College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Joe-bots/PSU still don't get it

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture
April 23, 2014 at 12:19pm
12 Comments
Whoa Nellie's picture

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+2 HS
otrain2416's picture

It really is amazing how much in denial PSU fans are with this situation. I'm in school in PSU country and I cannot have a serious conversation with them about the scandal that isn't laughable. Most of them honestly believe that Joe Pa did nothing wrong in that situation. I will admit Joe Pa did a lot of good at PSU that most people that aren't familiar with the area don't know about, but he messed up big time with that situation and it will forever tarnish his name. 

TheBadOwl's picture
  1. It's on private land and it's privately funded. Sure, they're idiots, but they have a right to be idiots and throw their money away on stupid shit. Similarly, I have a right to withdraw my life savings and buy like 300 One Direction CD's. Also, yeah, my life savings isn't all that impressive, I'm in college, shut up.
  2. JoePa hated the original statue when it was first built anyways. So, they're defying what he would have wanted anyways. The irony is delicious.
  3. The PSU fans on /r/cfb were all in agreement that these people are dumbasses. The Joe-bots are, fortunately, a small sliver of Penn State fans.
  4. Gotta feel for the rational PSU fans out there who will inevitably get shit from everyone over the actions of a few really, really stupid Penn State fans.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Squirrel Master's picture

1. You must have $300 based on my calculations, 300 One direction CD's in bargain bin for $1 each sounds about right!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+3 HS

oops, sorry ... 11W already put something up about this.

I do feel bad for the rational PSU fans. BUT, you gotta say, by now it's pretty clear: the majority of PSU fans are these delusional "Joe-bot" types. The rational PSU fans are a very slim minority.

You know the rational, sane ones are thinking "even if Joe was innocent in all of this...it's just too soon!" But, nope, the crazy Joe-bots are bypassing the university's wishes and going ahead with their selfish agenda waaaaay too soon with this statue idea in State College, but not on university grounds. Bad move. I really think if Joe Paterno were still alive, and just Joe Schmo --- there's a good chance he'd be in jail.

Man, these people just don't get it.

TheBadOwl's picture

They are absolutely not the majority. It's possible that it's split 60/40, with the 40 being Joe-bots, but it's more likely 80/20.

Here's the /r/cfb thread I was talking about. The majority of comments with PSU flair basically say that everyone's tired of the Joe-bots. Yeah, there are a few questioning the Freeh report.

We obviously hear more about the Joe-bots because, from a journalistic standpoint, it's a lot more newsworthy. Penn State fans who think JoePa got screwed are obviously more likely to keep bitching about it than the PSU fans who think JoePa was complicit and just want to move past the whole thing.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-1 HS

I don't know man. I disagree. I know some PSU people and I think they're Joe-bots. Check out the 24/7 message boards, 90% Joe-bots. That stupid ESPN poll a few weeks ago, 90% Joe-bots. Whatever it is...it's way too many people in that fanbase who are Joe-bots.

TheBadOwl's picture

Let's be serious here, all of the 24/7 boards are pretty terrible and embarrassing to their respective fan bases.

Most PSU fans definitely appreciate a lot of what JoePa did, but they're not the crazy JoeBots you're making them out to be. Most of them just want to move onto the Franklin era and get past that dark chapter in their history.

I agree that there are too many people in their fanbase who are Joe-bots, but only because I think what he did is indefensible and overwhelmingly worse than whatever good he may have done. But people in every fan base are prone to acting irrational when they feel like they're being attacked.

I highly doubt that the Joe-bots are the majority. I think the majority of the fans just don't want to completely dismiss the Paterno years, but at the same time they want to move on and understand why Penn State should distance itself from Paterno for at least another 5-10 years.

It's a somewhat rational middle ground between the Joebots and the Penn State fans who completely abandoned the program after the Sandusky scandal. But, as is always the case, the majority in the middle isn't heavily publicized because it's simply not as interesting as those with extreme views.

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

I won't make up percentages, however I will state that a group's voting patterns are far more representative of their make up than any message board.

That being said over the past two elections PSU alumni have voted in 'JoeBot' approved candidates (Lubrano, McCombie, Brown, Doran & Oldsey) as members of the Board of Trustees.

The sixth (and final) elected candidate over that time frame is Adam Taliaferro, who despite turning out to be somewhat moderate received a large amount of support because he was one of 'Joe's boys'.

I see no objective reason to give the PSU fan base the benefit of the doubt, based upon their own actions. Those actions still show a disturbingly large amount of Paterno Über Alles.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Crazies being led astray by other Crazies. 

THEOSUfan's picture

My understanding is that some persons not affiliated with the university are using private funds to erect a statue on private land.  I'm trying to get worked up about that, but it's hard.  If that's what you want to do with your own time, money, and land, then knock yourself out.

I peeked at a scUM site today.  They are having coniption fits that JT is going to be president at Akron U.  The hatred of the man is over the top.  The thinking of these mental midgets from up north seems to revolve around "He's a liar, that defines him, and he deserves to burn in hell, not be a president of a University."

I can't go there, even with Joe Paterno.  Taking in the known good and bad in the man, I think my outrage is better directed toward the actual sodomizers and molesters of children.  But that's just me.