Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Likelyhood of Jim Hair-ball ending up at Michigan

Ericgobucks's picture
February 24, 2014 at 9:54pm
48 Comments

Listening to Colin Cowherd today he made an interesting statement. He said 2 sources he trusts said Harbaugh and SF are not getting along and there is real friction there. The notion of the trade to Cleveland wasn't just a joke and that SF was willing to move him. If that is the case I wonder if this shortens Hoke's leash and even if Brandon is having talks with Harbaugh now? I am not usually one to entertain wild ideas or conspiracy theories, but this one makes a lot of sense. Wasn't the issue with Harbaugh the last time just timing? I wonder if he would entertain a return to his alma mater to be a savior? Harbaugh is one guy that i think would right their ship in a VERY short amount of time.  I do really hope Hoke stays at this point because he will never get them to Championship level. Curious what others think about this. I do feel Hoke was pretty far down Dave Brandon's list and was stuck taking him to stop the hemorrhaging. 

rosycheeks's picture

This thought terrifies me. I think Michigan could truly become the next Bama if Harbaugh ended up there. Please, please, Jim...keep that grudge.

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Hahahahaha I'm sorry but no... and please excuse my cockiness, but if there is one team in the north that can become the "next Bama", you're already cheering for them buddy.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+9 HS
Jeeves's picture

I don't want Ohio State to be the next bama, we should aim higher than that. 

+6 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Recently, there hasn't been a program more successful than Bama. But I get what you're saying. We should be better and a lot more clean.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
kmp10's picture

Beau Bishop said today that people he knows and considers to be very reliable sources told him that Harbaugh was "very interested" in the TTUN job, and as a matter of fact was in the preliminary stages of putting a staff together after Rodriguez was fired. What happened? Per Bishop, David Brandon was thought to be far too ambivalent in his pursuit of Harbaugh for coach Harbaugh's liking, so he (Harbaugh) decided to stay on the west coast and accept the 49er job. Bishop said "don't be fooled", Harbaugh badly wanted the TTUN job, and it wouldn't surprise him (Bishop) in the least if Jim Harbaugh is their next head coach. He did caution that *ichigan is in a "tough spot" regarding Hoke, but that unless things change dramatically next season expect Harbaugh's name to surface in connection to that job.

Ericgobucks's picture

I think if Harbaugh is unhappy, it's only natural to get a "wandering eye," so to speak. 

Ericgobucks's picture

Well, it looks like as soon as I posted this, I notice this article on espn. Could just be damage control, but probably not.http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10511439/san-francisco-49ers-quickly-r...

The Rill Dill's picture

How can Michigan be the 'next Bama, if Ohio State is already on the way?

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

The rift between Harbaugh & TSUN is real so there would have to be some serious bridge mending for him to return to Ann Arbor.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Like a 55 million dollar bridge? haha

From what I've heard through people I know at Stanford and from the few times I've met Jim, he really seems like he's more worried about the right fit rather than just the paycheck. He's going to get paid wherever he goes.

Ericgobucks's picture

What was the nature of the rift? 

Bj Mullens over Sully's picture

I don't have any links or proof of this but I believe what is the rumor of the rift is that when Rich Rod was hired Harbough had really wanted and pushed for the job, but at the time he wasn't the hot name like he is now and he really didn't get much of a look at the job.

Favorite Buckeye: Obviously BJ Mullens

+1 HS

Jim's issues with TSUN definitely predate the hiring of Rodriguez. Even his well publicized comments predate that coaching search by several months. To the best of my knowledge he had no interest in the job in 07 and wouldn't have taken it if offered. I do know that Jim very strongly disliked Bill Martin and didn't like the direction he took the AD.

+2 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I've heard the same.  Jim has a real beef with the brass at TSUN and was vocal about it for a time.

I'm just a guy on the internet but I dont think Harbaugh coaches the skunk bears...

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Didn't Harbaugh get hired at SF before the GM got hired?  That's probably a bad way to start a high stakes ego-drive relationship. 

Earle's picture

I feel compelled to say that I despise Jim Harbaugh. I really have nothing else to add.

SOCK PUPPETS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!!!

+5 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Unless the Buckeyes hire him one of these days to replace Urbs.

2007 Ohio State fans:  Urban Meyer is an butthead poopface McPoopypants

2012 Ohio State fans:  We love Urban Meyer and we're so happy he's back home - we always knew he'd come home

+10 HS
Earle's picture

I didn't like Urban much when he was at Florida (what Buckeye fan did?), but Harbaugh is on a whole 'nother level.

SOCK PUPPETS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!!!

+3 HS
One Bad Buckeye's picture

LOL! This is so true for so many......myself included.  Although, it's tough to recall if I hated Urban, or if I hated the fact that Urban's Gators pantsed my beloved Buckeyes in the NCG.  

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+4 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

I dont know, I always had an admiration from afar for Urban, hence me applying for the Michigan license plate URBNMYR before I got my current one.

+1 HS
BuckGnome's picture

I just ran out of puke.

USMC11917's picture

I wasn't happy we lost that game and that is a drastic understatement. The fact that it was Urban Meyer didn't bother me. The thing that stuck with me was that he mocked our status during a post game interview. That irritated me bad enough to want _ichigan to pull out the victory against him the following year. It made embracing him very hard. His continued enthusiasm and uttered love of this school has healed that wound but I will never forget that smug look and smile when he responded to that reporter. Wish I could find that clip as evidence but it is probably better left buried.

I'm not afraid of Harbaugh, will we lose to scUM a little more frequently? Probably. But it's not like we don't have an elite coach too.  It will do nothing but good things for the conference and the rivalry IF he actually does end up at that vomitus school to the north.  That's one pretty big if though.  

