College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Mizzou's Gary Pinkel to Resign

0 HS
Andy Vance's picture
November 13, 2015 at 4:29pm
30 Comments

University of Missouri head football coach Gary Pinkel will resign due to health reasons, according to a release from the university athletic department:

From the release:

Pinkel's decision is health-based, as he was diagnosed in May of 2015 with lymphoma, a type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma cancer of the blood.  He received multiple treatments in May and June, and after doctors indicated that the treatments wouldn't interfere with his coaching duties, he decided that he would continue to coach the Tigers in 2015.

"I made the decision in May, after visiting with my family, that I wanted to keep coaching, as long as I felt good and had the energy I needed," Pinkel said.  "I felt great going into the season, but also knew that I would need to re-assess things at some point, and I set our bye week as the time when I would take stock of the future.  After we played Vanderbilt (Oct. 24), I had a scheduled PET scan on Oct. 26thfor reassessment, and then visited with my family and came to the decision on October 27th that this would be my last year coaching.  I still feel good physically, but I decided that I want to focus on enjoying my remaining years with my family and friends, and also have proper time to battle the disease and give full attention to that," he said.

The Akron native was the head coach of the University of Toledo Rockets from 1991 to 2000, winning a Mid-American Conference championship in 1995. He is the winningest coach at both Toledo and Mizzou, where he has coached since 2001. He has achieved an overall record of 190-108-3 as a head coach.

His Tigers are slated to play BYU this weekend after a week filled with "distractions" related to recent racial tensions on campus. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 30 Comments