Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Making Most Recent Pro Combat Uniforms Our Official Uniform

jmacaulay17's picture
April 16, 2014 at 11:32am
48 Comments

Since we are currently experiencing that time of year lacking consistent and exciting football news, I figured I would generate a little discussion. I'm more curious as to how the "older" crowd responds, but obviously anyone can contribute. 

My question for you, my 11W family, how would you react if the athletic department decided to make the most recent pro combat uniforms we have been wearing our official uniform for both home and away games? I know many people claim history/tradition as a reason to keep our current jerseys, but they have in fact changed quite a bit over time. Personally, in addition to maybe a few minor changes, I would not be too upset. I would add gray pants to the uniforms we wore against TTUN last year as the "official" away jersey, but I would not be opposed to have the white pants every once in awhile as I thought the all white look was pretty cool, especially in the beginning of this video:

Discuss!

TheBadOwl's picture

I love our current uniforms, and I love the alternates. I'm fine wearing them for three or four games each year (we used them in four games last year) and wearing our traditional uniforms the rest of the year.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

buckeyeEddie27's picture

I had similar thoughts creeping around last year while watching those games.  I always come back to the traditional uni's though.  They could be tweaked a little but a complete overhaul is too much. 

That said, I know the players seem to love this particular alternate uni but I'm kinda over it.  Let's see what else Nike  has up their sleeves.

....Those road uniforms are something else though.  Damn.

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

I always thought that the alternates were at some point were going to take over. I like them and they are not a huge change. As pointed out the uniforms have changed over the years so the only tradition needed is Scarlet and Grey and that they not be turned into the crap that oregon shovels out.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

As a borderline member of the older crowd (I'm 33 but you wouldnt know it from the handle) I would like to say that I dont really give a shit anymore.
I was more of a traditionalist and like our estabilished baseline look. I was open to small tweaks here and there, adding a gray stripe or black or whatever. I am also aware of the changes to Buckeye uniforms throughout or history. I was cool with the Combat uniforms for a random big night game or something of that nature but did not want them for the TTUN game and/or all of our big games. I was also of the opinion that the line "these help recruiting" was total BS started by those who get a piece of the jersey sale action and perpetuated by youth.
However, as we see these combat unis more and more, I realize that many casual football fans probably already think those are our standard issue uniforms. I also realized I dont care what we wear, I am a Buckeye fan regardless.
Opinion-wise, there we procombat variations I hated but the recent ones we have worn more than once are on par with most of the changes throughout our history and are cool enough for my traditional tastes. So, overall, I dont really care...I just want the Buckeyes to kick ass, remain a relevant power, and do it the right way. If that means combat unis on a temporary or permanent basis, then do it...Ill still cheer hard and pound booze either way.

+5 HS
osu07asu10's picture

(I'm 33 but you wouldnt know it from the handle) I would like to say that I dont really give a shit anymore.

You know it's bad when Chief B1G Dump doesn't give a shit...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+13 HS
MichaelJ721984's picture

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM.... Booze.

OSUStu's picture

Men's white pants are so Spring 2012.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+8 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

The one thing that really distinguishes college football from nearly every other sport on the American landscape is its tradition. I love college football. I love the fact that teams can have such simple uniforms that are still distinct and identifiable. Look at Alabama, PSU, *ichigan, USC, etc. They are pretty bland, yet we all know exactly who that team is. I prefer to stick with these traditions. Hell, I wish they' kept the '68 jerseys.

That being said, if having flashier, "sexier" uniforms, with different options and colors gets OSU better players, then bring it on! (Note: Oregon's combinations of hideousness allegedly bring it awesome recruits, but they're not a recruiting blue blood by any stretch of the imagination.)

The tertiary uniforms really are only rolled out by Nike for one reason - to get all of us fools to buy a new jersey every single season. My Michael Wiley (#5) and Troy Smith (#10) jerseys sure seem to continue to work out well however...(although the Eddie George throwback is my all-time fave).

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+5 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

If we could make the scarlet metallic stripe on the helmet a little more narrower and maybe change the black lettering on the names a little this could maybe work.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-1 HS
jmacaulay17's picture

Regarding the black color for the name on the back, I kind of have mixed feelings towards it. It's definitely different than what we are accustomed to, and that's how I felt in the beginning. But now I'm not so opposed to the idea since we've seen it fairly often as of late and black is also a color on our iconic stripe frequently used. 

The Ohio State University Class of 2013

SilverBullet-98's picture

I agree, I really don't care for the Black Lettering of the players names either. White should be the color.

I like our silver/gray pants. Ohio State's away jerseys are the best and when the helmit is full of helmit stickers it's the best look/brand in college football.

Tweak it alittle, have a new jersey for games here and there but don't go with the aluminum helmit look.

Ohio St came out with those metallic gray helmits and hence the brand SILVER BULLETS. Now everybody changing to copying us. But Weare "The Silver Bullets".

"The Past Builds the Future"

-1 HS
otrain2416's picture

I'm in the younger crowd (25). I personally like what were doing with those uniforms right now. I'm a fan of keeping our old uniforms and busting out the alternates a few times a year for big games. The guys on the team seem to enjoy them and its a special occasion when they wear them. For example this season this is what I would do:

• @Navy- Traditional
  • Virginia Tech- Alternate
  • Kent State - Traditional
  • Cincinnati- Traditional
  • @Maryland- Traditional
  • Rutgers- Traditional
  • @Penn State- Alternate
  • Illinois-Traditional
  • @Michigan State-Alternate
  • @Minnesota- Traditional
  • Indiana- Traditional
  • TSUN- Alternate

This would give us 2 home and 2 away with alternates. 

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Oh god, doing our all-whites in the night game at Happy Valley would be such a great troll move.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+17 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Yea cause God knows they will be handing out their free "WHITEOUT" shirts when daddy rolls into town.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

Chief B1G Dump's picture

Great idea, im texting Urban on the Bat-phone.

+7 HS
e135800's picture

Not too crazy about W on W but I would love to see us and scUM both wear the traditional home jerseys for The Game. 

sivaDavis's picture

23 so I guess I'm in the young crowd. All I would say is I dont care how many times they wore the Pro Combats but just give me one game with the traditional uniforms each year and that's against TTUN. Wasn't a huge fan of the white on white up there this year. Actually they've done it the past couple years, busting out a new jersey against TTUN. Just not my cup of tea. I'd rather have this every day of the week and twice on Sunday..

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+7 HS
kmp10's picture

Hate, hate, hate it. I'm an old guy (50) and I just cannot understand why Ohio State is letting Nike "fix" what isn't broken. The subtle changes made the last few years are bad, IMO. The de-emphasis of the black on the pant stripe last season (terrible idea), and the complete change of the jersey stripe during the Tressel era (another terrible idea) is Nike slowly eroding one of college football's classic, sharp uniforms. I know, "the kids like it"… so what. This isn't Oregon where myriad different uniform combinations are part of the attraction. Ohio State is one of the five most storied and tradition laden programs in college football history. That, in and of itself, is more than enough to attract the best of the best. In addition, Ohio State's classic uniform is ALWAYS included in different publications lists of college football's best uni's. I don't mind the uniform worn for the Orange Bowl. I actually like those pants FAR better than the pants Nike ruined on last years regular uni… but I always will prefer the classic Ohio State uniform. The one worn by the 70's Hayes era teams and some of the Tressel era teams. The regular uni worn last season was essentially an exact replica of the Bruce era teams… and while it's still a good looking uniform, it is the worst of the Ohio State uniforms since the change to the current style in the 1968 season - in my opinion. 

+3 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

i dont like messing with the jerseys. i'm a tweener (29). but, that said, i want to do what recruits like, and that is obviously the alternate jerseys.

as piss poor as our defense was in the last two games wearing the alternates last year, maybe it's something that should be shelved until the silver bullets return - have to earn them back.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+2 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture
(26 years old here) I would love it if they stick to this

and this.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+7 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

I think we will definitely have something special when we play Maryland(UnderArmour) game.

Although I'm a traditionalist and love the jerseys from the mid 90's I did like the all white look with white helmit and numbers on it.

Recruits and players love them so, alotta fun, alotta fun here is the way to go.

Side note, would love to see a uniform or helmit the interacted with a red glow as the team gets ready and takes the field at home.

Would really like to see a new tradition and way of taking the field for the football team. The Band can't be improved imho. It's just awesome.jmho

"The Past Builds the Future"

Seattle Linga's picture

Traditionalist here - love the standard uniforms - I can deal with a little flair.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Thoughts on TSUN game being Home v Home jersey ala USC/UCLA?

+4 HS
KBonay's picture

Like so (don't you dare poke fun of my mad paint skills)

+1 HS
CC's picture

Shouldn't that say "0-3" rather than "30" on his jersey?

+2 HS
OneToughNut25's picture

That would be amazing!  I would totally be down for that!  

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Wonder why these guys were only 5-7 last year.

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Although I do like their helmets.

+3 HS
biggy734's picture

I'm 33 and I tend to lean towards the pro combat jerseys. Simply because I think they look better. I don't want kind of drastic overhaul, but I do feel that they're a more modern version of our traditional look.

I tend to take the attitude of nothing stays the same. The look we're so used to now was probably thought to be a blasphemous by a portion of our fanbase back then as well. They switch to the pro combat look and 15 years from now we'll be saying they shouldn't change from it to something else. 

That's not to say I don't love our current uniforms or would be upset if we didn't make the switch. We really can't go wrong either way imo. Just avoid doing anything crazy and we're golden.

+1 HS
Bugsyk's picture

The Alt Helmets & shirts are fine every once in a while; but you shouldn't wear white pants after Labor day...

buckeyefutbol's picture

Urban is a new era and these jerseys scream Urban. Also we could wear our combats for most games and wear the traditional against TSUN/ other big games? That would be pretty cool...

"Lets beat the s*** out of M*******" -Urban Frank Meyer

JohnnyKozmo's picture

I do like the all white, but i'm also a big fan of the all white Texas and PSU unis too.  I'm fine with the throwbacks for big games, but I don't want to see it turn into a freak show like Oregon or Maryland.  Maybe adding a grey jersey, white pants, and scarlet pants, in our current style, then you can have some mixing and matching, kinda like FSU started with all one color, or alternating colors.  I heard Burt Reynolds actually came up with those first alternate uniforms for FSU-is that true?

NuttyBuckeye's picture

Personally, I am a fan of the traditional uniforms... Classic school with a long line of tradition, and why mess with that?

I am 50, but I don't have a problem with the alternate uniforms, I get it, the younger crowd loves them.  My only insistence is that we DO NOT wear a BLACK jersey - EVER!!  Our colors are Scarlet and Gray, NOT BLACK and anything else.  Also, I would prefer to stick to classic uniforms in The Game.  Why ruin this rivalry, it is The Greatest Rivalry in all of Sport?

If we are getting really into the uniforms, I would like to see the current jerseys have gray sleeves, so the stripes on the sleeves that are like the helmet stripes can be identical.  Notice on the white uniform, the white stripes are gray.  If the sleeve was gray, the entire sleeve will look like the helmet.  Let Nike design something cool for the sleeve color on these jerseys.

Marc Pocock (a.k.a NuttyBuckeye)

You can take the man out of Ohio, but you cannot take the Ohio out of the man. Go Bucks!!

-1 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Black is a school color.

-2 HS
BPOSU's picture

23 Years old here...

To be honest, my opinion is whatever helps best with recruiting. Believe it or not, to the average 17-18 year old kid, having uniforms with "swag" is pretty important. With that said, to accomplish this I think we need to keep being proactive with Nike and releasing new alternates every year. Styles change and what's "in" is different every season. Use the new uniforms as something that gets headlines, display them all in the Woody and let Nike take care of the rest each year.

