Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

"Hot Rod" Hundley - #1 NBA Draft Pick - Hall of Fame Broadcaster - (10/26/34 – 3/27/15)

0 HS
Buckeye Jack's picture
March 30, 2015 at 5:01am
13 Comments
"Hot Rod" Hundley

Rod "Hot Rod " Hundley passed away last Friday. He was 80 years old. He was the #1 pick in the 1957 NBA draft, and was admitted into the NBA Hall of Fame as a broadcaster.

I was privileged to know him in the 1980's. There was a standing lunchtime pickup basketball game at a downtown gym in Salt Lake. Hot Rod frequently played there. Point guard. He rarely shot (out of pity for the rest of us, I'm sure). I remember his miraculous passing skills.

Just about every time I got open near the hoop, he'd hit me... nothing but hands and knees and feet and elbows between me and Rod 20 feet away. He'd look away, and then, like magic, he'd fling that ball through that mess and hit me perfectly. Every time. No idea how he did it. I don't remember any defender ever getting a hand on the ball.

He told the story about joining the Philadelphia Warriors straight out of high school. (He really was that good) The West Virginia boosters went up to Philly to convince him to honor his commitment to WVU. Hot Rod said, "When the boosters laid out all the perks and benefits, I realized I couldn't afford to take the cut in pay, so I went back and played at West Virginia."

Another quick story - He was separated from his wife, but they remained friends for decades. When she learned he was writing a book, she said, "Well, if all his girlfriends buy it, he'll be a millionaire." 

Hot Rod was a man's man. Great guy. He'll be missed.

Excellent in-depth piece on Hot Rod written about ten years ago:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/510052260/Hot-Rod-The-man-behind-the-...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments