Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Officially A Firefighter

+22 HS
WarBuck's picture
October 16, 2022 at 4:48pm
26 Comments

I always wanted to be a firefighter, but I chose to join the Marine Corps instead of going down that particular career path. Now at the ripe old age of 37 and after a few beers with a buddy who's a Captain, I said "Why the hell not!" Its a local VFD and they were really hurting for new members. Most of our rural VFDs are hurting for members here in Ohio. Alot of the younger generation arent coming out like they use too. I'm at a comfortable place in my life, good career, have a home and a family so I figured nows the time to do it if I'm ever going to do it. I urge young men and women who need purpose and want to give back to your community to go be a firefighter or EMS for your local department. Your community needs you. Everybody needs members. It's a very vital job especially in rural areas. Plus you get that sweet firefighter gear and get to ride around in the cool trucks. You get to participate in parades and work football games etc.. It's not a bad gig. The test isn't all that hard and the physical demand is not all that high to get your foot in the door. Since I joined the department it has really motivated me to get back into fighting shape. Down about 25lbs since July. I took my state exam today and passed it. Was really nervous about it but I got it done. Gonna have a few beers tonight in celebration!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 26 Comments