Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Overrated/Underrated

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture
May 28, 2014 at 11:22pm
113 Comments

Which OSU player (former or current) do you think was overrated in college, meaning he got too much attention/underwhelming in terms of recruiting ranking expectations/hype/accolades/playing time, whatever, while at OSU?

And, which player do you think was underrated, meaning he didn't get enough attention or love from the media, was undervalued, didn't play enough, etc.?

I'll go with...

Overrated: Braxton Miller

(freak athlete, but for all the hype, I still haven't seen a consistently great passing performance against a good defense. I actually think that will happen this coming season. Don't get me wrong...I'm a Braxton fan, and wouldn't trade him for anybody else, but this is in the context of his hype and recruiting ranking. I'm just opining from the throwing the ball aspect, he is a Quarterback after all.)

Underrated: Will Allen

(always making plays, and is pretty clutch (NC State game)...still is underappreciated in the NFL)

Killer nuts's picture

It's tough for a guy to be fifth in the heisman and be overrated

+13 HS

Get what you're saying, but...it isn't when the guy was the odds-on favorite to win the Heisman. Most pre-season services had Braxton as the Heisman favorite going into last season, including Phil Steele. So, essentially, he went from 1st to 5th.

I really don't care about the Heisman, I'm just more interested in a consistent passing performance against a great defense when it counts. The only example I can recall is a pretty good game at MSU in 2012. I hope, and think, Braxton puts it all together this season though.

-5 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I think if you added all the yards and TD's Guiton accumulated while Braxton was hurt he was right there. His injury took him out of consideration quickly. Also Hydes suspension might have cost him a legit shot.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+7 HS
rock flag and eagle's picture

In terms of good performances against great defenses, how would you rate this year's Wisconsin game?  Miller was 68%  17/25 passing.  4 TDs and 0 INTs.  187 passer rating.  Wisconsin had the #7 defense in the country, and #17 pass defense.

+3 HS

I'd rate that as a C-  ~~Espin

Would have been a A+ performance if it took place against a middle tier sec team~~ Kirk Herbstreit

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS

A ! I didn't realize Wisconsin'a defense was that good. Forgot about that game.

buckeyeboy31's picture

Was he playing Stanford football?

buckguyfan1's picture

Not sure I believe that Braxton is a "former" player or overrated.

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Overrated:  Tyson Walter, Mike Adams, JB Shugarts, Donnie Nickey, Anderson Russell

Underrated:  Tim Anderson, Matt Wilhelm, Ross Homan, Curtis Terry

Totally agree on Will Allen.  Imagine, he played behind Donnie Nickey when he was a Junior. And one might put Joe Germaine on the list since he had to share snaps with Stanley Jackson. 

Totally disagree with you on Miller. 

+8 HS

Oh I almost forgot about Joe Germaine, great call. That dude had some touch. Reminds me of Drew Brees before Drew Brees, if that makes sense.

Tyson Walter was a real dick, too, from what I've heard. Not a good locker room guy.

-4 HS
Vinginia_Buckeye's picture

Ross Homan big time underrated. Dude was a stud and always consistent. One of my favorite Buckeyes during his time.

" I'm a Buckeye "

+1 HS
Crumb's picture

Tim Anderson and Matt Wilhelm clogged up the middle in every game in 02. And JB Shugarts just had ANOTHER false start.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

The 2 time BigTen Poty is overrated?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+11 HS

Just in terms of hype, and throwing the ball as a Quarterback first. Maybe the best playmaker since Teddy Ginn, but there's gonna be a time when he needs to throw the ball under pressure in a 2-minute drill situation, and I don't have faith he can do that....yet, if he (has) to throw.

-4 HS
Knarcisi's picture

That's college football today. It's a point guard mentality. Vince Young nor Tebow were great passers and those are 2 of the best college football players we have ever seen. No one hyped Braxton as a pro style passer. If that's what you are looking for, watch ball on Sunday. 

+4 HS

I really dislike the NFL, compared to college ball.

Just let me ask you this: right now (based on what we've seen so far passing-wise). Hypothetical, tomorrow, May 30th, 2014. Ohio State vs. Florida State in the championship game. OSU is down 20-24 with 1:30 left, ball on our own 25 yard line. Do you think Braxton can lead the team down the field, (in passing situations, i.e. 3rd and 10)?

-3 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

Yes. Now what?

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

+3 HS

...based on what though? I don't think he can. Wish I felt otherwise.

Well, let me put it this way --- I don't think he can if we're talking about the 2011-2013 Brax we've seen so far...but, but, but...I DO have faith that the 2014-2015 Braxton will be able to.

-5 HS

Based on what? 2011 vs Wisconsin comes to mind.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I think that, with a capable receiving corps that doesn't drop every goddamned pass in sight, he could absolutely lead us back.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+8 HS
CC's picture

I could make an argument that Brax throws the ball behind often.

johnny11's picture

Also Northwestern this year who was ranked when we played them. That game went down to the wire with braxton making a few drives at the end to pull it out with his side kick Hyde.  Also lets not forget that touchdown he threw against Michigan State  two years ago to essentially win the game. People Have such short memories sometimes. lol

Not sure why you are getting DV'd. Your entire list of comments on this thread have been discussion inducing and add to the conversation.....

I say I'd trust Braxton because of his dynamic ability to create something out of nothing. Now, that has (in decreasing numbers each year) been a problem because he'll take some losses but Miller's ability to squirm out of seemingly impossible situations and break free for a nice run or find a guy downfield is pretty hard to argue. The situation you posed is a tough one because 3rd and 10 is tough for any QB (not named Pryor). Regardless, he's such a dynamic playmaker that any situation is one I feel Miller can get done (except 4th and 2 against Sparty with Carlos Hyde foaming at the mouth for the ball). Do I think Miller can consistently hit 3rd and long passes? I don't. So you do have me there for now-he has to show more touch on his passes. But his ability to make plays is third to Pryor and Troy and he never seems to give up on a game. Save for a pretty bad INT against Clemson, he was willing OSU to a win.

+6 HS
OSU069's picture

Yes. I have confidence in him. He has done it before. 

CC's picture

When?  Against Clemson?  The only big game comeback against a really good team I can remember was Wisconsin 2011 and I'm not sure how applicable that is to FSU 2014.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

Purdue as a Freshman. Kicker missed the extra point. Northwestern Junior year he had some clutch drives late in the game. Michigan state sophomore year(I think). 

+2 HS
CC's picture

My point has been proven if your examples include Purdue and Northwestern.

Auburn's defense wasn't much better than Purdue or NW.

-1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I wouldn't put the Clemson late game situation on Braxton though. He had an obvious arm injury and shouldn't have been out there. It should have been Guiton.

and the way the defense couldn't stop Boyd and Clemson, Braxton had to push it harder than he should have because they had to score to stay ahead (or regain the lead). Its not like the buckeye offense didn't put up numbers. Plus again, Hyde should have been run more late in that game. I would put it more on game plan and scheme than the QB.

and its hard to say how Braxton would have performed against FSU. I think he would have done fine and probably could have won it, but that defense wouldn't have allowed Braxton that opportunity. Winston and FSU would have scored at will and I don't see OSU having a late game chance.

I am eager to see what this year brings though. Braxton might have opportunities to prove himself more and hopefully the defense can allow him that chance.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

-1 HS

Underrated-Darrion Scott. He was on a defense with a lot of guys who got a lot of deserved praise but he and Anderson did a lot of the dirty work KP and Smith didn't have to. Not to take away anything from either dude but without Scott and Anderson, I wonder how effective the other two are. I feel similarly about David Thompson.

Over rated-Bobby Carpenter. There were a few guys who played for my Chicago Bears that benefited from the 'Urlacher' factor-Warrick Holdman and Roosevelt Colvin specifically made some good money after productive years in Chicago next to a great player. I feel the same way about Carpenter and Hawk. He never struck me as a guy who was anything outside of a guy in the right place at the right time. Hawk was a guy you won because of, Carpenter was a guy you won with.

+1 HS

These are solid picks, esp. D. Scott

-2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Underrated = Andy Groom 

Underrated = Mike Nugent 

Both on the 2002 National Champions 

+5 HS

"The most important play in football is the punt." - James P. Tressel

-2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

One of those phrases that i'll remember to the grave

+4 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

Overrated: Terrelle Pryor

Underrated: Anthony Gonzalez

-3 HS

- Won 3 straight BigTen titles.
- Won 2 straight BCS games(might've been 3 if JT hadn't used two QBs).
- Won the MVPs in the Rose, and Sugar Bowl games.
- Ended Ohio State's skid against the SEC.
- Holds the schools single season record for total offense(2010).
- 3-0 vs M*chigan.

