Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Serious beer question

GoBuckeyes1020's picture
August 28, 2014 at 1:35pm
80 Comments

I realize that all beer related questions are serious but this one is a little more serious than others. I just purchased a set of 11W pint beer glasses. All I can think about since confirming the purchase (other than how much I can't wait for Saturday to get here) is what beer should be chosen to grace the marvellous glassware for the very first time. I can't think of a better group of people than the 11W fanbase to give me advice.

SOF_Buckeye's picture

90 minute Dogfish Head IPA

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

+3 HS
OSUStu's picture

Hell, go 120 Minute.  21% ABV.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

Curious: Where can one purchase the 120?

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

HilltopHustle's picture

Virginia or the brewery.

cinserious's picture

damn!

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

HilltopHustle's picture

A 12 oz. bottle runs me usually $12 per, but that juice is special and delicious.

OSUStu's picture

Here is a good way to find out who has it and when:

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/fish-finder.htm

I don't believe it is distributed in Ohio at all.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

This doesn't help you at all but it is nice for me; it will be at The Blind Pig bar in Champaign, IL Sept. 4 as part of their Dogfish Head tap takeover that weekend.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

SOF_Buckeye's picture

Absolutely on the 120; it's just pretty difficult to find.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

I can't think of a better group of people than the 11W fanbase to give me advice.

We're just a bunch of alcoholics that say we're watching football.

"I went to a beer drinking contest and a football game broke out" 

EDIT: I mean this in the most loving way!

UFM_Renewal

+5 HS
BED's picture

If you're in Columbus, get yourself a growler of something local.  I personally would recommend Seventh Son Stone Fort Oat Brown Ale or Elevator Heiferweizen.

The Ohio State University, College of Arts & Sciences, Class of 2006
The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, Class of 2009

jeremytwoface's picture

Elevator Heiferweizen.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

cinserious's picture

Did someone say Heiferweizen?

cow

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Delicious !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bluke221's picture

I'm guessing the bottom tap is a milk stout.

"Statistics are like bikinis....they reveal a lot but not everything" -- Lou Pinella

+5 HS
InTressITrust's picture

Not the correct glass but La Trappe Dubbel is my favorite beer.  It is a Trappist beer.  

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+1 HS
DCNick's picture

Great beer but it feels odd to go with a foreign beer when watching a football game. I prefer Ommegang for my Belgian fix.

DCNick's picture

If you are going to christen these glasses this weekend then I would recommend Heavy Seas Loose Cannon. It's an IPA that packs a punch and I think has some hints of fruit. The beer score is 90 and it's 7.3% abv. The brewery is headquartered in Baltimore and obviously has a nautical theme so I think it makes sense for the Navy game.

ttocs14's picture

I am starting a tradition this year of drinking a beer from the state of OSU's opponent, so thanks for the recommendation.  As a hop head, I'm hoping I can wait until tomorrow to start drinking them.

jralvarez's picture

Seeing Double... or Double vision... hell, I can't remember..  Great IPA, same with Racer420, or Stone IPA, and certainly a fav of mine Sweet Water out of ATL...

Buckeyejohnny

+1 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

If you can find it... Elevator Bleeding Buckeye Red Ale 

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

This was going to be my recommendation as well. If you're in Columbus, Giant Eagle has it. 

+1 HS
Maestro's picture

Schlitz

vacuuming sucks

+5 HS
apack614's picture

A nice cold Pabst Blue Ribbon should do the trick, doesn't get any more 'Merican than that!

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

Burger King agrees!

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

sharks's picture

Its a pint glass. Any answer besides a perfectly poured Guinness is objectively wrong.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+1 HS

I completely disagree.  1.  You should pour a Guinness into a stout glass.  2.  There are much better stouts than Guinness, including but not limited to Left Hand Milk Stout and North Coast Old Rasputin.

Besides, I don't know where the OP is from, but a nice lager or amber should do the trick such as Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold/ Elliot Ness or MadTree Happy Amber, or in my case a Two Brothers Domain Dupage.  Drink Local

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

Furious George 27's picture

Fun fact: Pint glasses also hold liquor!

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+3 HS
braneli's picture

A good Belgian. :-)

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

lwitters's picture

Bell's Expedition Stout.  It's quite expensive but worth it once in a while for special occasions.

Bugsyk's picture

1) Drive to Fishinger and Riverside

2) park, then walk into the Daily Growler

3) purchase (minimum 1) growler of Columbus Bodhi DIPA

4) christen away

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Took the words right out of my mouth. CBC's Bodhi is the goddamn truth—one of my all-time favourite Imperial IPAs. 

Its also the highest-ranked Ohio beer in BeerAdvocate's top 250, clocking in at #71. 

OSUStu's picture

Hodge, where did you see the BeerAdvocate Ohio rankings?  I am going to have to get my hands on some Bodhi apparently.  I haven't had anything yet from Ohio that is on the level of Thirsty Dog's Siberian Night Imperial Stout.

OSUStu's picture

Anyone know of any places in Columbus that will fill any growler that you bring in?  I know Daily Growler will only fill their own.

hodge's picture

I think Studio 35 will. They used to, anyways. 

OSUStu's picture

Thanks.  I already have 3 growlers in the house.  I don't need to keep another around.

CALPOPPY's picture

North High should fill any growler you bring in.

Savor Growl has also filled any growler I've brought in and even cleaned one out for me. They're on Indianola in Clintonville.

EDIT: found this link (from last year) on growler filling...including which ones only fill their own (like Barley's)

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

CALPOPPY's picture

Trick answer...they don't have CBC Bohdi DIPA right now...or at least didn't last Sunday when I went to the Daily Growler to get a growler of CBC Bohdi DIPA. I was so disappointed as I didn't have time to drive downtown as I was leaving town to drive back to Chicago.

But if they have it again, then awesome!

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

OSUStu's picture

Their website says they have it.  http://www.thedailygrowler.com/beers/

+1 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

I must have caught the bad day. When I was home in June I filled a growler of Bohdi there so was excited to get some to take back to Chicago...then disappointed as it was not one of the 60 on the board. I read through like 20 times thinking I missed it.

But to the original point, I think Bohdi is an excellent choice for first beer in the pint glasses.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

BUCKtuckian's picture

http://www.beermenus.com/beers/columbus-bodhi-dipa

I always use Beermenus when visiting Cbus

People are saying that I'm an alcoholic, and that's not true, because I only drink when I work, and I'm a workaholic.
Ron White

RBuck's picture

Buckeye Beer, of course.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

redcans's picture

Alesmith Speedway Stout.

DRAKE008's picture

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold

+1 HS
OSU725's picture

Something brewed in the great state of Ohio at the very least. Where do you live??? That would be helpful for beer suggestions.

+1 HS
GoBuckeyes1020's picture

Just east of Cincinnati. The recent craft beer surge has taken hold in our area with Lesser Path, Rhinegeist, 50West, Rivertown and others. I am not so familiar with the choices in Columbus but I am getting some pretty damn good advice on here......it is appreciated.

The pain of discipline or the pain of regret, take your pick

hodge's picture

Rhinegeist Truth is a phenomenal IPA. It and Jackie O's Mystic Mama are my two go-to in-state IPAs. 

+1 HS
blazers34's picture

I like rhinegeist, but I think Madtree Psychopothy is way better. Also love Punch you in the IPA by 50 west and mt. Carmel's new imperial IPA

Mt. Carmel's IPA (haven't tried the imperial) is phenomenal.  

+1 HS
GreatLakesBeer's picture

You seem like a real hop head Hodge. I was wondering if you have drank Great Lakes IPA's and what you thought about them. I say the burning river and commador perry are ok but really love the chillwave and lake erie monster.

If you will it dude, it is no dream

hodge's picture

Love their Commodore Perry, Burning River, and Lake Erie Monster. Have yet to try the Chillwave, but the Mosaic hops have me really interested. My personal favorite, though, is the Rye of the Tiger—the juicy grapefruit hop flavor explodes onto the palate, very reminiscent of the Centennial IPAs of Michigan. 

