Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Jamie Mahaffey, Father of Evan Mahaffey, Receives Heart Transplant

Andy Anders's picture
January 24, 2024 at 10:51pm
11 Comments

Evan Mahaffey and his family received some welcome news on Wednesday.

Jamie Mahaffey, Evan's father, received a heart transplant and is recovering at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville.

Jamie Mahaffey was first diagnosed with heart disease in 2012, then became a candidate for a new heart in December 2023. 

The transplant was a life-saver for Mahaffey. A GoFundMe page was set up for him on Jan. 11 which stated that he was in a “crucial fight against advanced heart failure.”

While Evan Mahaffey said he has gotten somewhat used to playing through the emotions associated with his father's health, it's still been a hefty burden for him. 

“It’s definitely been tougher in some moments. The whole thing with his heart has been going on for a while now,” Mahaffey said after Ohio State's game against Penn State on Saturday. “I’ve been playing with this since the season started, so – I’m not used to it, but it’s a little bit easier because I’ve known it for a while. So now that everyone knows it’s not as different. But it still is hard because, in the back of your mind, you’re like, ‘Any second.’"

Thankfully, Jamie Mahaffey is now on the road to recovery. Danielle Mahaffey, Jamie's daughter, told NBC4 that he is already getting stronger and responding to comments from family members.

There are large medical expenses associated with a heart transplant and recovery. Those who wish to donate to the GoFundMe to support the Mahaffey family can do so here.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 11 Comments