Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Hall Across The Country- Week 16

+22 HS
IamJoeHall's picture
September 3, 2022 at 10:43am
19 Comments

Posting this early, so I can get to the hotel that donated a room later and be fully invested in the game. It’s going to be the only game I’m guaranteed to see this year so I’m going to soak it all in. 

This week was rough on my gut. Not sure how or why it happened, but I struggled through some gastrointestinal distress.

Here we go!

Day 106- Short walk from Cozad, Nebraska to the Blue Heron Campground in Gothernburg. The campground donated a cabin and it was nice. No TV just some beds, an AC and a desk/chair. My stomach was still churning from whatever happened the day before, so I only did the 12 miles to test myself and see how I felt.

Day 107- 25 miles from the campground to Pawnee Slough just outside Maxwell, NE. Encountered a little bit of sand hill country which was a nice change from CORN CORN CORN. The Slough is a wildlife management area, but in NE they allow you to camp. I put the tent up in the parking lost where there was some grass, and since I was the only one there I had prime choice. Laid under the stars, for the first time in my life I saw a shooting star, and then a second one. I’ve been sleeping with just the sleeping bag liner because it’s been summer and too warm for a bag but tonight it got into the 50s. I grudgingly got up around 130/2 and got outta the tent and got the bag out of the stroller, and man did it feel like heaven!

Day 108- 13 miles from Pawnee Slough to North Platte, NE. A friend of mine from school donated a hotel room because at this point I still haven’t gotten over whatever stomach issue has been plaguing me. Thinking it’s food poisoning l prayed I’d get past it.

Day 109- Booked another day at the hotel to just rest and recover. I hate zero days. I’m running out of chances to take them because I’m hoping my finances will get me to San Fran. 

Day 110- 22 miles from North Platte to Sutherland. Got a late start (like always when I stay in a hotel lol). The North Platte Inn and Suites donated a $50 gift card to a one of the Nebraska convenience stores, and that was awesome! Visited the Golden Spike Tower, which gives views of the largest railyard on earth. This thing took up over 2,500 acres and you could see trains from horizon to horizon. It was awesome. 

Day 111- Covered 32 miles from Sutherland to Ogallala. Entered my third time zone, I’m now on Mountain time. I stopped in Paxton for lunch and a local citizen bought my lunch at a steakhouse, and then donated some cash to me. Didn’t expect that in a town of 641 people. We talked a little about 6 man football the small schools play out here, and I wanna catch a game. I heard it’s FUN. I started early but neglected to factor in that with the time zone change, that the sun sets an hour earlier, spent my last 3-4 miles walking via headlamp. Oops. Found a cool little 1950s roadside motel in town the Lazy K Motel. The owner was a super nice 81 year old man who’s survived cancer THREE TIMES. Came in, drank some Gatorade and zonked out.

Day 112- Walking about two miles to get to the AmericInn today, they donated a room to me. I’m going to take in every single second of this game. GO BUCKS!

Finally feeling recovered from the Midwest bubbleguts round 2. Let me tell you its RIDICULOUSLY difficult to find somewhere to relieve your pains when walking along a highway. I saw a video of the ramp entrance practice and despite all the good on this walk, I’d be lying if it didn’t hit me in the gut. I’ll have zero chance to catch a game live this season. Unless I become independently wealthy then maybe THE GAME or a B1G title appearance. Because at the end of the walk I’ll likely be broke. Ramp Entrance is one of my favorite parts of the Buckeye gameday experience. One of the first times I’ve felt selfish on the walk. Wishing I was home, working; and could catch some games. Oh well. 

Looking forward to tonight. Kind of brings me home in a way, or delivers a sense of normalcy for me that I haven’t had in months. 

Have a great day y’all and GO BUCKS!

-Joe

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments