Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Hall Across The Country-Week 11

+17 HS
IamJoeHall's picture
July 30, 2022 at 10:52pm
14 Comments

Back again ladies and germs with another installment of “how many different ways can a fat man walk west” starring yours truly, Joe Hall. Overall a good week, crossed into my next state Iowa, and got to visit some really cool sites. 

And here. We. Go.

Day 71-Not much to write about. Weather was beautiful. Travelled the Hennepin Canal trail for a good portion of the day which was pretty fun to walk on. Notched my largest mileage day of the campaign at 28 miles upon my arrival in Davenport, Iowa. Shacked up for a couple nights at an AirBnB with a pretty cool dude named Christian. He had two puppers and two cats so I was happy because big man loves aminals.

Day 72- Took a zero day because while in Iowa, all wrestlers are required to do one thing, and that is visit the Dan Gable Hall of Fame and Wrestling Museum. When I got there I was greeted by Jim Miller, former head coach (and TEN TIME NCAA CHAMPION) at Wartburg University. We talked about what I was doing and the museum did an interview with me, and posted it on their Facebook page. Talk about a freaking honor! Jim also gave me a copy of his book “Do it Anyway” and signed it as well. After this I headed next door to Single Speed Brewery, because the only way to finish up visiting the museum is to have the beer they named after the man. It wasn’t too bad at all. Later this night the AirBnB host and I grabbed some dinner and we swapped stories from the road (he thru hiked the Appalachian Trail years ago).

Day 73- Another big mileage day from Davenport to Wheatland, Iowa. Got my first introduction to Iowas gravel roads. Im assuming it’s how the state/counties save money but pushing an 80-100lb stroller on them BLOWS lol. I managed to crawl into Wheatland as darkness hit, grabbed dinner at the only restaurant in town, “Desperados” and then throw up camp in the park under a picnic shelter. Around 4am I awakened to scratching on the ground outside the tent then felt something rub my hand through the tent whilst sniffing. Too dark to identify so I naturally made noises to frighten whatever it was away. In the dark I made out shapes climbing trees rapidly and one only climbed a support post of the shelter and continued to hiss and growl at me till sunlight appeared. Well played animal. Well played.

Day 74- Knocked out 23 miles on an absolutely gorgeous day again, and went from Wheatland to Mechanicsville. The towns public works guy gave me permission to camp in the park and I went under the gazebo (which proved a good call since it randomly started pouring around 1). If I don’t see rain and I’m camping I don’t put the rainfly on to give me some airflow. So score one in the “luck” column for me. 

Day 75- Day 75 was another day where “good” just happened. A few miles into the walk I got a call from a Cedar Rapids phone number, I answered. It was KGAN wanting to do an interview with me. I told the gentleman to meet me in Mt Vernon and we could talk there while I took my break and grabbed lunch. Before talking to him I was having wheel issues (yes again). I’m guessing these strollers aren’t made for what I’m doing and the amount of up and down off shoulders, curbs etc because the wheel loosens from time to time. I’d lost my vise grips though so there wasn’t any way to tighten it. I just said I’d find a hardware store in Lisbon or Mt Vernon and tighten it up. Not five hundred feet after talking to the journalist I walked and found a pair of partially rusted but functional vise grips on the ground. Got the wheel tightened. Got into Mt Vernon and dropped two pairs of worn out shoes in the mail to send home, (I’m going to try to make a display case for all the shoes when done). I sat with the journalist and talked for 45 minutes or so. Afterwards the journalist texted me and opened up about his mental health struggles and how he was so thankful his first interview was with me, and asked if I needed anything. I ate lunch at a BBQ place in town and talked wrestling for an extra 45 minutes with the owner, after a recovering addict who was on his lunch break bought my lunch for what I’m doing. Mt Vernon was a cool place and I decided to call it a day and put up camp in town. Paul Fugate a member of the community got ahold of me through the walks Facebook page and got me squared away at the community center to camp and shower. It was only an 8/8.5 mile day, but it just felt good to stop there. Paul also talked to me about the Lincoln Highway, and I think I’ll be following that the majority of the remainder of the trip. 

Day 76- HES GOT A BABY IN THAR!

Today I covered 19 total miles. Going from Mt. Vernon to the southern end of Cedar Rapids. About halfway into it a sheriff pulled up and told me how someone had called in and said I had a baby in the stroller walking on the side of the road. It wasn’t illegal for pedestrians to be on the road, nor is it illegal to have a baby, but the stroller was closed up so someone was concerned. I opened the stroller up so officer Schefers of Linn County could see it and he said no problem. “It’s Iowa, people do that” I told him it was no big deal. I continued on another 3-4 miles or so when the journalist texted me and told me when the story would run, so I took a 30 minute break to watch it (https://cbs2iowa.com/news/local/man-walking-across-the-country-for-charity-passes-through-eastern-iowa

Then I proceeded to the Hotel at Kirkland Commons, a 4 star hotel, and the best one in town. They messaged me on the walk page and offered a free night (which turned into two when I asked if they could so I could make a visit Saturday). The nicest hotel I’ve been in, and probably ever will be. I fed my Panda Express addiction for dinner.

Day 77- Finished week 11 with my last zero day. I made the hour long drive to Dyersville, to see the “Field of Dreams” movie site. Even got lucky enough for it to be a day when they had ghost players come from the corn and play around a little. Bought a shirt from the store that said “Go the Distance” which is incredibly apropos for the walk. Probably won’t wear it much but im keeping it with me regardless.

It was a good week overall, next week is going to be rough. A heat wave is coming Monday and by Wednesday the high is 98, so with heat index I’d guess it’ll hit or top 110. So this week will be about trying to be smart….for once.

As I said I’m going to try to follow the Lincoln Highway here on out as it goes all the way to San Francisco and it appears to keep towns within “doable” distances. Just gotta manage the heat, everything else seems to be okay.

Sadly (and I guess also luckily?) we didn’t even come close to the July fundraising goal so there will be no waxing of chest hair unless like 8-9 grand gets dumped in tonight or tomorrow. But the people I’ve met, the messages I get, even if I don’t get the fundraiser to 50k they’ll get there next year, and maybe my purpose on this thing is to reach people. I’ve been spending more and more time trying to ponder how to make this into a legitimate non-profit afterwards, and continue this mission. 

Time for sleepies and a 24 mile walk tomorrow yall. Thank you for all the kind words and for those of you that follow the various social medias.

GO BUCKS!

-Joe

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments