Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

HALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY WEEK 13- A NEW STATE!

+28 HS
IamJoeHall's picture
August 13, 2022 at 9:24pm
42 Comments

Here we are again guys. About to pass out in a Super 8 in Blair, Nebraska. This week was a solid one. Two shorter days, a few long ones. Some really nice people. Western Iowa’s rolling farmland and terraced fields really reminded me of being “out west” in a way.  Crossed into Nebraska today, nearly ready for the back (lonely and dangerous) half of this trek.

And now for the breakdown:

Day 85-Today was 18 miles from Boone to Grand Junction, Iowa. I delayed my start to avoid rain, and it cost me. Normally I don’t mind rain,  but after I’ve started. If I start the day in rain, it throws my mental game way outta whack. So a late start and a pretty humid day kind of sucked. There was a fairly big climb to start which was unexpected for where I was (it’s friggin Iowa!). Ran into Zach, who was one of the pool party attendants the previous week along the road. He stopped and dropped off a sammich and some water. A little later I met Levi Naeve who has a podcast “In God We Trust”. We talked for a few and he wished me well. Another gentleman stopped and dropped off a couple waters and near the end a young lady Lily dropped off two PB+Js and waters. I finally got into Grand Junction and went into the park to camp out. Set up under the Lions Club picnic shelter, but it was still pretty hot out so all I did all night was sweat on myself. I ate the PB and Js for dinner with a couple bananas.

Day 86- I woke up from maybe an hour or so of sleep and felt terrible. A friend of mine and fellow former wrestler donated a hotel room for me so I set my goals on a short day. I went to Casey’s and grabbed some breakfast and re-watched some of Reacher on Prime. Once “The 30 Yard Line” and they donated lunch to me. Made the eight mile walk to Jefferson and just vegged out. Tried Breadeauxs Pizza for dinner and their Taco Pizza was one of the best I’ve had. The weather was amazing. If I’d slept I could’ve knocked out 20-25 and get decent I think.

Day 87-Knocked out 27 miles from Grand Junction to Carroll. Another gorgeous day, and relatively flat. I decided to try and be strict about stopping at 2/2.5 hour intervals and eating calorie dense food to keep my energy levels up. (Not) shockingly…it worked. I didn’t leave the hotel about 2.5 hours later than I prefer to and it caused me to get to Carroll late. Sarah Storts from the Carroll Paper did an interview with me at Bloomers Bar and Grill https://www.carrollspaper.com/news/over-3-000-miles-for-mental-health/ar...

Then I finished my last mile and a half to one of the city parks I was approved to camp in. I also met Jamie Beechum who’s an Australian (I think by the accent could be wrong) who’s bicycling from the easternmost point of Canada to the western most but detoured into the states for a while.

Day 88- Another 27 miles from Carroll to Denison. Another low humidity day which makes things SO much better. My buddy Mike who helps run the “Craft Brewed Sports” podcast (and did the first interview with me about this whole project, it’s on YouTube if you get bored) reached out to a motel who donated a room for the night. Crossed the Missouri/Mississippi River divide which was pretty neat. Today my toenail from the infected toe 11 weeks ago finally fell off. I have no toenail on my left pinky toe now. 

Day 89- Shorter, warmer day. I spent too much time in the hotel relishing relaxation and left around 11. It was a hot walk and I went the wrong way for about 1/3 of a mile before I caught myself. I had contacted the City Council of Dunlap and they gave me permission to sleep in the park. I didn’t get any decent sleep because it was still warm at night. Maybe 2-3 hours. 

Day 90- 27 miles from Dunlap to Missouri Valley. I tried to outsmart myself. Rather than sticking to two hours for breaks and food I pushed it to 3 hours today. Also because there were towns at every 9 miles (roughly three hours of walking) and I could grab supplies at these places. I met an older couple, Densel and Deb who talked with me for a while, she gave me a diet Pepsi (even after I told her I don’t do caffeine) and they bought my brunch at Casey’s. Nine miles later I made it to Logan. I went to their grocery store and grabbed a couple lunchables and some 7-ups for cheap calories. Also let the Logan-Magnolia cross country team and their coach Kelli. A few of the people had seen me leaving Dunlap. We talked about my mission, miles and what I have left for the day. A few miles outside of Dunlap there was an auto accident. An older woman apparently looked over at me walking and rear ended a high school girl waiting to turn. The woman legitimately blamed me for her hitting the girl. I stayed and checked on everyone then directed traffic. Once the police got there it was just one officer so I kept traffic moving while he did paperwork. Later a second officer arrived and we took positions down the road and directed traffic together. It ended up costing me about 1.5 to 2 hours of time. So when I finally got to Missouri Valley it was dark. I grabbed some pizza slices from Casey’s and some gatorades and put my tent up at the city campground in the dark. Another minimal sleep night.

Day 91- Only did 12 miles today to make it out Blair, Nebraska. The post office had my next two pairs of shoes there waiting after I’d shipped them there. The postmaster still let me grab them after they were closed which was clutch. Got a hotel for tonight and going to try to get some legit sleep, wake up early, do laundry, then hit the road early.

Getting out west now things will become increasingly difficult. Further in between cities, less resupply and the unknowns out west. Im not sure if I’ll need some new gear for some of the Utah and Nevada elevation and potential temperature changes. But I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure I’m somewhere to watch games on Saturdays. Does anyone have logins a guy could borrow? We cut the cord after I left. 

Thanks for following along guys. Cheers to you all! 

GO BUCKS!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 42 Comments