could do a lot worse than studying what Chip Kelly does on Offense.

+6 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Wanna know how to beat Chip? Turn on BTN right now.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+16 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

This just draws attention to the fact that Masoli was suspended for an entire season for stealing a couple laptops. Jameis??

BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

I was at the Orange Bowl too. Maybe you saw me at the several recovery meetings that followed?

+2 HS
teamrebelshark's picture

I was there, I was in the corner on the floor in the fetal positioning saying "screen pass to watkins" over and over

www.teamrebelfishing.com
"The Greatest Show on Surf"

+4 HS
UserCorch's picture

Chip Kelly is one of the most brilliant/innovative football minds in the last 50 years.  Listen to the way Urban talks about him or just watch a game that he coaches.  Chip Kelly is changing football in a big way.

+9 HS
southbay's picture

Just look what he's done with Nick Foles...kid has all that potential...Chip unlocked it.  Twenty-seven freakin' TDs and 2 INTs in the NFL, are you kidding me?

+9 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Yes.  This is so true.  It wasn't all that apparent at the college level, where its all about the systems and the players and most just figured that he was a decent coach that was recruiting great players into his plug and play system.  No one thought it would work in the NFL.  People saying for years that "the talent gap isn't as big, the players are too fast and too smart for his system to work in the NFL."

Guess what - it's working.

Read my entire screen name....

brandonbauer87's picture

He's had success, but it's a little early to coronate him. Let's see how it works this season. 

southbay's picture

I have no problem with Urban channeling Chip...Urban has reached the summit twice already, and will again, has nothing to apologize for.

+3 HS
nikolajz1's picture

Oregon's offense is some of the most innovative stuff in football from the last few decades. A touch of that with Urban's Power Spread and it might be a truly unstopable offense. The best in any field use ideas and concepts from their peers to get better. Popovich had admitted stealing plays from coaches in Europe and bringing them to the NBA. 

+4 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

I like Coach Meyer getting ideas from Kelly.  Meyer has always believed in power more than Kelly which is a good thing.

robobuck's picture

Our identity is a lightning fast, dangerous offense AND a brutal, soul crushing defense

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

teamrebelshark's picture

Jury is out on the soul crushing defense front still, hopefully ASH corrects the secondary

www.teamrebelfishing.com

+1 HS
bafiesta's picture

Can't say I agree with describing the Orange Bowl as a disaster.  A team that was slightly better than us won in a close game that went down to the final minute.  No Roby, no Spence, figured it would be a long night for our defense.  

+2 HS
teamrebelshark's picture

It was a long year for our defense, the Clemson game just capped it all off, Watkins had how many recieving yards off short passes?

www.teamrebelfishing.com

+1 HS
jkrk's picture

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly he had 236,000 yards that game.

+11 HS
southbay's picture

Not to mention, if Braxton had not been injured then Buckeyes probably would have won anyway.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Urban is known for taking things/concepts away from successful teams and organizations. A year ago, he was all about "borrowing" plays and schemes from the 49ers. 

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+5 HS
Earle's picture

Yeah, we saw a lot of that diamond formation last year.

I actually agree with your point, in general.  I just recall they were specifically studying how the 9ers used that formation and then we never saw it.

Just say no to italics abuse.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

He only used it a few times. Couldn't use it as much as he wanted because OSU didn't have players ready for it. It has been mentioned several times that Dontrae was too small last year. He couldn't consistently block effectively which is why he wasn't a major part of the offense. And Meyer has stated several times that if you are good enough offensively then he will find ways to get you on the field. It has been stated that the reason we saw so much of Hyde was because the other RB's weren't playing well enough. It's obvious that if you want on the field for Meyer's offense, you have to be able to do more than just run with the ball. This year he says the RB's are much more improved. I would expect to see more players in the backfield this year whether it be the diamond or a different formation.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

chemicalwaste's picture

I know he talked to Chip Kelly a lot about nutrition and the lack of injuries for the most part to the players both at Oregon and Philadelphia. Coach Kelly attributes a lot of that to nutrition and having each players body type analyzed and designing a specific diet fro that athlete, and Urban wants to take that and apply it to his players as well.

+3 HS
OldColumbusTown's picture

I don't think it is as much taking Oregon/Philadelphia's play calling or style of play on the field, but more of the behind the scenes stuff Chip Kelly does with his teams that is so different from everyone else.  Chip has a method to all his madness, from the way his teams practice to the nutritional aspect, like @ChemicalWaste said.

Sure, OSU has gone to the faster-paced, spread no huddle offense, but otherwise Urban has his own identity he brings to the table that he wants to see from his team.  But, if he sees different ways of doing things from the norm, and he feels it will help his team on the field, you better believe he's going to heed the advice of some other successful coaches.

DenBuck's picture

Chip wins and I'm glad he and Urbz are tight...

Buckeye For Life

Mean Mr Mustard's picture

Chip Kelly's offense at Oregon was, to steal a term from MMA, can-crushing.

I think he has a lot of great ideas though.  He is tweaking his offense for the NFL.  I have to give him credit for that. 

MDBuckeye2002's picture

Agreed, Chip Kelly's offense at Oregon and now with the Eagles fits Urban's style of playing fast but at The Ohio State University there has always been a run between the hashes, smash mouth style that was still relevant last year with Hyde and Miller running the ball.

Will 2014 be different with J.T. under center and all of the offensive weapons be used?  I believe they have to be in order for 2014 to be successful.  Get the ball out of the hands young J.T. and into the hands of the play makers.  There are lots more weapons on this team than the Clemson team that shredded us last year mainly with one star player, Watkins.

Game On

"I love football. I think it is most wonderful game in world and I despise to lose."
Woody Hayes 1913 - 1987

+1 HS
Klytus21's picture

I posted this yesterday, but after watching the Eagles vs Steelers last night, I might be having a change of heart.  The Eagles shred the Steelers D with quick passes and basically getting the ball to the edges.  With the spped we have this year, we should be able to do the same to any team.

COMMENT 24 HOURS AGO

“We want to be the Philadelphia Eagles of college football.” 

I live in Philly.  Please noooo!!

Commented on SI: Life Without Braxton

NJBuck

+1 HS
cplunk's picture

All great coaches are thieves. 

It would be foolish not to use things others have proven effective.

I wouldn't worry about identity at all- Urban, like all great coaches, has been stealing ideas from others his entire career. He's then molded together everything he has stolen into his own philosophy and adjusted based on his own views. He's taking what he believes is the best of what Oregon does, but that is not at all the same as simply copying.

Also keep in mind that he is playing a recruiting game at every single moment. When he talks about winning, he says we are going to be Alabama. When he talks about offensive speed, he says we will be Oregon. When he talks about defense, he says we will have an SEC defense. Doing so not only sets goals for the current team, but also serves to be public relations- it connects the Bucks to the perceived greatest in each area. This has an affect on how recruits think about Ohio State. 

whiskeyjuice's picture

Urban seems to be friends with a lot of successful coaches and players, from different sports even.