+18 HS

I'd say Pryor is underrated. People forget the accomplishments you listed and but for a bullshit 'scandal' Pryor would have shattered every single Ohio State passing record.

+10 HS
BAR43's picture

How can the #1 recruit in his class be considered underrated? And yes Pryor would have shattered all the records, only for Brax to break all those this upcoming year. I think Pryor was pretty on par with what people thought.

-2 HS

How can the #1 recruit in his class be considered underrated?

Some people were saying that Braxton was better after his sophomore year.

+3 HS
BAR43's picture

He was and actual is. Miller is a better runner and passer than Pryor. Pryor was an absolute beast in his own right but Miller is more a QB and Pryor an athlete. Lets also keep in mind Pryor did win games, but he also had a defense that helped him win those games.

-1 HS

Miller is more a QB and Pryor an athlete.

Pryor's Jr year:

2772 yards passing(65%), and 27 passing TDs.

This was with no Whitfield or Herman. Again, Pryor holds the schools single season record for total offense(3526 yards). In Meyer's offense he would have shattered that.

+1 HS
BAR43's picture

That is quite an accomplishment to accumilate all those stats without playing a single game in his senior year. I am not trying to dispute what Pryor has done, I just like Miller better as a QB. Miller is a better passer in my mind and has a higher ceiling. PRyor is just an insane athlete, but past college he hasnt and most likely will not excel at QB because it takes more skill and intelligence. Miller isnt there yet either, but I still think he can get there.

That is quite an accomplishment to accumilate all those stats without playing a single game in his senior year.

Whoops. lol

Ohio State wouldn't have been 6-7 if he had played.

BAR43's picture

Haha I knew what you meant. Most likely no, we would not have gone 6-7. At the same time it would still have been a rough season, even for Pryor.

See that is a weak way to qualify it. High school rankings are simply an educated (sometimes) attempt to predict how a player will perform but Pryor's history at OSU has been written so using his prospective ranking (just like calling busts over rated) is false. Pryor is not criticized because he was a number one player, he is largely criticized because he isn't liked by some so their distaste for him a person shines through to their analysis of him as a player. Most OSU fans wouldn't put him in the top 5 of OSU signal callers because of the way he was as a person. They will point to the lack of a national championship (a team accomplishment) but then attempt to discredit OSU wins under Pryor because of his surrounding cast. So he gets hurt for not winning a title but doesn't get any props for the games his team did win. So in that sense, he's under rated. As the top prospect in the country, all one can really do is live up to, not exceed, expectations but again, his reputation doesn't get points for or against it because of where he was before his time at OSU, only after. There may not be a more galvanizing person in OSU's history than Pryor as there is almost no middle ground on the opinion of the guy. His stats are great and he wasn't used properly. He won games with great talent around him-as did just about every QB in OSU history, we are Ohio Damned State after all. He is under rated because his accomplishments get forgotten because he got caught doing what most college kids do (and got blamed for the actions of 4 other people).

+3 HS

but Brewster, its the criteria of the OP

but this is in the context of his hype and recruiting ranking

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

If anything, Pryor was underrated. We complained about his passing but all he did was win big games. 

+3 HS
BAR43's picture

Maybe I am confused by the meaning of underrated. Pryor was the top recruit in the nation in his class... so needless to say the expectations were for him to come to OSU and win NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, which he did not. Now I am absolutely NOT saying her was overrated, but to say he was underrated doesnt quite make sense. He was expected to be dominant when he came in and he was, most of the time. So how was he underrated?

jameslee203's picture

Pryor is underrated.  The offensive talent, both coaching and players, is way way better for BMiller.  Think on the O-Line.  Need more time to judge Pryor accurately, but he will be regarded as one of OSU's best.

+1 HS

is way way better for BMiller.

Not at WR. Pryor holds the edge there. Hartline, Robiskie, Posey, and Sanzenbacher are better than just about any WR Braxton has had so far.

Braxton has the edge when it comes to RB help. Pryor only had Beanie for one year.

It's too bad Hartline and Beanie left early. That '09 team could have been in the NC game had they stayed.

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I had such a love/hate with the way TP played the game.  If he had passed the ball consistently like he did in the Rose Bowl OR had played in a Urban Meyer type system, he could have been in the debate for best college QBs.  I loved his stiff arm and fire on the field.  I loved how it was always electric when he had the ball in his hands.  On any given play TP could make magic happen.  Guy was a physical beast.

Conversely, I felt like he had no idea about reading a defense and/or passing game reads in general.  I also do not like all of the stories I heard about his behavior and attitudes towards teammates (say what you will about this but I have heard/seen some credible turd moves).  There were also some pressers that were embarrassing, like the Michael Vick defense.

Despite the passing troubles and occasional diva behavior, that guy was awesome to watch, and flat out won games and put up numbers.  I think TP is/was accurately rated, not overrated or underrated...he could have been in the discussion for an all timer but met an unfortunate and premature end to his college career.  A chance at his senior season, with a few small tweaks in the direction he was heading, and he could have very easily added a Heisman and National Title to his resume.

+2 HS
CC's picture

+1 one for using the term "credible turd moves" - not sure the english language has ever seen those three words put together in that order.

Chief B1G Dump's picture

+1 back atcha. Thanks for reading. 

Seattle Linga's picture

With Dump in his name ............. what did you expect???

jameslee203's picture

Pryor lost what, 6 games in his career?  USC, PSU, Texas, USC, Purdue, Whisky.  He was an all timer.  Better than any of the Cooper QBs, below Troy, but up there.

OSU069's picture

He lost only 4 games as a starter

+2 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I meant all timer in the game of college football, not just at OSU...if he had added a Heisman and a National Title on top of what he did in his first 3 years, guy woulda been on Mt Rushmore. 

OSU069's picture

Just think about it like this, 3 years with Pryor we went to 3 BCS games and won 2, including over an SEC team. In the 3 years since then, we have been eligible for 2 bowl games. We have 0 bowl wins. 

+2 HS
BAR43's picture

No individual single handedly wins or loses games. Also please look at the defenses Pryor had during his tenure compared to the last 2 seasons.

+2 HS
jameslee203's picture

Look at the O-Lines, coaches, offensive skill position players.

+2 HS
Jdadams01's picture

Under: Antonio Pittman

Over: James Laurinaitis

Don't get me wrong, JL was a great college player and is a very good pro. But I always had him a notch below Kat, Hawk, and Spielman. He never seemed like a guy the other team had to game plan around. He didn't seem to disrupt opposing backfields or offenses and he was more of a pile jumper than the other three guys I named. Yet we always put him in the same category as those three. I'd take him back in a heartbeat, but I'd also take those other three over him every day of the week. 

+3 HS
BroJim's picture

Pittman was our bread and butter. Nice point man. Love Pittman.

I season my simple food with hunger

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I was thinking Pittman, as well, but especially his freshman year.  We couldn't run the ball to save our ass with our OL and Mo Hall and Lydell Ross.  Pittman got some carries as a freshman, and looked twice the back the others were.  Thought he needed more time earlier.

My God Mo Hall and Lydell Ross were probably the worst 1/2 Combo I've ever seen at the RB position. I'm sure the line deserves some of the complaints but God damn those dudes were a couple of slouches. Never seen anything like it before or after and this message will self destruct after reading.

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Overrated: Alex Boone, Jamaal Berry

Underrated: Sanzenbacher

+1 HS
Buckeye06's picture

Overrated: Zwick

Underrated: I like the Pittman one but I'll go with Jake Ballard.   He was asked to be the blocking TE all game every game, but then he made perhaps the biggest play for OSU in the past 5 years climbing up and pulling down the pass in the Rose.  And he's had a successful NFL year to boot, with plenty more time for more

+4 HS
BAR43's picture

Underrated: AJ Hawk... believe he was a lowly 3 star recruit coming in

Overrated: Mike D'Andrea

MAVBuck's picture

Was just going to say the same.

Underrated: Hawk, Sanzenbacher, Zach Boren, Troy Smith!!!!!!

Overrated: Lots to choose from- D'Andrea, Robert Rose, Dorian Bell, maybe Rod Smith?

+2 HS
1MechEng's picture

It's too bad about D'Andrea ... he was a monster in HS, and then wrecked his knee and was never right again.

