Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Get Your PSA Checked

+43 HS
BuckIDave's picture
July 14, 2022 at 12:42pm
38 Comments

I am creating this thread to encourage men, starting in their mid 40's to get their PSA checked yearly. PSA stands for prostatic specific antigen, which is produced by the prostate gland and can be a fairly accurate indication as to the presence of prostate cancer. Any reading over 4.0 should raise concern.

I currently have prostate cancer, and fortunately I was very vigilant about getting my PSA checked every year. Last year, it was 3.0. This year, in May it rose to 8.5 and was checked again in a month, and it was slightly higher at 8.8. My urologist gave me a biopsy and 3 of 12 samples came back cancer. My Gleason score is 7, which indicates a medium grade tumor that might spread over time.

I have had good reports on the CT scan and bone scan, which indicate no spreading of the cancer outside my prostate. I am electing to get my prostate surgically removed sometime in August.

If I had been neglectful about getting my PSA tested, I could be in a much worse situation than I am currently. 

It's a simple blood test that can tell the tale of your PSA level. It could save your life one day. Most prostate cancers grow slowly, but they have to be taken seriously. 34,000 men will die this year due to prostate cancer.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 38 Comments