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

@ Hodge: 

If you like grapefruity hop flavor, I strongly suggest you try Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer Co. out in Colorado. The Amarillo hops pack that grapefruit-like citrus taste. I've yet to try the Mojo Risin' Double IPA though.

n

+1 HS
GreatLakesBeer's picture

Thanks for the info. I thought I had a pretty good grasp on craft beer but people are naming so many beers I've not had.

+1 HS
redcans's picture

Not Hodge, but Chillwave (formerly Alchemy Hour) is excellent in my opinion.

+2 HS
OSU725's picture

If you are ever in the Dayton area I suggest hitting up Belmont Party Supply. It is off US 35 in between I-75 and I-675. Hands down the best beer selection I have ever seen. 

Edit to add link

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3769/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Belmont-Party-Supply/123054701084193

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Seconded. That place is my jam—it's really one of the only good things about Dayton. 

+1 HS
Bluke221's picture

I stopped by Belmont for the first time last week after picking up my brewing kit and ingredients from Brewtensils right next door. That place is like heaven on earth.

"Statistics are like bikinis....they reveal a lot but not everything" -- Lou Pinella

GreatLakesBeer's picture

Great Lakes Eliot Ness  

GoBuckeyes1020's picture

I knew I came to the right place. Plan on swinging by Jungle Jims tomorrow and filling the cart! Keep 'em coming......

+1 HS

If the Eastgate Jungle Jim's, first beer aisle, plenty of great Cincinnati/ Ohio beers with one end just for canned beer from the likes of MadTree, Rhinegeist, Jackie O's, River Town, and West Sixth (Lexington).

OSU725's picture

Keeping the Ohio theme if you are into porters Great Lakes makes hands down one the best porters in the country Edmund Fitzerald.

+3 HS
Frimmel's picture

Totally agree on it being the best but probably not the best choice for the likely weather unless you're doing some sort of sweet saucy barbeque.

BuckAlum35's picture

Mix Breckenridge Vanilla Porter and Kentucky Bourban Barrel Stout equally into it....its phenomenal.

Seattle Linga's picture

I believe this 99 beer pack literally just got released this week. It's "Anytime Beer" from Austin Texas. Tell me that the University of Texas students just got a lot drunker. 

niblick's picture

Whatever you choose is ok as long as it doesn't end with the word "light".  If it does, punch yourself in the face and give the glasses to someone that deserves them.

Leonarjl's picture

Four String Brewery on W. 6th....great local beers! Their Brass knuckle ale is awesome....and you're supporting a fellow Buckeye!

JL

NObuck-I-inTEAM's picture

I'm out in St. Louis and noticed Schlafly has released their Pumpkin Ale.  Perfect way to prepare yourself for the fall and the beginning of football season!

AngryWoody's picture

You should mix it up and do an Angry Orchard hard cider. It's the bomb and based out of Cincinnati.

Our Honor Defend!

Young_Turk's picture

I'll take a sixer of Old Milwaukee or Lone Star, nothing snooty.

I'd appreciate a little hustle up on that.

Bluke221's picture

Here's a good thread with a lot of great options/advice on craft beers.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/anything-else/2014/08/38625/craft-beer-thread

GoBuckeyes1020's picture

Did not see this and appreciate the link. So many beers, so little time! I can't imagine drinking anything other than craft brews now.....variety and taste, local guys competing against the big boys, and an excuse to check in on the UNTAPPD app. Go Buckeyes!

Bags5150's picture

I believe that my favorite beer is my next beer...

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth~Mike Tyson

+1 HS
shaggybuckeye's picture

My 3 favorite beers are

1. A cold beer
  2. A free beer
  3. My next beer

Maybe I need to be a bit more picky? 

+2 HS
Katzfan's picture

Whatever it is, make sure u have something poured into them thats on nitrous or maybe a good Boddington's that has the widget in the can. NOTHING beats the way a beer looks and tastes after being poured as I have just described! Delish!!

cinserious's picture

Certain things can be counted upon in these parts: craft beer threads, Scotch threads, and Cincinnati recruiting vs Ohio recruiting.

gobucks96's picture

If you like IPA's, I would humbly suggest Victory "Hop Devil" IPA 

Those Quakers do make some good beer.  Hop Devil is pretty good 

logamaniac's picture

put the glasses on your mantle and just crack open something from oskar blues