Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2011 Sugar Bowl Through The Eyes of an Arkansan.

+8 HS
andydye84's picture
May 9, 2023 at 6:59pm
26 Comments

I am currently stationed in Little Rock, Arkansas, and have been, off and on, for the last 10 out of 17 years. Today I was at a meet and greet with some of the state's top officials. I had the opportunity to talk to the Governor for a few minutes.

She asked the typical questions: "What is your name, and where are you from?" When I stated I was from Ohio, she brought up that she was a big college football fan. She talked about the 2011 Sugar Bowl when the Buckeyes won a nail-biter over the Razorbacks. She talked about the final drive for the Razorbacks and how certain everyone was that Ryan Mallett was going to take the team down the field for a last-second score to win the game like he had multiple times that year. Solomon Thomas had other plans. Thomas dropped in coverage from where he was lined up as a DE. Thomas intercepted Mallett's pass with 0:58 in the 4th to seal a Buckeye 31-26 victory.  

She stated that game was what took the wind out of the sails of their program. Ultimately, a few months after that game, Bobby Petrino, one of the best coaches Arkansas has had, crashed his motorcycle with a female on the back of the bike that wasn't his spouse. That is something that isn't acceptable in the Bible Belt. The program hasn't been the same since.

I found it funny that many Arkansas fans haven't forgotten that game, and they blame OSU for their woes. Please keep any political views to yourself. I am simply telling a story of the events. A political party doesn't really matter here.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 26 Comments