Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

What Are Our Realistic Goals for the Hoops Program?

+11 HS
grahamkamp's picture
March 3, 2022 at 12:58pm
104 Comments

There has been lots of discussion (rightfully so) over the course of the past week or two regarding Chris Holtmann and the basketball program. I think it is right for us to discuss what we realistically expect from the basketball program on a year in year out basis.

Here are my "standards" for the program, and I'm interested to hear what everyone else's are too.

1. Top 4 finish in conference standings
  2. Don't lose to TTUN twice in a season
  3. Top 4 seed in NCAA tournament
  4. Average 22+ wins per season (Currently at 21.75 in Holtmann's first 4 seasons)
  5. Average 1.25 NCAA tournament wins per season (Currently at 0.66)

As you can probably tell I'm big in to numbers/statistics. I think 22 wins is very realistic expectation year in and year out, this will also keep you at about 10 or less losses, and I think once you get to the 12-13 loss mark you are approaching mediocrity.

I wanted to say Average 1.5 wins per NCAA tournament, but that's unrealistic from where we are at. I'd just like to see a sweet 16/elite 8 appearance every 3 years or so at least.

I don't expect Holtmann to become prime Thad, but I do think a slight step up from where we are at is a realistic expectation. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 104 Comments