Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Colorado Buckeyes! Where to watch Bucks FB for 2014 Denver

camodog's picture
July 22, 2014 at 1:12pm
18 Comments

We used to watch the games at Crocs Mexican Grill in downtown Denver. I sent an email to the Colorado Buckeyes (OSU Rocky Mountain Alumni Club) for an update on the new location as Crocs is closed and their phone number is out of service.

I will update this forum as soon as I hear back. Does anyone have any updates on game watch locations for Downtown Denver?

TBDBITL0509's picture

I live on the North side of Denver. I never loved Croc's, so this doesn't bother me any. 

First, here's the link you should use for official game watch locations. It's a little outdated, but it's the official page.

Second, here are my two alternative locations:

LoDo's in Highland Ranch has a huge second floor that is completely filled with Buckeye fans. This is also an official alumni bar, and there are usually giveaways, music at the breaks, and drink specials. It's a great place to watch a game (plus the patio has great views of the mountains), but it's a hike from North Denver.

Buffalo Wild Wings in Arvada (80th and Wadsworth) is owned by a Buckeye alumn and he loves hosting unofficial Buckeye game watches. It's not as crowded, but it's super convenient and sometimes the owner will buy shots for the Buckeye section after a TD.

+3 HS
BroJim's picture

Hey, thanks for the post.

I know this is off topic but I recently bought a ticket to Denver for my buddy's birthday and Im looking for a good hiking spot. We are thinking of doing an overnight hike. His birthday is in October but Colorado has so much to offer we thought we should start researching now. Any suggestions or thoughts? 

Thanks in advance!

I season my simple food with hunger

OSUkyle21's picture

BroJim, the hiking in Colorado is world class so you are certainly coming to the right spot! Just to preface a couple things the weather in October is very fickle, last year I did a big mountain climb (14ers we call them) in early October and it dumped snow on me. Other days it is very nice and sunny! So bring clothing and gear for any condition imaginable. Also be weary of hunting season, wear bright colors and if you see hunters in the area, leave, do not risk it.

For some good overnight stuff, head to Kenosha Pass and hit the Colorado Trail. Excellent hiking there. I love doing big mountain climbs so if you are interested in that check out 14ers.com for a ton of info on possible climbs. Rocky Mountain National Park offers numerous hikes. 

One day hike I would absolutely suggest to see the most incredible mountain alpine lake ever is this link here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/whiteriver/recreation/hiking/recarea/?rec...

For a ton of other hikes I just use the Forest Service website and I've never been disappointed! http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/whiteriver/recreation/hiking/?recid=4040...

Hope this all helps!

Mile High Buckeye

BroJim's picture

Awesome post, thanks so much! I'll look in to the links and get back to you if I have more questions!

TBDBITL0509's picture

Great question! Like the other poster said, there are almost too many hikes to choose from in Colorado. You can get just about any experience you want.

Any time I have guests from out of town, I ask them what they want: a day of exploration, a 2-4 hour hike, or a scenic walk. I whittle down the list from there. So, what do you want out of your hike?

BroJim's picture

Hey, thanks for the posts!
Im.thinking an overnight hike. My friend and I are pretty avid and we have good gear. Thanks again!

OSUkyle21's picture

I to have emailed the OSU Rocky Mountain club president just the other day and he told me that they are working diligently and a location downtown should be nailed down shortly. He said to keep an eye on the newsletters as the information will be announced there.

Mile High Buckeye

TBDBITL0509's picture

It sounded like they were trying to work out an exclusive deal with a newer rooftop bar in the area - it was still in the works the last time I talked to someone in the know...

camodog's picture

Thanks Kyle and TBDBITL for the info.

I also live in North Denver (Thornton) so I think HR LoDo's may be a bit too far.

I did sign up for their newsletter so I hope they are able to get a nice spot that is large enough and not split between multiple teams.

+1 HS
TBDBITL0509's picture

I'd urge you to check out LoDo's just once - especially for a night game. I love the Arvada B-dubs, but you simply can't beat the views at LoDo's on the rooftop patio.

Jdadams01's picture

The Buffalo Wild Wings in Arvada is a great choice. The owner is Buckeye friendly and opens the restaurant early on days with 12:00 EST kickoffs. A good group always shows and the staff is friendly to the Buckeye fans getting loud. Having an OSU specific section is always nice, too. They have an email distribution for the location that includes discounts sent by the owner and events outside of games. They also do basketball games. My wife and I highly recommend.

+1 HS
TBDBITL0509's picture

Oooh, didn't know about the email list! I've watched 3 or 4 games there over the past year and never heard of it. Just signed up!

JerryCurl's picture

A buddy of mine claims that Hayter's and Co. has some Ohio State ties and according to their website they are the "home away from home" for the Ohio State Buckeyes (and Montana State and Oregon State?).  The rumor is one of the owners is a Buckeye, so if I make it downtown this season, I may give it a look.

The Lodo's in HR is neat, especially from a rooftop patio perspective but nothing beats all of downtown Denver being overrun with Big 10 folks at 9 a.m.  Plus the early train ride always contains good conversation with various fan bases.

Fly Patterns's picture

Fellow Denver guy here.  I didn't know Crocs closed.  That's a shame.  Say what you will about the place but it was always packed - even for the FAMU game last year.  Hayters is the only other one downtown that I know of and I've never been there for a game.  Please bump this thread if anyone finds out more as the season approached.  I'll be in Baltimore for the Navy game but back in Denver starting week 2. 

camodog's picture

From Christine Bansek President, Ohio State Rocky Mountain Alumni Club:

We are in the process of finalizing our plans for this year and will be communicating them shortly. Look for an email to come out in the next week or two. 

I hope its a big area to compete with the  gator alumni at Jacksons. I have been to a few games there with friends and its an amazing atmosphere. I would like to see the Viewhouse as the next Buckeye Alumni Club downtown. 

OSUkyle21's picture

Hayters in downtown Denver is the new official alumni watch bar in Denver. Here is the official announcement from the alumni newsletter they email out:

"We're pleased to announce Hayters is the official downtown location for Ohio State games this fall! 

Hayters is located at 1920 Blake St. and will be open by 9:30 a.m. starting August 30th for the Ohio State vs. Navy game!

We also want to thank Hayters as they have graciously offered to donate to our RMAC scholarship fund this year, as an official game watch location. This helps us in our quest to $50,000 in our endowment fund!l

TVs will have the games with sound. The bar will have Buckeye tunes, will have raffle items, drink specials and more. We hope to see you this Fall at Hayters!"

I know people wanted this posted once it became official. Any thoughts on the new location?

Mile High Buckeye

camodog's picture

I have not received the email yet, however I have gone to Hayters a few times to watch the games. I went once last year and it was an OSU Beaver bar. I am sure the Buckeye crowd can fill Hayters, someone should put a large sign in front of the old Crocs every week. I will miss walking downstairs for Philly after the games, but there is a ton of B1G bars very close.

Lodos - TTUN

Giggling Grizzly- Nebraska

Sports Column- Iowa

Swankys- Wisconsin

Blake Street Tavern- TTUN State

Does anyone have any other B1G Team games downtown Denver?

camodog's picture

Only one more week! And it looks like Hayters is the new Buckeye Bar downtown. (a fitting name for a buckeye bar I might add)

If you are in the Denver area, join me in starting this new season off right.