Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Considering Career Change to Nursing, PA, Etc.

+10 HS
Laxbro's picture
July 8, 2021 at 6:21pm
65 Comments

A bit of my background: BS Chemistry from OSU in 2008. Was pre-med for a bit and even took the MCAT in 2007. Decided to change majors and went straight to grad. school in chemical engineering and got a PhD in 2013. Worked in R&D and eventually technical sales but haven’t been passionate about anything I've done basically dating back to the start of grad. school. My switch from chemistry to engineering was motivated by a desire to help people solve problems. I wanted to go  from theory to applications. I didn't find that in the typical PhD career track which is why I eventually got into sales. Turns out sales is not for me either.

I've learned a lot about myself over the past 2 years and realized my career (especially in sales) conflicts with my passions and values. Some refer to it as your "why”. I want to help people and to be a part of a team working towards a common goal. When my kids were born what became really appealing to me was the profession of nursing. While in the hospital they waited on us hand and foot and I realized they do the brunt of the work and seem to get way less gratification for it (and less pay!). It seems like a very selfless job and I haven’t stopped thinking about it since we were in the hospital last year. A recent trip for me to the ER all day had me even more enamored by the job of a nurse. I realized my "why" is to be in selfless service to others.

At this point in my life (I’m 35 w/two young kids) med. School is effectively not an option anymore, and one that I’m perfectly okay with. But I’m strongly considering nursing, nurse practitioner, physicians assistant, etc.

So, getting back to the reason for my post, any nurses or physicians assistants, or other similar medical professionals in here that could comment on their experiences, pros and cons, etc?

Anyone get into the medical field as a second career?

Any wisdom/comments are much appreciated. Thanks!!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 65 Comments