Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Greg Oden arrested on battery charges

zachross83's picture
August 7, 2014 at 7:50am
33 Comments
zachross83's picture

From indystar.com

Former NBA player Greg Oden was arrested in Lawrence this morning after allegedly punching a woman.

The incident happened around 3:30 a.m. in the 7200 block of Maple Bluff Place, according to a Lawrence Police Department report.

Officers arrived at the home to find the victim crying and lying across a bed holding her face, police said. A woman described as the victim's best friend first told officers what happened, police said.

"He punched her in the face," the witness said, according to the report.

The victim initially was "uncooperative," police said.

The victim's best friend, police said, told the woman, "There isn't that much love in the world. You need to tell that he punched you in the face."

Police "observed blood, swelling to the nose, lacerations to the forehead and nose area of the victim's face," according to the report. They also "observed blood on the sofa and floor in the sitting area. (They) observed (blood) on the living room carpet (and) dirt from a flower pot that was knocked over.

The house belongs to Oden's mother.

Oden was "calm, apologetic and cooperative" when officers spoke with him, police said.

"I was wrong, and I know what has to happen," Oden told police, according to the report.

Oden told police he dated the victim for approximately two years but broke up approximately two months ago, according to the report.

A Marion County Jail van drove Oden to the arrestee processing center.

He faces a preliminary charge of battery.

Oden became a basketball star at Lawrence North, played at Ohio State and was taken first in the 2007 NBA draft by the Portland Trailblazers. The 7-footer's promising career was grounded by persistent injuries.

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

After midnight, and so forth. 

+10 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nothing good happens after 2:00 AM

+1 HS
Bucks1's picture

Waiting for her apology...(ray rice)

"I will pound you and pound you until you quit." - Woody Hayes

+6 HS
ponder10's picture

Touche... what could she have done to prevent that situation.

On a serious note though, I'm done defending Greg Oden. I tried to be supportive of him through the knee injuries and the "bust" tag that has been attached to him. Even after he went all Carlos Danger on the web... but you put your hands on a woman in a violent way and I'm out.

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Damn.

I understand there's details yet to come, in addition to the legal process, but damn.

+5 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Stephen A. Smith was not immediately available for comment. 

+11 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Because he doesn't want to deal with Beadle tweeting again. :/

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

There is no excuse for that, none.  Throw the book at him.

+10 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Not good. And somehow wearing that shirt makes it worse.

+8 HS
robobuck's picture

Photoshop

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

BassDropper's picture

that's not photoshop

DIRECTIONER

robobuck's picture

Oh, excuse me. haaaa!

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

BuckeyeinToledo's picture

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+7 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

It sucks when Buckeyes get arrested. It sucks more when they're wearing OSU gear in their mugshots (Oden, Sullinger)

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+7 HS
Oyster's picture

A Marion County Jail van drove Oden to the arrestee processing center.

I bet it wasn't a mini van!

+2 HS
Vberger's picture

He could have at least changed his shirt before the cops rolled in.  SMH!!

+2 HS
OH1O State's picture

Somehow, this is Urban Meyer's fault. 

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

+2 HS
buckguy10's picture

According to the police report, the punch happened as he was trying to break free from someone holding him back.

"Things got out of control and I started to go after the victim," police quoted Oden in the report. He said the relative and witness tried to hold him back, but he swung his arms trying to break free and punched the victim.

http://deadspin.com/greg-oden-charged-with-battery-after-allegedly-punch...

OSUStu's picture

Fuck and double fuck.

Edit:  Pardon my language.  This is upsetting news.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
Haubtimus Prime's picture

I have that shirt. 

+2 HS
mtrotb's picture

Marcus Hall is all smiles.

mtrotb

chicagobuckeye's picture

Still violence against a woman, at least he seems to be owning up to screwing up as opposed to Ray rice and waiting months to do so. At least he's claiming it as an accident, but when you're 7 feet tall and you swing your arms around you're going to do damage. Should have known better. 

+2 HS
BierStube's picture

GREG ODEN ARRESTED ON BATTERY CHARGES

Sadly when I read the title, I thought it had something to do with AAA or 9 volts.  Would never have suspected Greg to do something like this ... gotta think there is more to this story, yet it does not excuse his actions.

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+1 HS
RBuck's picture

Very surprising. I had the pleasure of meeting Oden and he seemed like a gentle giant with a good sense of humor.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

Whoa Nellie's picture

TITLE IX!  POLITICS!  OBAMABOTS! . . .

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+1 HS
OSU2002Grad's picture

Damn. Just... damn. That's a solid jail sentence in that report.

And he can kiss whatever he had left of his career good bye. Lost all of his good will in his community and in the Ohio State community. Not sure what becomes of him now but it ain't good.

Good on the friend, by the way, making sure the report was made and protecting the victim.

-1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Do they have a volleyball team in lockup?

+1 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

Oops, sorry.  Reading big walls of words has me believing every arrest, firing, etc. has the same cause.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

SilverState's picture

3:30AM, Ex-Girlfriend at your Mother's House...not a good combination.

BME_Buckeye's picture

"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever."

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.