Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Home Renovation- Adding a Garage, Etc. Worth It?

+14 HS
LoudBuckeyeGirl's picture
December 6, 2023 at 7:10pm
43 Comments

We are looking at adding a garage to our home. It would also provide space above the new garage to expand the main bathroom and closet. Right now the en-suite bath measures 5x6, so it’s tiny, but apparently not by 1978 standards.  We’ve lived with it since 1999.  I’ve had a garage on my Christmas list for more than a decade, but now that I’m not driving anywhere early I can wait for the snow to melt. (Retirement is great).  We aren’t looking to sell for about 20 years. At a minimum I’d want to remodel the tiny bathroom to remove the tub and replace it with a walk in shower.  And add heated floors.  This all assumes we can get the permits, and most likely the county would make us replace the septic system.  Welcome to Maryland.   What factors should I consider in deciding whether or not to spend a lot of money.  Septic alone estimate is 30K., although there may be some grant money available.  I appreciate your input…

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 43 Comments