Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Where can I buy a gas can?

+4 HS
TShell's picture
April 22, 2017 at 11:44am
20 Comments

11W commentariat, I need some help. I need a new gas can. Or, more accurately, I need a gas can that actually functions well. One that dispenses gas into a lawn mower gas tank, not one that disperses gas everywhere BUT the gas tank.

When I was younger, I mowed lawns in the summers for some spending cash. And I mowed our lawn at my parents' house for much longer than that. Never had any issues with spills or leaks, other than the occasional little drop here or there, or an accidental tiny splash if I sat the can down too hard. Ever since I've moved out on my own, I've never been able to find just a plain old, regular, featureless gas can. I've got a couple cans now, but they are of the so-called "spill-proof" or "leak-proof" variety. If you ask me, they are more accurately called gas spreaders. These cans have been so over-engineered they cause problems they were intended to fix, but that "problem" wasn't even a problem in the first place.

The nozzles I have require two hands to pour, with one right down near the opening, guaranteeing that you will have gas on your hand after using it. I have one that you have to pull back a little switch/lever thingy while pushing down a button with your thumb to allow the gas to flow. Let off that button and it stops. That, in and of itself, is not the entire problem. The spout is only an inch, maybe an inch and a half long, so you can't get it maneuvered well enough to avoid it coming out of the tank opening. The other one is a flimsy plastic spout with a plastic thing on the underside that you are supposed to rest on the edge of the tank. You have to squeeze that to release the lock, then push the can toward the tank to push that plastic part up into the spout to allow it to flow. It is too flexible and always bends out of position, letting gas leak out around the gasket between the spout and the can. And did I mention that neither one has a vent hole? So you have to stand there longer while gas is leaking everywhere, because it is just a dribble coming out of the end it is supposed to.

I never had any issues with the old, regular cans with a standard spout. No bells or whistles. Vented for good flow. No spills.

The new ones are horrible. Spills. Every. Single. Time.

Anyone got a place that has older style cans for sale?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments