Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Hussites Defenestrations to Woody Hayes

+2 HS
NewPhilaFan's picture
April 22, 2017 at 5:55pm
4 Comments

I read with interest the WMD in yesterday's Skully regarding the defenestrations committed by the Czech Hussites.  I had learned about these during a tour of Prague a number of years ago and our tour guide even mentioned the victims being saved by landing in a pile of manure.

What isn't mentioned is the link between the Hussites and Woody Hayes as well as Eldon Miller, former Buckeye BBall coach.  The Hussites eventually became known as the Moravians, the first protestant denomination founded in 1450.  They traveled to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania and eventually sent missionaries to what is today Tuscarawas County Ohio.

Settlements were founded in Schoenbrunn, Gnadenhutten, and Salem.  They were serving the Delaware tribe which had its largest village at Gekelmukpechunk whose chief was Netawatwes.  Netawatwes is translated as Newcomer and Gekelmukpechunk today is know as Newcomerstown, hometown of Woody Hayes and Cy Young.

The Christian settlement at Salem was the closest to Newcomerstown and today is called Port Washington in the township of Salem.  The settlement at Gnadenhutten is still called that today and is the hometown of Eldon Miller and also where Bob Huggins first achieved basketball fame.

The settlement at Schoenbrunn is within the city limits of New Philadelphia.  I happen to live in New Philly as we call it.  It is also the place where Woody Hayes had his first head coaching gig.    A couple of players for the New Philadelphia Quakers achieved fame at OSU.  Dave Leggett was QB of the undefeated National Championship team in 1954.  More recently Cie Grant was seen flinging Ken Dorsey around like his personal rag doll in 2002.  The center for the 1957 National Championship team who beat Oregon on the Rose Bowl also played for the Quakers.

Schoenbrunn is adjacent to Harry Clever Field named for the man who taught the late, great John Glenn how to fly at that airport.  There is a campaign underway to erect a statue to John Glenn at the airport.

As a result of the Gnadenhutten Massacre in 1782 during the Revolutionary War, the Continental Congress granted land to the Moravians which was the reason that all Moravian Churches in Ohio were located in Tuscarawas County until 1985.  My wife and I were charter members of the first church outside the county when we lived in Columbus and a church was founded in Dublin.

If you wish to learn more about some of these events, you will find more information in Wikipedia but I won't go any farther as I don't want to risk wandering into religious territory.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 4 Comments