+3 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Overrated: Curtis Grant, Will Muschamp, Carmelo Anthony, Macklemore & Lewis and Dunkin Donuts

Underrated: Ryan Shazier, Gary Anderson, Paul George, Thirty Seconds from Mars and Oregon Cheerleaders

+2 HS

Paul George

You have him in the wrong category.

-2 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Had 9 guys taken ahead of him and he ended up being better than all of them! Thus..... underrated! 

+1 HS

People were saying that he was a superstar, and a top 5 player. Which makes him overrated.

And he's not a better player than DeMarcus Cousins.

+1 HS

LOL, keep DV-ing me stalkers ... Haha

I wish when people upvote and downvote, it would show who made the votes, or maybe people could give a reason they downvote other people. Apparently a differing opinion must really butthurt some sensitive people on here. Haha, it's funny actually.

-10 HS
Lawver_5's picture

Addressing them isn't going to help your cause. Acting like you don't care when you actually do isn't either. Just don't worry about them

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

This thread reminds us of two fundamental facts of life:

1. The first rule of down votes is that you don't talk about down votes; and,
  2. Many people confuse down votes with a mechanism for indicating disagreement.
+4 HS
HattanBuck85's picture

UnderRated: Na'il Diggs. Yes, Andy Katzenmoyer was a beast, but people forget how good he was.

OverRated: James Laurinitis. Love the guy and he is a great pro, but he just hit the whole sometime so quick that he was left badly out of position.

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

TraSmith4's picture

No way in holy youknowwhere Little Animal is or ever was overrated!

+2 HS

based on Shane-Utah's criteria, Laurinitis isn't even close to being overrated. He came in as a 3 star meant to backup others. The fact he started for some of the best defenses if anything puts him at par.

and even if he wasn't as sure of a tackler as you would have liked, he seems to tackle just fine in the NFL.

I am curious how you think a 3 star recruit that becomes an All-American and starter for 3 years (two on national championship contending teams) is overrated. could you tell me a better middle linebacker than him on the team since?

+3 HS
HattanBuck85's picture

Squirrel: As I said in my post, he is a great pro. I think he is a great example of a player doing BETTER in the pros. My view of him as over-rated has nothing to do with his high school ranking but what us, Buckeye fans, think of our players. I think he was a VERY GOOD player but he got exposed in the big games. To me, a top notch Buckeye player excels in the big games like Troy Smith.

And I would add Santonio Holmes as under-rated too. I think outside of Boston, Galloway, Glenn & Cris Carter, he was the best WR we have ever had. And I think he was not appreciated enough...

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS

I think you need to look up what overrated means. saying someone is VERY GOOD but then adding an issue you personally had with him doesn't mean he was thought of higher than what you think. for where he came from to being an AA, I think he is about on par with where everyone puts him. I don't think one person would say he is better than Hawk or Katzenmoyer, but he's been the best since. That is about "rated" in my book. (not over or under). I would love to have him on this team this year in place of Curtis Grant.

o·ver·rate
ˌōvərˈrāt/
verb
past tense: overrated; past participle: overrated
have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved.
"dismissing the work as pompous and overrated"

synonyms: overestimate, overvalue, think too much of, attach too much importance to, praise too highly More

HattanBuck85's picture

I agree with you 110% re: Little Animal over C. Grant. 

1MechEng's picture

Underrated: Sammy Silverman (not a player, but think of everything he does for the program!), Zach Boren

Overrated: Ray Small

+3 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Overrated:  Justin Zwick.  Thought he was the QB of the future but nope, that was Troy.

Underrated:  Antonio Pittman.  Troy Smith always got the headlines when they played together, but Pittman was always a solid to very good back.

Class of 2010.

+3 HS
Crumb's picture

Didn't Pittman have around a 200 yard day against Iowa in 05? Definitely an underrated guy.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+1 HS
jameslee203's picture

Overrated : Luke Fickell (coach)

Underrated : Jim Tressel 

Tressel is about to claim his 3rd scalp when Jabba the Hoke is canned this yr.  Tressel built upon the Cooper years and walled off Ohio talent for all other programs, esp Michigan.  You can draw a straight line from Tress taking over to downfall of Mich as program.  This is all besides the fact that he owned the BIG for 10yrs.  I love urbs but we are still living in tress' world.

Fickell can recruit but not coach.  That is worth something.  He still cant coach tho.

+2 HS
BAR43's picture

Dont be ignorant. He wouldnt still be at OSU if he wasnt a good coach. To bad he cant live up to the expectations of seasoned couch potato coaches like yourself.

