Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Sight & Sound’s 2022 Poll of the Best Films of All Time

+6 HS
JM's picture
December 1, 2022 at 7:43pm
25 Comments
Starting in 1952, and every ten years since, Sight & Sound Magazine polls critics from around the world to submit their list of the ten best films ever. It's one of the most prestigious lists of its kind (if such a thing can be prestigious). 
I first read about the poll in the pre-internet days of the early 1990's. I would buy the annual Roger Ebert "Movie Home Companion" book in my teen years and it was really the only way I could read Roger's print reviews. It also gave me insight into film study, etc. Roger's reference to the '92 poll in the 1993 edition of the book piqued my curiosity.
I tracked down a copy of the 1992 issue and it is a kind of 'film bible'. These lists are like a film school for a person on a budget. Anyway, starting with the 1992 poll, S&S also polled directors and created a separate list. One for the critics and one for the directors. As the subsequent polls have come (2002, 2012) it has become clear to me that the most intriguing lists are those by the directors. There have been some wild swings with the critics. 
2022 issue:

Top 20 from the critics:

The #1 in this year's critics list is... interesting... to be kind.

Here are the Top 10 films, for 2022, from the Director's:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Citizen Kane
3. The Godfather
4. Tokyo Story
4. Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
6. Vertigo
6. 78½
8. Mirror
9. Persona
9. In the Mood for Love
9. Close-Up

One thing I will say is that I'm pleased both critics and directors still recognize the importance of 'Kane' and 'Godfather'. I'm also really surprised and happy to see that one of the most contemporary films is "In the Mood for Love". I saw it at the Drexel Theatre in like 2001 and knew I had just witnessed an all-time great. It has slowly gained momentum and acknowledgement, which is pleasing.

If you are curious, here is my list. It is admittedly only five, but, as Martin Scorsese said in his 1992 ballot, "I can only give five because even just one more opens the floodgates to countless other films".

My list:

Dr. Strangelove (Kubrick, 1964)

Manhattan (Allen, 1979)

Psycho (Hitchcock, 1960)

Raging Bull (Scorsese, 1980)

Touch of Evil (Welles, 1958)

Not sure how many cinephiles there are here at 11W but I thought I would start the topic, regardless.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 25 Comments