"Terrelle, are you coming back next year?" ..."Ahight"

+1 HS
GranvilleBuck's picture

I am olldschool, and old ( 62 ) But I think the alternate uniform is terrible. What is wrong with being classic. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Plus one for you old-timer

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

These are the only pro combat unis i've ever liked. If ever they were gonna make a change to these, then I would support it.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Kjetland's picture

I'm fine with OSU wearing alternates every now and again...but they should never wear them for Michigan...

+1 HS
GranvilleBuck's picture

OSU uniform is classic.  The helmet on this latest alternate uniform is God awful.  The Michigan  game is the one game I never like to see them wear this piece of crap. OSU's uniform's make them stand out like no other in college football. If recruits decide to go to a school based on uniform choices then by all means go to Oregon.  

+1 HS
GranvilleBuck's picture

KJ.....I agree. And Seattle is a person after my own heart. When OSU came out on the field in the 60's 70's 80's their was no doubt who that was.  When TBDBITL comes out and plays Script Ohio, nobody in the country has any doubt who that is. You don't even have to be a football fan to know that is THE OSU Band,  Now....It seems as if the alternate uniform craze has just made the football team  seem like everyone else. There is something to be said for styling once in awhile, but when you have a product that is universally recognized as the best in it's field ......Why wear this?

Il_Padrino's picture
In regard to this particular game, the ol' ball coach sure planned to fail that day (e.g. white pants and white helmets).  I think that all future uniform options for all teams must have taken a page from this game, in that nearly every college team now has alternate uniforms (not the traditional home and away, stuff like what Oregon does). 

Heck, why didn't he at least have the helmets painted scarlet?  or put some kids stickers on the sides with snow men, santa clause, or other.  Can you imagine... "and today the Buckeyes are wearing their home uniform with Christmas decoration stickers on their helmets". 

The statistics from the game are remarkable:

Ohio State had 41 yards of total offense, Michigan 27.
The Buckeyes actually attempted 18 passes, completing just three for 25 yards.
Michigan had no first downs; Ohio State three.
The teams punted a combined 45 times for a total of 1,408 yards.
The team fumbled 10 times but lost only one each.
1950 Snow Bowl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP1ZfZMbarI

Details on this game: https://library.osu.edu/projects/OSUvsMichigan/snowbowl.html

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!

+1 HS
Tampabuckeye85's picture

I am actually fond of the uni we wore against ttun in 2010 with the Scarlet helmet and gray pants. 

-1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

I consider myself old school in a lot of ways, but I think they did a great job modernizing those pro combat jerseys and based them on tradition while updating them.  Kind of like muscle cars, I LOVE the 60's-70's muscle cars, but the new ones that take styling cues from the old ones look great, too.  You have to change with the times, I say do it while celebrating the past and tradition.

CC's picture

I'm 38, my biggest issue is that I simply don't like the alternate unis we wore the last 2 years.  The helmet looks choochie.  I like the traditional uniforms and think they should be worn for all big games, the opposite of what has happened recently.

I loved the white unis we wore at Michigan in 2009 (I think it was 2009 at least) with the numbers on the helmets.

MassiveAttack's picture

I'm 42, and I love the Nike Pro Combat Uniforms used in 2013!  I have no issue with them being used as the full time gear.  It would separate us from the other red teams like Wisconsin.  I respect that lots of people like tradition, but if you look at the history, we didn't have the "traditional" uniforms for 100 years or something. 

Designs change over time.  I don't see anyone complaining about the 2001 Ohio Stadium seating upgrades.  While people do complain about the red endzones (seriously?), nobody is fighting the FieldTurf.

AkronBuckeye13's picture

I loved the unis we wore against Wisconsin in 2011, simple and sharp.