Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Heading to Ann Arbor for a soccer game this weekend, places to eat/see while up there?

Urbanabuck's picture
July 28, 2014 at 11:43pm
35 Comments

My son and I are heading to AA to watch Real Madrid (his team) vs Manchester United (my team) play on August 2nd. We've heard Zingerman's is a good place to go as well as Krazy Jimmy's Blimpy burger. Anyone have other suggestions as it looks like we'll be getting lunch and dinner in the area? Thanks!

InTressITrust's picture

Toledo has a lot of really good places. Plus you avoid giving that state more money.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+3 HS
osu07asu10's picture

A Woody Hayes just got his wings

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
hodge's picture

First off, let me tell you how jealous I am of you for getting tickets to that game.  Regarding drinking and dining, MGoBlog has the definitive guide to Ann Arbor, but I'll do my best to supplement with are a few highlights from my last trip up there earlier this month:

• Ashley's - If I were to imagine nirvana, this place pretty much nails it in the summer: chill vibe, a well-curated draft list chock full of local one-offs, 50+ single malts, and a ton of really greasy, really good bar food.  Skip the poutine, my curds were cold.
  • Jolly Pumpkin Brewpub - If you dig on Belgian ale, this place is pretty rad.  Naturally, they stock a pretty robust selection of their own beer, but round their draft list out with a solid selection of local favorites.  The food's pricier, but it's worth the price tag.  The potato pizza, Not Just a BLT, and truffled fries were all fantastic.
  • Northside Grill - I hit this place up for brunch and was not disappointed.  Very good diner fare, reminded me a lot of OSU's Hang Over Easy (perhaps not quite as good, but I'm also biased and have had much more at HOE).
  • Sava's - Another brunch destination, though they're open for lunch and dinner as well.  Definitely the priciest place on the list, but really creative, really well executed stuff here.  They have an incredible list of cocktails to boot.
  • Grizzly Peak Brewery - Solid food and solid beer in a real family friendly environment.  According to MgoBlog, this place is where most students wind up taking their parents.

I also tried Zingerman's on my way out of town, and while it was certainly impressive, I wasn't altogether blown away.  Being raised in Columbus, I ate a lot of Katzinger's growing up (which apparently was based upon Zingerman's), and I really didn't see a whole lot of difference between the two places.  Zingerman's has a bit more creative menu and a better shop, but those are both tempered by the sheer batshit insanity of the place.  Don't get me wrong: it's probably still worth a visit, but I was a tad bit overwhelmed -- and that's a sensation I never experience at Katzinger's.  Granted, I also ate my sandwich three-and-a-half hours after purchasing it, but it was still on par with Katzinger's sandwiches after a similar rest.

+1 HS
Urbanabuck's picture

Thanks guys, this gets me a start. Jolly Pumpkin might be okay for my son's palette though he is unable to imbibe. 

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Really, any of the last four on my list are.  Northside and Grizzly Peak are definitely family-friendly; while Sava's is more upscale, it's definitely not inappropriate for children.

osu07asu10's picture

No?

I kid...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

lljjgg's picture

In addition to Hodge's excellent recommendations:

Pizza House - great deep dish pizza, amazing garlic cheese bread (super addictive, Pic Here).
Frita Batidos - if you're into something different (that you can't get just anywhere), they have REALLY good/addictive beef fritas w/egg, fries, and their special sauce (Pic Here) and rum batidos (essentially an alcoholic smoothie).
Shalimar - very good (though slightly pricey) Indian food. Someone mentioned Toledo earlier (which is only around 30 minutes from A2, and on the drive back for many of us Ohioans): for my money's worth, I'd recommend Tandoor in Toledo when it comes to anyone willing to give Indian food a shot. By far the best Chicken Tikka Masala of any Indian place I've ever been to in the U.S.; many of my friends disagree with me on that, however haha.

And you're right in that Zingerman's is a must. BIG fan of "Jon and Amy's Double Dip" there (Pic Here).

+1 HS
hodge's picture

That was the exact sandwich I ordered at Zingerman's haha. 

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

Really good sandwich! Super pricy though (as is pretty much all of Zingerman's) IMO, but one of those places I feel like you have to try at least once. I like that particular sandwich for a newbie though as it gives you a chance to try both their pastrami and corned beef, as well as both their pumpernickel and rye breads. Good starting point!

Byaaaahhh's picture

Blimpy's was really good. There's a Korean fried chicken place on the north end of campus (I think) called Seoul Street. I don't know if you've ever had Korean fried chicken before, but it's magical. They fry it in a pressure fryer, then again in a normal deep fryer. Sounds intimidating, but it's not any greasier than any normal fried chicken. What it does is give you a glorious crackle on the skin that I've not experienced before. Not only that, but they have two options for sauce: Hot&spicy or Sweet Garlic. Spicy is not something that will burn you, but carries a lot of flavor. Sweet garlic is also amazing if you're into mild sauces too. 

tl;dr Seoul Street for amazing Korean fried chicken. 

Byaaaahhh's picture

...writing about this has given me a craving. :/

Urbanabuck's picture

This looks well worth a trip to north campus for dinner! May have to head up Friday to get an extra meal in. Love Korean food!

brunstar's picture

I'd definately bring a change of clothes sealed in some kind of air tight container.  You don't want to smell like crap in your way back home from that place.  I was there for The Game in 2005, the smell would've have been overwhelming on the ride home to Columbus if it hadn't been for Pittman scoring the winning touchdown with 30 seconds left in the game.  Luckily that helped mask the stench.

