College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

When the Big Ten and SEC Form There Own Division What Rules Should Be Put in Place?

0 HS
Badjuju's picture
February 20, 2024 at 10:13am
29 Comments

It is going to be inevitable; the 2 major conferences are going to break away and form their own division. The question is what kind of rules are there going to be as far as transferring, salary cap, and other various things.

Collective bargaining will be setup between the new league commissioner and a players union will be formed thus providing them with anti-trust protection

There will absolutely be a salary cap, NIL as it was created was meant to be endorsement deals, not a recruiting inducement. I think they will set a 20 million dollar salary cap per school.

Transfer portal will be done away with, the recruits will no longer sign just an NLI, they will also be signing like how the NFL does, with the 4th year being a team option. If the team does not pick up that option, that player will then become a free agent to sign for a final year with whatever team they want to go to.

Scholarships may be reduced or expanded. This could go either way, they may reduce it to 80 or up it to 90. There could be a case made for either of these options.

Relegation may also be implemented, similar to Soccer the bottom feeders go down to the lower division while the best teams from the lower division get called up and assigned to a conference, no more then 2 teams can be relegated or brought up before 3 years.

The playoff format will mirror how the NFL does it now, higher seed home games championship at neutral site. Wildcard games as well.

Addendum, some people think I meant a salary cap on NIL, that is not at all what I meant. When I said salary cap, I meant when revenue sharing goes into effect, a salary cap will be needed.

NIL are and were meant to be endorsement deals, like the NFL. That there should be no cap on how much a business wants to pay an athlete for NIL is fine. Apologies for the confusing language that made it sound like NIL should be capped.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 29 Comments