Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

How Does the Big Ten Plan to Determine the Basketball Champion?

+8 HS
BeatMeechigun's picture
February 9, 2021 at 8:44am
78 Comments

I'm not only confident that Kevin Warren has a plan to determine a Big Ten champion, but that his plan is one so sound, the decision will not be worth revisiting (and apparently not worth communicating because it's so obvious). /s

Michigan sits at 8-1 - the same position they were in on January 22, nineteen days ago. Since that basketball school's last contest, Ohio State has played 25% of their 20-game Big Ten schedule, going 5-0. With a win on Saturday vs. IU, the Bucks would be 11-4 and tied atop the standings with Michigan if this were baseball.

But it's not baseball. And I admittedly have no idea how the Big Ten plans to crown a regular season champion and have not been able to find any announcements on the topic. Curious if any announcements have been made?

If the number of games played is uneven, is the winner based on winning %? W/L column similar to baseball? Is there a minimum number of games (or did Kevin learn from the football mess?) Will the plan be to make up games with back-to-back nights of play?

Ultimately if Ohio State can't claim a title the blame probably lies near by since we blew late leads against NW and Purdue. But I'll admit - if OSU keeps rolling and manages to take care of both Illinois and Iowa at home to finish with 4 losses and a Michigan team that skipped 25%+ of a Big Ten schedule is declared the champion there will be some angst - especially if our final mark includes a win over TTUN. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 78 Comments