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

I'm sorry to say, but some of the best pizza I've ever had came from a place in Chelsea (15 min West of AA). It's called Thompson's, and I thought it was a fluke so I went back on my next trip up there. No fluke, it's good, whatever you get ask for the garlic crust. 

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

You'll drive right by the enormous Cabella's store in Dundee on your way to AA ..... I always try to stop if I have the time.

+1 HS
DCNick's picture

I often stop at that store around Thanksgiving, which is also around the OSU-Michigan game. There's always lots of people wearing Buckeyes gear. That may be the real state line.

toad1204's picture

Just be sure to fill up before you cross the border.  

And on your way back watch out for the Toledo vice when you cross the border.  They like to keep the Michigan speed limit in Michigan.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

They like to keep the Michigan speed limit in Michigan.

There is no limit in Michigan. It's just the "suggested" speed limit.  If you are from out of state and you get pulled over by a Michigan State Policeman, they will confiscate your license unless you give them $100 cash. This has happened to me, a family member and others I've talked to. Once the ticket is paid in full, they will then mail your driver's license back to you, which takes weeks, of course.

Urbanabuck's picture

Lol, so the list is:

Fill up before leaving OH.

Extra change of clothes for maliferous odors.

Watch speed when returning to OH.

Sounds like Zingerman's for one meal and it will be up to the kid for the second meal based on great recommendations. He's fairly adventurous so we'll hopefully try something ethnic.

Our hotel is about two miles from the stadium so I'm hoping there will be a shuttle service to/from. Are there any seedy areas that we may need to avoid if we walk? Hotel is off Victor's Way close to Briarwood Mall.

Thanks to all who have replied!

+1 HS
M Man's picture

Our hotel is about two miles from the stadium so I'm hoping there will be a shuttle service to/from. Are there any seedy areas that we may need to avoid if we walk? Hotel is off Victor's Way close to Briarwood Mall.

No; it is a perfectly safe, although somewhat longish, walk.  I see people doing it by the dozens for football game days.  Get a good Google satellite image, and you'll be able to figure out how to turn half of that walk (enter the Ford Tennis Complex off State Street and then head north where you see other people walking) into a magnificent stroll across Michigan's Alister Mackenzie-Perry Maxwell golf course.  If it is a nice day, you will thank me.  If you can find someone to direct you to the left rough of the 9th fairway, you will find the most magnificent buckeye trees you will ever see.

The Tennis/Wrestling/Gymnastics complex is referred to as the Brown Lot on football game days.  If you go there and park (saving yourselves about a 1.5 mile walk) you can do the same thing.

Urbanabuck's picture

Sounds like a plan! Brown lot it will be. There was an offer of a pregame buffet and drinks at the golf course but I didn't want to try to get $75 worth of drinks into myself and he won't eat that much! Appreciate the scenic route directions.

jeremytwoface's picture

I'm just jealous that you're going to see that game...

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

Urbanabuck's picture

Sweet 16 present for him and it's our soccer tOSU/ttun game, which we have already been to. Probably the only time we will be able to see these two massive clubs play in my lifetime. Can't wait!

BucksfanXC's picture

Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger closed because the University took over the land for a new apartment complex for grad housing or something. But they did get another location and are going to re-open, but not sure they will be open by this weekend in the new spot.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+1 HS
M Man's picture

Correct.  I actually haven't heard anything definite about their reopening.

It's just me, but I always preferred Pizza Bob's to Krazy Jim's.  And Pizza Bob's is still going strong.

BucksfanXC's picture

I heard on their Facebook page they are aiming for an August open, but I doubt that meant Aug 2nd because it was just last week I saw that post.

Pizza Bob's is also good but I usually am magnetically pulled towards BTB if I'm that close to it. Mr Spots was also one of my lunch spots when I wasn't feeling eating healthy or my packed lunch.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

Seattle Linga's picture

I've only been there once but a good rule to follow is - just eat fast - Hoke is probably close by... 

KB3RG's picture

My wife went to Eastern and I went with her to Maize and Blue Deli once. They have some good sandwiches. We heard of the place as it was on one of those diner drive in and dive tv show.

I live near toledo and there are some good places to eat depending on what you are looking for. 

Focaccias is a great lunch only place. Get the Holy Toledo.
Tony Packos can never go wrong with them. Great chili dogs
Perrysburg has Biaggis. Very good Italian food. 
PizzaPapalis can find this in Toledo or Detroit. Very good deep dish but takes 45 minutes to make. I always call ahead and get it to go.

apack614's picture

Eat one of these

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Urbanabuck's picture

Better as road kill, which I have sworn off of.... Heard they are greasy too.

BucksfanXC's picture

Just got offered a ticket to this game and I will now be going too. I'm pumped

Urbanabuck's picture

Nice! Hope you have a great time. Glory, glory Man United!

Rob Reese's picture

Don't do it, I was there once and it was the worst weekend of my life.   AND I'VE BEEN TO JAIL SIXTEEN TIMES!

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

If you have a free minute in downtown AA right by the stadium, there's a pretty cool memorabilia store called, simply, Ann Arbor Sports Memorabilia. My dad has a piece of memorabilia on display at the guys store, and I still think it's not for sale -

http://mvictors.com/?p=130192

M Man's picture

You could always visit Michigan's one public memorial to an athlete -- Jesse Owens of The Ohio State University.  It is at Ferry Field.  Near the entrance to Yost Ice Arena, about a ten-minute walk from Michigan Stadium.

+1 HS