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

So I guess we're pretty sure that Hoke is on his way out then.  Michigan sure would love to get Harbaugh.  He's a good coach it would be a big splash hire like Urban was for us. 

He'd make a splash for sure, but I'm not sure if he'd be the Tsunami that Urban was.....Harbaugh's a great coach, but does he have any rings for Superbowls/NCG's to flaunt in front of recruits?

DJ Byrnes's picture

I could see Michigan lucking into Harbaugh the same way we lucked into Meyer.

Meyer/Harbaugh... wow that would really get the juices flowing.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

PittBuckeye's picture

I just don't think they'd fire the Hokeapotomous if they weren't sure they'd get Harbaugh, and I don't think they could be sure.

bucked up's picture

I don't see him leaving the NFL for college. Doubtful that winning a national title is more important than a super bowl

+3 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I bet atleast 20 NFL teams would love to have him. If he did come back to college it would be awesome to see him spurn the weasels foe team like Georgia, or he would be a good fit in Nebraska.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-1 HS
buckskin's picture

Go to TTUN so Urban can beat your a## and give you a real reason to whine and cry.

rdubs's picture

I WANT CAKE NOW!!! I WANT IT NOW!!!

+3 HS
BUCKI06's picture

I can spin around!

"As long as we're keeping score, we're gonna try to win this thing." - UFM

+1 HS
shaggybuckeye's picture

but the fans are too loud ref!

FROMTHE18's picture

id expect Michigan to throw a billion at Harbaugh once they fire Hoke. Whether JH goes to Michigan, Im not so sure, but it'll be an offer that'll be difficult to turn down. 

Humbuck's picture

Michigan does not have that kind of money.  They are a wealthy school but NFL owners make $200M before they take their head off the pillow.  The top 10 NFL franchises make more in a year than UM football makes in 4 years.  

I know a billion is hyperbole but Harbaugh will probably see a 5 year $40M deal from an NFL franchise.  No way UM can justify to their board of trustees that their football coach is worth $8M a year when Nick Saban is only getting paid $5M.   

Oyster's picture

During my time interecting with all my friends on a ttun forum I have learned that the general opinion of Brandon is that he is a control freak, very hands on in everyones business and he likes to have yes men around him.  If that is the case, Harbaugh certainly does not fit that mold for what Brandon would like.

Harbaugh also burned many bridges in high places when he made his comments about the academics for athletes at ttun as compared to Stanford.  That type of comment does not sit well with the egos of the wine and cheese crowd.

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Wouldn't this be a step back, so to speak, for Harbaugh? Coaching at a high level in the NFL and going back to the collegiate ranks?

MordenoftheSith's picture

Zero chance.  The Browns have a better chance of getting him than UM.  Why would he essentially demote himself to go back to college where he has it made in the pros?

Before you say anything about the Browns, they could still beat UM; it would still be a demotion to go to UM.

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

Oyster's picture

It would probably take overtime and a couple of gift calls from the refs to do it though...

+1 HS
LouGroza's picture

Think the NFL is by far the better job in terms of being with your family. With recruiting the way it is now, a college coach barely sees his family. He has three kids in his present marriage (2008) with the latest being a son born in 2012. Harbaugh will stay in the NFL. 

+1 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

All those Buckeye fans who say pull for TTUN for the sake of the Big Ten should be pulling for this to happen. Highly doubtful it will though.

Football is complicated...

hit_the_couch's picture

The first problem is you're listening to Cowherd's show. The second problem is scUM doesn't want to pay their coaches. Harbaugh would also take a serious pay cut to go up north.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+2 HS
Ericgobucks's picture

I find Cowherd to very complimentary of Ohio State and Urban Meyer. He's also national and I like the perspective. To me, the biggest knock on Cowherd is simply his employer and not what he says. However, he doesn't seem to be getting the mandates from ESPN to trash the BIG and promote SEC that the college football analysts get. 

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Nope, I don't care who he works for; it's often what he says is the problem. Honestly I don't care if you listen or not.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Humbuck's picture

UM has the 2nd highest paid staff in the B1G, very close to OSU.  Hoke is making $4.11M (#8 highest paid coach) and Mattinson is the 4th highest paid coordinator (#2 DC) in the country.  Borges was the 3rd highest paid OC and Nussmeir was likely paid as much as Borges.   If anything they are overpaying based on results.

Now, they aren't going to pay Harbaugh NFL HC money. John Harbaugh is making $7M a year and Jim is intent on becoming the highest paid NFL coach.  NFL coaching salaries for the elite guys are going to top $8M a year in the near future.  UM would be insane to spend that much. 

No college team can compete with NFL money.  32 NFL teams get $200M a year before a single ticket is sold from their TV deal.  UM grosses just over $100M a year from every facet of football. 

tennbuckeye19's picture

I got the feeling that Harbaugh's goal was to be an NFL coach and was just waiting for the opportunity. If he leaves the 49ers, he'll get more NFL opportunities. I just don't see him going back to he collegiate level and like others have said, he still has a beef with his alma mater.

+3 HS
Humbuck's picture

Absolutely zero chance.....until Harbaugh is in his late 60's like Bill Walsh when he went back to Stanford.

He wants to be the highest paid NFL coach, win Superbowl rings.  Rings, plural.  Jim's college stint was all about getting to the NFL and he will stay in the NFL until he retires. 

Michigan fans are delusional, many think if not Jim Harbaugh then pizza boy will haul in his higher paid, more successful brother John (zero ties to UM outside of his dad working there in the 70's)

^^^^ That is what happens when your program falls into the crapper for the better part of the last 15 years and your primary rival wins with a great coach then goes out and gets an arguably better coach.