Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Let's Talk Lawnmowers

+11 HS
readnguy's picture
April 12, 2023 at 3:45pm
74 Comments

Well, it is that time of year for trimming, edging, watering, fertilizing, and of course mowing! Personally, I kinda enjoy getting out on these warm, sunny days and working in my yard, so that's what prompted this thread. I live on a small 1/4 acre lot on a short street in a small town and I have always mowed my yard with a push mower...now I know that, in and of itself, is of little or no interest to most of you, but let me share a bit about my mower which I think is a bit remarkable. In the summer of 2006, I purchased an Eager One Craftsman 6.5 HP 22" mulching mower at our local Sears Catalogue Store (remember those) here in Washington Court House. Not one of those self-propelled models, cause they were too expensive and too slow. Anyway, I have used this mower every season now for 17 years and it has started first pull EVERY time I have used it (after five or six pumps to prime it) INCLUDING the first mow in spring. I have changed the oil four times, cleaned the air filter three times, sharpened the blade twice, replaced the front and rear wheels once, and believe this or not, I have never replaced the spark plug! (I've pulled it an cleaned it a few times, however) And to add insult to injury, in the fall, I usually forget to drain the gas out of the tank! Now, I know this borders on mower abuse and I am not recommending this sort of maintenance and upkeep but trust me, if this mower dies before I do, I will buy myself another Craftsman...albeit, a used one most likely. ;-)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 74 Comments