-1 HS
jameslee203's picture

Nic Sicilliano was our QB coach... and I'm ignorant.  Luke has been the DCoord of 2 of the worst OSU D's in the last 15yrs.  He's around because he can recruit and he stepped in for Tress.  Hopefully he can be a MAC HC next yr so Urbs doesnt have to drop him.

BAR43's picture

He was CO defensive coordinator... not to mentioned he only controlled the decent part of our defense, not the weak point which was our secondary. 

-1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Two questions here:

1. This whole board hates Fickell. How is he overrated?
  2. This whole board loves Tressel. How is he underrated?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-1 HS
CC's picture

Overrated - Beanie Wells, Dontre Wilson

Underrated - Boom Herron

Beanie was a great back but people discuss him with Eddie and co and he's just not in that club.  My expectation (and many others) was that we would have at least 1 "oh my god, did you see that" moment from Dontre.  It didn't happen for me.  Boom seemed never to get any credit but he helped us win so really big games (Sugar Bowl)

-4 HS
OSU069's picture

Dontre Wilson? After 1 season???

+2 HS
CC's picture

Things can change in season two, but after 1 season he didn't live up to the hype..  Didn't you expect at least one break away/big gainer in a prime time moment?

I think some people here are confusing overrated with being a good player.  The point of this thread (I think) is how have people performed relative to the hype they have surrounding them.  He was not even the best freshman on the team yet he clearly had the most hype.

I didn't downvote you, except the comment about why you are getting downvoted, but you are bat shit crazy saying Braxton is overrated. and especially using the caveat based on hype and ranking. Terrelle Pryor was WAY more hyped and ranked the top QB of the WHOLE class, some the top player. I could easily compare Braxton's stats to him and Braxton wasn't even considered a top 5 QB (top dual threat , true). He wasn't heralded as a great passing QB, so the knock on him as a passer is on par if anything. Not to mention his first two years he had incompetence at WR (last year was better but still not elite by any stretch).

and I assumed your "interesting" post was about who might be the MOST overrated, I can point out plenty of players who were "rated" higher than their production (since that is your guidelines) and just flopped on the field. Dorian Bell comes to mind first. To say Braxton, who has started since a true freshman and has been undisputed since, is overrated is laughable. How about picking one person who isn't 1/2 of the best offense in the history of Ohio State football (you know, statistically).

underrated: Brian Rolle. He was the Merriam/Webster dictionary of underrated!

+5 HS
BAR43's picture

Well said all around!!

The Thrill is Gone's picture

Underrated: Michael Jenkins.  So many clutch 3rd down catches to keep drives alive in '02...including NC game...and possibly the most clutch catch I've ever seen - 4th & 1 for 40-yd TD to win @ Purdue!!  (This takes nothing away from Krenzel's gutsy throw...)

Overrated: Urban Frank Meyer.

-1 HS
bgsubuckeye's picture

Come on brah, to troll you have to make it believable. Your post history makes it obvious. Keep working on it though. 

Of course it's obvious!  I make no bones about it, I think Urban Meyer's best (Tebow) days are behind him and I think he'll leave Ohio State in a bad place before it's all said and done.

That said, I'm no "troll" - I'm an Ohioan and an alumni...just not one willing to drink the Kool-Aid...

BGSU...check out Bill Rabinowitz's "Buckeye Rebirth" - a great read for any fan, lots of good behind the scenes stuff.

There was no hiring process when Urban came aboard.  None.  It was basically, "Well, you're Urban Meyer and we need a coach, so..."  Does that make sense to you?  To anyone?  This is arguably the greatest college football program of all time and we just handed the job to a guy who quit his last job in such ridiculous fashion?

For a long time, it looked like things were working.  Then it got real...and they whiffed.  Twice...to teams we should have dominated considering who we are and who they were.  I realize my comments come across as bitter - and maybe I am - but I'm just not a believer in what's going on up there right now.  I need to see something to buy in to this "administration" again.   Buckeye fan for life...supporter of individuals as warranted...basically, Urban's gotta prove he's more than just a big mouth at this point (IMHO).

