Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Bigger Offseason Need: Center or Point Guard?

+16 HS
BurtBucks's picture
March 29, 2021 at 10:52pm
72 Comments

Just reached 100 helmet stickers, so here’s my first forum topic!

Ohio State has two clear needs to fill this offseason: point guard and center. The consensus among fans seems to be that center is the bigger priority. I believe finding a true point guard should be the #1 priority, while center should be priority 1a. (This assumes that Kyle Young will return, which is far from a given; if he’s not back, I’d still say that point guard should be the top priority, but adding a big would be imperative as well).

I have argued this point at length elsewhere, but in short, the only two point guards on the roster (Meechie Johnson and Jimmy Sotos) have played only 7.4 minuted per game over 29 games with Ohio State between them, and during that limited sample neither showed much to suggest that they’re ready to be the primary ball handler/distributor next year. At center, on the other hand, Zed Key has played more meaningful minutes and has shown himself ready to contribute 15-20 minutes a game next year, assuming he continues to develop as expected.

Furthermore, the way this roster is constructed, more is needed from the point guard position than the center. With the amount of offensive firepower returning next year and Liddell’s ability to score inside, Ohio State really only needs a center who can match up defensively against other teams with offensive-minded centers; in other situations, Holtman can play a small lineup with Young or Liddell at the 5. However, they need to find a point guard who can replace CJ Jackson’s minutes and run the offense, or the late season issues with shot selection, finishing games, and ball security will only get worse.

In summary, Ohio State needs to find its next starter at point guard, while it could make do with a rotational player at center (which it may already have in Diallo if he returns healthy and is ready to contribute 5-10 minutes a game). Adding a center who can start and score inside would be a huge boost, and should still be a top priority; however, it’s not an absolute necessity for the team’s success next year.

So, what do you think? Which is the greater need: center or point guard?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 72 Comments