Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

What Could Have Been

+4 HS
BigMoney's picture
February 24, 2017 at 11:55am
36 Comments

After witnessing the teams best performance of the season last night in the dominating win over Wisconsin, I couldn't help but think about where this team could be right now if just a few things went differently.

Currently the team sits at 16-13 (6-10) with the following ratings:

• KenPom - 61
  • RPI - 69
  • BPI - 58

The Bucks are sitting squarely outside the tournament right now and barring a deep run to the finals of the B1G Tournament, maybe even a BIG Tournament win, will be in the NIT for the second year in a row. However, this season could have been totally different if a couple of things went differently:

• The first, and likely the most important, is the injury of KBD. KBD was able to contribute a little bit in the beginning of the season, but has been sidelined for all of B1G play. His ability to score, rebound, play defense, and shoot FTs and 3s would have helped this team immensely if he was in the lineup for B1G play and the UVA game.
  • UVA game (11/30) - OSU lost 63-61 @UVA, who at the time was #6 in the country. OSU was up 16 points at one point but allowed UVA to take the lead with under 5 minutes left and close out the game. As previously mentioned, KBD was not able to play in this game.
  •  FAU game (12/6) - In possibly the worst performance of the season, OSU lost to a really poor FAU team (9-17 currently, RPI -298) 79-77 in OT. OSU was up 11 points with 9 minutes left, but let FAU hang around until they hit the game winning with 1 second left in OT. The Bucks failed to score in the last 2 minutes of OT.
  • Purdue game (1/5) - OSU lost 76-75 in what could have been a big resume boosting win. Trevor Thompson scored and got fouled with 15 seconds left. The basket tied the game at 75, but TT missed the go-ahead FT and fouled Caleb Swanigan with 5 seconds left who made the game winning FT.
  • Nebraska game (2/18) - OSU blows a 5 point lead with 30 seconds left to lose 58-57. A couple bad calls and bone-head plays led to the loss.

In addition to those games OSU either was tied or in the lead with under 5 minutes to play in the following losses: Northwestern, Maryland, and Illinois.

Had the Bucks managed to win the four listed games, they would be 20-9 (8-8) with quality wins of: @UVA, Wisc, Pur, MSU, Minn, and @UM. This resume would likely have OSU projected in the tournament at anywhere between a 6 and 9 seed.

This team had (has?) the potential to have a very solid season and be a great building block for the future if the ball would have bounced slightly different in a couple of instances.

This has been a very rough season, but I think this post and how the team played against Wisconsin is illustrative that the state of the basketball program is not as gloomy as others make it out to be. I think in no circumstances whatsoever should OSU part with Thad after this season. If OSU does not make the tournament again next year, then I think it is time to part ways, but I think OSU should be competing for the B1G championship next year. OSU is only losing Loving, but will be able to cover that loss with the re-addition of KBD. Each player on the team will continue to improve and the team will add depth with K. Wesson, D. Funderburke and B. Beverly. TT, Tate, KBD and Lyle all have the potential to be 1st-Team All B1G and CJ Jackson, A. Wesson and Potter should take big steps forward and be really good players next year.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 36 Comments