Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Admitting That I'm Addicted to Eleven Warriors

+29 HS
SuaveOlave's picture
December 22, 2023 at 1:37pm
74 Comments

I accepted recently that I have an addiction to this site. I took a 6-day detox recently and was amazed by how much energy I had to do activities that I had lost a lot of interest in (e.g., playing the guitar). I feel like constantly coming on this site in an obsessive-compulsive, dopamine-seeking, desperate effort to hear good news about recruiting or the transfer portal is consuming a lot of my creative energy. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I was more productive at work and I felt better emotionally during my detox. Despite my concerns about the state of the program in certain areas (I know I get downvoted a lot), I love Ohio State football. Buckeye Nation is global, but I'm from Columbus and attended Ohio State for both undergrad and law school. I've been following the team since I was 11 and even tried out over two decades ago. But there are healthier ways to follow the team, even if it's just, for example, reading articles on the Internet. I obviously don't have anything against the players, and wish them health and happiness, but I can't believe it's gotten to the point where I'm living through 19-year-olds (I'm in my 40s). It's embarrassing. I wish the team well and will certainly keep watching the games (and maybe attending a few). But I have to find more productive and less self-destructive ways of being a fan. I need to go back to being a Buckeye. Ohio State football forums have turned me into a Bucknut.

I'll still come on here periodically because this website is a great source of information about Ohio State football. But you'll seldomly see me post a comment again, and I won't be lurking in the threads. I know that's going to make some of you happy; it is what it is. But look my ratio of upvotes to downvotes. After admittedly going a little haywire on the downvotes when I first joined this site, I've largely stopped downvoting. I meant to add to the discussion, even if others took my remarks differently.

Not to gloat or anything, but I still feel like I have the coolest username on this site. And yes, Suave rhymes with Olave.

Best wishes.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 74 Comments