WhySoSerious's picture

Overrated K. Rambo, Pitt Brown, JB good ole mr false start, A. Russell 

Underated Dana, A. Pittman, W. Allen, A. Youbooty spell chech. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS
stewart3666's picture

Underrated: Brian Hartline, Anthony Gonzales, Jake Ballard

+1 HS

Underrated: Landing strips,pretty nipples

Overrated: Actual fat asses,bubblegum

-1 HS
coke's picture

Underrated-Pittman, Mangold (elite), Sims, Ballard (under-utilized), Hawk (great throughout), Kurt Coleman (terrible Sophmore, but great Junior and Senior years), Germaine, Pryor (production), Sanzenbacher, Galloway, Glenn, Boston...

Overrated-Schlegel (Laurenitas should have started over him), Nickey, Hartline (very good pro career), Robinski, Shazier (had a very good career, but he did not show up against MSU and Clemson).., 

-2 HS
BAR43's picture

WOW... Shazier as overrated. You must be outside your mind. He was the best LB in the entire nation last year and had the numbers to prove it. I guess when I guy cant make 20 tackles every single game he is considered overrated. Clueless...

-1 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

It's a matter of opinion, about Shazier.  Sure he was a fantastic Buckeye player, but he wasn't the best linebacker in the country last year, or the Big 10 for that matter.  You could argue that he was over rated by many Buckeye fans.  

-1 HS
BAR43's picture

Interesting.... #2 for solo tckl in the nation, #3 total tackles in nation, #3 Tackles for loss in the nation, #4 Forced Fumbles for all LB, #8 for sacks for all LB. No other player or LB in B1G or even in the nation was top 10 in all those categories. The man was a recking ball and cant wait to watch him do it all again in Black&Yellow!

Rogabone's picture

For Shazier (and everyone else on the defense for that matter) to be playing out of position ALOT due to the "Schemes" that are being blamed for overall poor "D" ;ast year and still rack up the numbers that he did is quite impressive. It's a situational issue that he did not have even better numbers. The point is that RDS would be a beast anywhere he played and that speaks volumes. He is going to be crazy good in the Steelers 3-4 defense as Weakside inside guy. He is already practicing with the first squad and atop the depth chart next to Lawrence Timmons. Wish we had him for a senior year campaign (says Captain Obvious).

"Who is that madman?" the new arrival asked St. Peter.

"That's God," St. Peter replied. "But he thinks he's Woody Hayes."

B1G_Deal's picture

Over rated - Christian BryAnt.  He wiff on coverage too much cuz he want to make sportcenter top ten with big hit. Decent but not great

Under rated - Jake Ballard . Underutilized by walrus man.

Also under rated for hardwood is Mike Conley jr. 

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Let's take it back to the Cooper years, shall we?

Overrated: Stan Jackson. Why he split time with Joe Germaine in '96 and '97 is beyond me.

Underrated: Joe Germaine. Why he split time with Stan Jackson in '96 and '97 is beyond me.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+7 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

During the Cooper years I'd like to add that Mike Wiley was a sensational RB, running behind a pretty good OL in those days.  Wiley easily could have been a multiple year 1,000 yard runner if he had been given enough touches.  Wiley had and displayed Game breaking ability.

+2 HS
BlockO's picture

I believe craig krenzel was overrated as a qb. It is true that he won a national championship but imo he sucked as a qb. That team won because of the defense and run game. Krenzel did not make mistakes and was a good leader but we won not because of him but in spite of him. Underrated I would go with chad cacchio lol....all that dude did was score.

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

-1 HS

In general I would agree with you about Krenzel but he was a big part of that win against Miami. He led the team in rushing, he threw the TD passes and he was a good leader despite Miami's defense raping his offensive line. True the defense was a huge part of that win, but you have to give him some credit for that game. Miami would have won if it wasn't for Krenzel gutting it out.

and again, I don't think anyone is saying he is the best ever or saying he was all that great. I think everyone agrees he wasn't the best QB. I would put him as "rated" if anything, definitely not Underrated.

and he did throw this pass,

I would also put a lot of Krenzel's game manager style on Tresselball too!

+3 HS
Rogabone's picture

Underrated = Ricky Dudley - TE '95 stats = 37 Catches / 575 Yds / 15.5 Avg. / 7 TDs

Was recruited by Randy Ayers for some Round-Ball so no football recruitment at all.

"Who is that madman?" the new arrival asked St. Peter.

"That's God," St. Peter replied. "But he thinks he's Woody Hayes."

+3 HS