Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Lewan assault on tape

AngryWoody's picture
June 5, 2014 at 1:26am
31 Comments

The video which led to charges being pressed on Taylor Lewan has been obtained by Mlive.com. I had to watch the video multiple times to understand what happened, but for those of you who don't have time to watch it over and over, pay attention to the man in the red hoodie and white beanie who enters the screen from the bottom at about 5 seconds into the video. You will clearly see him walk to the top of the camera view and go to the ground. I'm assuming this is the point of the possible assault. A large crowd (everyone in the view of the camera) will either surround that spot or turn to to it. Multiple people will approach the spot (I'm assuming to break up the fight). From there there is a conflict between the UM group and the friends of the OSU fan who was assaulted. The actual alleged assault is really short and the majority of the video is the conflict between the OSU fan and the UM fans after the punch (That is if I'm reading/looking at it right).

Lewan was ID'ed as being in a red shirt by the AA police. He was also ID'd as wearing a red shirt in the initial reports that came out on BUCKNUTS six months ago when the very first public reports arose.

Quote here:

“We were sort of just walking by when the crowd started making a bunch of noise,” Curtis, a victim and eyewitness, told Bucknuts. “I had no idea what was going on, but the next thing I knew, the crowd parted and a huge guy in a red polo shirt came up to me and punched me in the face.”

Other eyewitnesses corroborated his account.

“Curtis was the first one who was hit,” confirmed Warren, a 28-year-old Columbus resident who would end up in the hospital as part of the alleged attack.

“I have no idea what started this. I just turned around and saw (my friend) on the ground,” said Marcus, a third eyewitness. “I turned and tried walking away and Warren was just standing there, kind of like ‘What the hell is going on here?’ and then all of a sudden the tall man in the red shirt came over and punched him right in the face. Warren goes down on the ground and a man in a grey shirt and jeans started kicking him.”

Both the whole MLive story and the Bucknuts story should be read by anyone interested in this story. It seems everyone on both sides of the dispute were drunk (imagine that).  I've got my own opinions, but I'm interested to hear what you guys think.

hit_the_couch's picture

I'm waiting on a Mindy Drayer diagram before I make an opinion.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+20 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture
Since it's Lewan it probably went like this.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+30 HS
Sin City Buckeye's picture

With all the advances in today's technology, you'd think there would be better quality video by now. I watched this thing a couple of times and still cannot see a punch being thrown.

Is there a difference between Viper and Leo? "No, we just thought Viper sounded cooler."---Former Buckeye Coach Mike Vrabel

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Wow man I wish I could say I seen it but I guess my computer is too little. I see the guy and what you are talking about but I cant see exactly what happened. The police have access to equipment where they can blow it up and zoom in and nail his candy ass hopefully. Kid is a total and complete douche nozzle and I have no doubt he did it. I'd  like to know what he was doing wearing all that scarlet during Buckeye night. Probably premeditated this shit before he left his trailer that night.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
WezBuck28's picture

Dude's an even bigger dusch than I thought..it takes a real man to knock a guy half his own size out..

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Lewan does seem to be a D by all accounts, but I'm a firm believer that if you are stupid enough to piss off a man twice your size, you deserve what is coming to you.

Honestly, drunk fans and players don't mix well.

+1 HS
jpbuckeye's picture

What did he do to piss Lewan off?

Never mind, just read comment below that implies the guy may have instigated the deal.

-2 HS
M Man's picture

Here's a thought experiment.

Presume a night on which Michigan has beaten Ohio State in a big game.  And, while visibly intoxicated, you and I walk down High Street to Eddie George's place.  I'll be wearing a Biakabatuka jersey.  Oh, and this part I LOVE.  I'll have a megaphone.  Yes, that's right.  A megaphone.  With which I'll be trash-talking persons on the street and in the restaurant.  Nothing too terrible, mind you.  Not "fighting words" from first year Con Law.  Just non-provocative things like "Buckeyes suck!"  "You losers!" and "Worst State Ever!"  Nothing that would serve as a "fighting words" defense to a misdemeanor assault charge.  

What do you think will happen?

The biggest complicating factor in the police investigation of the incident is clearly the amount of drinking that took place on Nov. 30 into Dec. 1.

Ryan Munsch, the 28-year-old Arlington, Ohio man who was sent to the hospital, told University of Michigan Hospital doctors he had about eight beers and 14 ounces of liquor from 9:30 a.m. Nov. 30 until the alleged incident just after midnight on Dec. 1. His brother, Kyle Munsch, told police he had at least 10 drinks between 7:30 p.m. and the incident.

