Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Cross Country Trudge Week Trois

+27 HS
IamJoeHall's picture
June 5, 2022 at 6:18am
48 Comments

Just finished week three last night. 

Day 15, covered 16 miles from Littlestown, PA to Gettysburg KOA. Stopped to see some sights in Gettysburg as it’s my first time through and man it’s pretty sobering. It was 10 miles to town then 6 to the KOA campground that comped my stay and the owner and one of the employees made sure I was set for food for a couple days. Showering felt WONDERFUL. That was one thing that seems to bother me the most is the relative filth i kinda of have to live in. Baby wipe showers it is most days. Lol.

Day 16, was a small 12 mile walk to Blue Ridge Summit, PA where the fire department allowed me to set up camp out back. I followed googles directions for shortest time and it had me climbing a few ridiculous hills I wasn’t ready for before I limped into town. Had dinner at a real cool diner in Blue Ridge Summit, “Mike’s Mountain Shadow Diner”. One of the best burgers I’ve eaten, breakfast was great and portions compared to prices were phenomenal.

Day 17 was 17.5 miles from Blue Ridge Summit to Green Castle, PA.  So much rolling farmland out here it made me feel at home lol. We had trouble finding a spot to camp but my logistics guy got ahold of an RV lot whose owner had an unoccupied farm house and land he said I could put my tent up at. He also bought me dinner which is a bonus!

Day 18 was 16.5 miles from Greencastle, PA to Clear Spring, MD. This was the last day of no serious elevation gain and loss which signifies that Appalachia is about to begin. Stopped and got ice cream at “Sweetsies eats and treats” as it was a HOT day ( the last three had been about 90-95). The employees were super nice, gave me a couple bottles of ice cold water. Today my mood was brightened a bit because I saw the sign for “40 West” and although I know it’s still probably a week and a half or two away….Ohios a comin!

Day 19 was a zero day in the hotel as storms were expected all day.

Day 20 was 15 miles from Clear Spring to (Herbie) Hancock, MD. Spent about half this trip on the Western Maryland Rail Trail. After climbing 600 feet or so in the first 4 miles ending the day on a flat paved trail was awesome. They have a primitive park in Hancock where the police allowed me to camp. 

Day 21 was 14.5 miles from Hancock to the Town Hill Overlook in I think Little Orleans , MD (unsure what town it is exactly). Appalachia has begun. I climbed about 1,000 feet in my first 7-8 miles to the top of Sideling Hill, descended into a valley and climbed up to Town Hill at 1680 feet. Set up camp across from a B+B at the top of the hill. Currently enjoying breakfast and sunrise before I head to Cumberland today. A lot less elevation gain today, most of this is downhill, but tomorrow is about 2,000 all gain to get into Frostburg. So tomorrow will likely be a shorter day again. 

One thing I’ve noticed is after talking to so many people, you don’t truly realize how many people are affected by mental health, and suicide. We have so many people suffering and not enough people to treat it out there. If you’re struggling reach out, there’s someone out there who will listen. And in my experience it can alleviate some of the struggle to simply get off your chest what’s going on in your head. 

Much Love Buckeye Nation, it’s time to go kick some mountains in the ass and charge for Bridgeport!

-Joe

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 48 Comments