Other people they were with also described a large amount of drinking. One of the men in the Munschs’ group fell in the moments before the altercation because he walked into a fence outside the Brown Jug on South University Avenue.

The people in Lewan’s group, who were getting out of a cab near the Brown Jug when the Munschs’ group were walking down the sidewalk, had also been drinking. Lewan told police he was intoxicated, but not drunk and he and his group were leaving a party to come to the bars on South University.

Officers who responded to the scene stated they believed the amount of alcohol involved and the rivalry between the two schools were direct factors in the fight.

“The motive behind the assault I believe to be related to the University of Michigan and Ohio State rivalry and to levels of intoxication,” wrote Officer Jason Schimelfening in his report.

A scuffle on South U

Ryan Munsch was walking with his brother, Kyle Munsch, and friends James Hughes and Craig Poeppelman on South University after being at the Brown Jug when the incident happened.

According to multiple witnesses, Munsch had been walking around with a megaphone on the night of Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. He taunted U-M fans on the street and inside the Brown Jug about 20 to 30 minutes before the fight, according to police.

“(A witness) described the subject as giving Michigan fans kind of a hard time,” Monroe wrote.

Lewan was with his brother, Bryce, his then-girlfriend, Alex Dileo, and some other friends in a cab getting out of a cab onto South University when Poeppelman ran into a fence outside the Brown Jug and fell.

Substitute "South University" for "High Street."  "Brown Jug" for "Eddie George's Grill".  Don't substitute anything, of course, for the part about the "megaphone."  LOL.

-5 HS
skid21's picture

So all that adds up to "I can punch a guy out if we are both drunk and he annoys me". Seriously, I want to know if those are the new rules because when I'm drunk lots of people piss me off, especially those half my size, and I'd like to punch them with people like you making excuses for me.

+1 HS

This clown defends Weasel players no matter if they rape,threaten,assualt,drive drunk. He is a lawyer,the scUM of the Earth. =)

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

So because he might have said "Go Buckeyes" to Lewan he deserved to be knocked out and stomped? Hard logic to follow.We do not live in Westeros.

+3 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

We don't know what he said.  I'm saying in general, people will run their mouths at big guys or people in the spotlight for some reason, then cry foul when they get knocked the F out.  Like the big guy is just supposed to stand there and listen to a little guy talk shit to him all night.  A staffer here posted that he wasn't surprised the fan found trouble that night.  I hate TTUN and am no fan of Lewan, but this is somewhat similar to the Hyde case, Lewan may or may not be the problem in this particular situation.

+1 HS

But we now live in a society where we cant knock everyone out who pisses us off with words. I'd love to drop kick and choke out people in the grocery isle sometimes for doing stupid shit but I guarentee you if I did nobody would say the other person was the problem. Besides that Lewan is a D-bag and we should be piling on here not making excuses for him. Get your head in the game.

-1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Sorry man.  I don't like it when people mess with our players (Hyde, Roby, Moeller, etc.) and I don't think our fans should being messing with other teams' players.  Again, fans really shouldn't open their mouths to opposing players outside of the field of play.  It reflects poorly on us.

+1 HS
skid21's picture

So only the bigger guy should be able to run their mouth? Let me get this straight. If a guy is bigger than me then I should expect to get punched but if he is smaller than me then I can talk all the shit I want? I am confused. Just when is it OK to knock a guy the F out for talking smack?

Buckeye Knight's picture

Not what I said at all, I suggest you re-read above.  I was defending the fact that just b/c Lewan is big doesn't make him less of a man for getting into a fight with a little big mouth who seems to have been looking for trouble, found it, then runs to the police and/or his lawyer after he gets knocked out.  Instead of questioning Lewan's manhood, in this case, I'd question the intelligence of the big mouth.  Also saying that fans shouldn't be looking for trouble with players from any team.

-1 HS
skid21's picture

Again, fans really shouldn't open their mouths to opposing players outside of the field of play.

Again, so when players knock out fans from opposing teams it is to be expected and excused?

Buckeye Knight's picture

No, but I think if you talk shit to people (HE HAD A MEGAPHONE), you should expect a fight, someone will try to shut your mouth for you.  From the sound of it, this guy was looking for trouble, and he found it.  I can't say that I'm shocked.  He got exactly what he was looking for, maybe too much of it.  THEN he goes and runs to the police.

-1 HS
skid21's picture

Hey, I get the point the guy was a complete jackass. Have you ever met a jackass? A jackass talking out his ass?  A jackass half your size? Maybe in your mind the jackass having a megaphone levels the playing field? I think it takes some real character to walk away from such an ass. Maybe I'm wrong and real men just deck his ass because they can.

If you mean winning a million dollar lawsuit I agree he might be getting just what he was looking for. And that is finding someone dumb enough to sucker punch and stomp his head in while hundreds of witnesses watched. Doesnt matter what he was saying on a megaphone as long as he wasnt being aggressive and getting in peoples faces he didnt deserve to get what he got. If this incident took place in prison,3rd World country,or the 1800's I would fully agree with you.

Buckeye Knight's picture

Sorry guys.  I'm really not a violent person.  But I just can't find it in me to feel sorry for some big mouth harassing people, OSU fan or not.  I said earlier Lewan seems to be a Dbag too, maybe these 2 guys were meant to meet.

-1 HS

Although I am not a large fellow I wish the World worked the way you are saying. I have to restrain my inner demons  all the time in the area I live now. If I could roundhouse or throat punch every little punk I wanted too I think at least my City would be a better place. I only speak from experience of getting sentenced to a 3 year prison sentence for delivering one well deserved punch. It sucks and no matter how much I thought I was justified 12 other citizens and a Judge felt differently. I feel where you are coming from but hell If I cant do it why should this scUMbag millionaire be able to get away with it? And I had a hell of a lot better reason then someone rubbing in a loss of a football game.

irishfury's picture

I don't like Lewan for a lot of reason this incident not being one of them.  With that much alchol and me not being there.  I'm sure there was a lot more to this story then we know. 

BlueBayou's picture

The assault didn't occur at the 5 second mark and can't really be seen on the camera.  I tried to watch the video first and thought that at too, but the guy actually fell at that point because he ran into a fence there.  From the article.

One of the men in the Munschs’ group fell in the moments before the altercation because he walked into a fence outside the Brown Jug on South University Avenue.

The video is so bad that if you even want to try to figure out what happened you need to read the article first and then try to decipher what's in the video.  Even then, no punches can be made out.

Video reviewed by Ann Arbor police shows Lewan in the area. But, Detective Dave Monroe — the lead investigator — wrote the film doesn’t clearly show Lewan’s actions.

This video is about as bad as the one in the Carlos Hyde situation, so it really is going to come down to the witness statements, which are pretty inconsistent.  My guess is this ends in a plea deal unless Lewan is absolutely against that and it goes to court.  At that point, I couldn't even guess what the verdict would be.  No matter what the verdict though, Lewan still is a deuche and from the police reports, it looks like his little brother might be too.

+2 HS
skid21's picture

The film doesn't clearly show anything. It is a shitty video.

DJ Byrnes's picture

I ran into the guy who got knocked out as we share some common friends. I left w/ my gf about thirty minutes before this all went down, but let's just say... I'm not surprised he found trouble by the end of the night.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

BlueBayou's picture

According to multiple witnesses, Munsch had been walking around with a megaphone on the night of Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. He taunted U-M fans on the street and inside the Brown Jug about 20 to 30 minutes before the fight, according to police.

Is this why you aren't surprised?  I guess it still doesn't justify fighting, but damn that would be super annoying. (you can see him with the megaphone in the video)

Out of curiosity, since it has been a while since I've been to the bars in Ann Arbor on a football weekend, how would you say the Michigan fans are treating opposing team's fans these days?  Better, average, or worse than other fan bases?  We were nice to opposing fans when I went there, but for me, it was during the Cooper years and I was watching a better Michigan product.

ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

Not sure what to make of the tape that was published... not sure if there are other tapes being held for use in the trial, but regardless of what REALLY happened, it doesn't change my opinion of Lewan as a d-bag in my court of public opinion... even if he was wearing a red polo shirt (he must have stockholm syndrome, because he knows he will forever be our beatc...)

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

CTBuckeyeFan's picture

Can't watch the vid at work, can you tell if Lewan pops a pimple on his forehead right before he throws down to make himself look tougher?

+1 HS

He rips the pimple scab off after he knocks out the 140lbs kid. Waits for the blood to roll slowly down his forehead and runs back in the bar acting like The Mountain. Clearly that much is visable on tape.

dubjayfootball90's picture

I don't even know what to think anymore on this matter. 

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.